cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Case Design and, Modding.. Need iputs..

KPRage
Level 10
Hey guys,

I am very very new to Case designing and, modding.. As of now, I have plans on creating my own case design.. I have it on paper with measurements done by tape :D. Wwould like to create a proper rendering of it in the system to check virtually if everything fits and, works.. Can someone please suggest or, point me to any software which I should use for this?

In terms of dimensions, are there any standards that I need to know about before designing the case? Also, would really appreciate the guidance on the software part too.. 😉 😄

Thanks,
KP
CPU: Intel i5 3570k OC'd to 4.6GHz @1.170V; Mobo: MVG; GPU: Zotac 1070 mini OC'd to +210MHz/+205MHz; Memory: 8GB (2X4GB dual channel) Corsair Vengeance 1333Mhz 9-10-9-T2; SSD: Samsung 840 pro; HDD: 1TB WD Green 6Gbps; PSU: Corsair GS 600w; Case: Bitfenix Merc Alpha:Hybrid Octane in progress; Cooler: Corsair H80 closed loop cooling @ high profile;

Pre & Post Build Guide

A lot of epic FAIL videos are made before one epic WIN video is made 🙂
25 REPLIES 25

Chewitt
Level 10
Hello,

Try http://www.sketchup.com/ to render it, the free version will do what you need as for dimensions im not 100% sure myself but im sure someone will be over soon to give that info.
CPU - AMD Phenom II 555 OC'd and UCC'd to Phenom II B55 at 3709MHz
RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX Beast
MoBo - ASRock 890GX Extreme3
GPU - Asus HD 6850 Direct CU
SDD - 240GB Kingston HyperX

ROG RealBench Score = TBB

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
For newbies KP, I do highly recommend Sketchup, it's what i've been doing my work in with Shadow Bench, also, i've just started using a trial version of Luxion Keyshot, to make my renders look even better, check out the thread 🙂

Look forward to seeing what you come up with 🙂

I also use this site for what's known as Components: http://scc.jezmckean.com/

When you get a bit more confident with Sketchup, you'll probably want to make your own components, because to be honest while the site I linked in has some really good stuff...it doesn't get updated all too often. Oh and look for Sketchup's Tutorial videos, they will really help 🙂

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
For newbies KP, I do highly recommend Sketchup, it's what i've been doing my work in with Shadow Bench, also, i've just started using a trial version of Luxion Keyshot, to make my renders look even better, check out the thread 🙂

Look forward to seeing what you come up with 🙂

I also use this site for what's known as Components: http://scc.jezmckean.com/

When you get a bit more confident with Sketchup, you'll probably want to make your own components, because to be honest while the site I linked in has some really good stuff...it doesn't get updated all too often. Oh and look for Sketchup's Tutorial videos, they will really help 🙂
Hey Myk.. I have downloaded this now.. However, any idea on what layout to choose when starting it? I tried a few.. Tried exploring it, found a few useful stuff but still stuck in the main things.. Any pointers would help..

Thanks,
KP
CPU: Intel i5 3570k OC'd to 4.6GHz @1.170V; Mobo: MVG; GPU: Zotac 1070 mini OC'd to +210MHz/+205MHz; Memory: 8GB (2X4GB dual channel) Corsair Vengeance 1333Mhz 9-10-9-T2; SSD: Samsung 840 pro; HDD: 1TB WD Green 6Gbps; PSU: Corsair GS 600w; Case: Bitfenix Merc Alpha:Hybrid Octane in progress; Cooler: Corsair H80 closed loop cooling @ high profile;

Pre & Post Build Guide

KPRage
Level 10
Thanks a lot Chweitt for the quick response.. Will download it now and, explore it more.. 🙂

Pre & Post Build Guide

Chewitt
Level 10
No issues, looking forward to seeing what you design.
CPU - AMD Phenom II 555 OC'd and UCC'd to Phenom II B55 at 3709MHz
RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX Beast
MoBo - ASRock 890GX Extreme3
GPU - Asus HD 6850 Direct CU
SDD - 240GB Kingston HyperX

ROG RealBench Score = TBB

proudpiper
Level 7
While sketchup is a great program it lacks driving dimensions, which make creating an dimensionally accurate model much easier that the native set up present in sketchup. There are some plugins for sketchup that add driving dimensions however I haven't seen or heard of any free ones that weren't watered down in order to convince you to purchase a paid version.

If you have a Mac, Autodesk's Inventor Fusion is a great free CAD program that has driving dimensions included in the software. You can download it in the Mac App Store. Happy Modding! 😄

proudpiper wrote:
While sketchup is a great program it lacks driving dimensions, which make creating an dimensionally accurate model much easier that the native set up present in sketchup. There are some plugins for sketchup that add driving dimensions however I haven't seen or heard of any free ones that weren't watered down in order to convince you to purchase a paid version.

If you have a Mac, Autodesk's Inventor Fusion is a great free CAD program that has driving dimensions included in the software. You can download it in the Mac App Store. Happy Modding! 😄
Thanks for the info proudpiper.. Sorry mate, your words just flew over my head.. Very new to this and, still trying to figure out the lingo.. Err, can you kindly explain it in common man terms? 🙂

Cheers,
KP

Pre & Post Build Guide

KPRage wrote:
Thanks for the info proudpiper.. Sorry mate, your words just flew over my head.. Very new to this and, still trying to figure out the lingo.. Err, can you kindly explain it in common man terms? 🙂

Cheers,
KP

Sorry for the delayed response time. Driving dimensions are when you are able to add a dimension to some aspect of the 3D object, edit that dimension, and then have the object visually adjust accordingly. In sketchup you are able to measure dimensions and even have other aspects of the sketch be affected by said dimension, however you lack the ability to put in multiple dimensions that will adjust the object accordingly. This makes it rather difficult when you are trying to input precise dimensions because you tend to end up using the Push/Pull tool, measuring length, and then repeating until you get the right dimension. Below I have linked some videos explaining what I'm talking about.

The first video shows a plugin for Sketchup that adds driving dimensions. The only downside to this plugin is that if you want to add more than 10 driving dimensions you need to get the paid version which is rather expensive.

The second video show someone using a program called Solidworks, which has native driving dimensions. I added this so that you could see it used in a professional setting as well as some of the other benefits of using higher level CAD software.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uqvPu7fp_0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MABLNdK0Hac

proudpiper wrote:
Sorry for the delayed response time. Driving dimensions are when you are able to add a dimension to some aspect of the 3D object, edit that dimension, and then have the object visually adjust accordingly. In sketchup you are able to measure dimensions and even have other aspects of the sketch be affected by said dimension, however you lack the ability to put in multiple dimensions that will adjust the object accordingly. This makes it rather difficult when you are trying to input precise dimensions because you tend to end up using the Push/Pull tool, measuring length, and then repeating until you get the right dimension. Below I have linked some videos explaining what I'm talking about.

The first video shows a plugin for Sketchup that adds driving dimensions. The only downside to this plugin is that if you want to add more than 10 driving dimensions you need to get the paid version which is rather expensive.

The second video show someone using a program called Solidworks, which has native driving dimensions. I added this so that you could see it used in a professional setting as well as some of the other benefits of using higher level CAD software.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uqvPu7fp_0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MABLNdK0Hac
Ahh now it all makes sense.. Thanks mate.. Will try this out asa I get my system to work..

Cheers,
KP

Pre & Post Build Guide