cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hero build

H3r3tiC
Level 7
it time to upgrade my maximus formula who has served me well since the beginning of 2008.
I've been reading and examining possible components for the last week.
main use for now will be gaming tho i will not exclude content creation

currently my list of components looks like this.

CPU Intel i5-4670K
motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VI HERO
PSU Seasonic G-650
Memory Corsair 16GB DDR3-2400MHz Vengeance Pro
SSD (for boot) Plextor 128GB M5S
case Fractal design arc Midi R2
Cooling Corsair h110 (will get that later I assume coming from a e8400 it will already be computer heaven)

for the Gpu i will keep using the MSi twin frozr3 6950 from my current system for now. Only thing is one of the fans stopped working so its a little crippled but i might be able to keep on to it until we can see AMD's new gpu's

other options i looked at are

getting an fractal design r4 without window and use a noctua ND 14 tho it seems uncertain the ram will fit under that.

or case like obsedian 550D

asfar as i know the fractal arc midi is the only one that can fit the corsair H110

the vengeance pro 2400 Ram is listed as 1,65v will that be a problem?
also is there a benefit in going higher than 1600mhz?

edit:

forgot to mention I already bought an 1TB WDblue for the games

any insights, tips and opinions welcome
11 REPLIES 11

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forums, H3r3tiC.

Component wise, everything will work good together. If you use the D14, the RAM will not fit unless you remove the heatsinks. I've seen the difference between the H110 and it's younger brother, the H100i. I'd recommend you get the H100i because it's still one of the best closed loop systems. And it's easier to find a case that supports a 240mm radiator than a 280mm radiator.

Most if not all fast frequency RAM use 1.65v nowdays. It's the standard. For gaming, anything over 1600MHz isn't worth it because the gains, if there are any, are really insignificant.

Personally I'd get a bigger PSU if you'll be overclocking or planning to use multiple GPUs. And if the budget permits it, a 250GB SSD, preferrably a Samsung 840.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Solid system and Chino is giving you some good advice.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

H3r3tiC
Level 7
thanks for your warm welcome 🙂

oddly enough according to the noctua site the vengeance pro fit
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_ram_gen&products_id=34&lng=en
could it be there are other models vengeance pro? haven't found any dimensions listed on the corsair site.

thanks for the other suggestions I'll look in to it

Chino
Level 15
I know for a fact that the is like 44mm of clearance space for the D14. And from the reviews I've read on the Vengeance PRO, those measure 44mm with the heatsink. Not to mention the extra height of the RAM slots. But then again Noctua is an awesome company. They know their products better than I do. 😛 If they say it'll fit, then it would probably fit.

vegasf1
Level 7
I bought a Noctua D14 for my hero VI and had to return it, but it was because my mid tower case was slightly too narrow so I had to go with a NH-U12S which should have no problems with the case or memory. We'll see this week when I attempt to put it together. *crosses fingers*

vegasf1 wrote:
I bought a Noctua D14 for my hero VI and had to return it, but it was because my mid tower case was slightly too narrow so I had to go with a NH-U12S which should have no problems with the case or memory. We'll see this week when I attempt to put it together. *crosses fingers*

You shouldn't encounter any problems since the NH-U12S was designed with tall RAM compatibility in mind. Here you can see how it fits perfectly even on a mATX motherboard (Asus Maximus IV Gene-z).

Chino wrote:
You shouldn't encounter any problems since the NH-U12S was designed with tall RAM compatibility in mind. Here you can see how it fits perfectly even on a mATX motherboard (Asus Maximus IV Gene-z).

Now I'm really excited! I also got the 2nd fan so I can do a push/pull config.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger

these are the items I ordered so far

Intel i5-4670K
Seasonic G-650
Asus MAXIMUS VI HERO
Corsair 16GB DDR3-2400MHz Vengeance Pro
Plextor 256GB M5S
fractal arc midi r2

Microsoft Windows 8, 64bit, DVD, OEM, EN

i stuck with the ram cause it was the only one they had in stock the 1600 version would have to be back ordered.

i looked at the samsung drives and the seemed indeed very popular and well received however I choose to stick with the plextor.
the plextor uses MLC instead of TLC. I have had really good experience with the quality of plextor products in the past and it feels like a good thing to supports a smaller company instead of the giant samsung. i did however follow the suggestion to get a bigger drive assuming it would be better for me to have more ssd space than more ssd speed. Now i can stick a couple of games on there that would need quick map loading the rest can go on the 1tb wd blue i already have. I think its safe to assume that the plextor s5 will already be a big improvement over the 2 750gb samsung f1 in raid0 I'm using now.

Is there any benefit in partitioning an ssd?

for the power supply I used a calculator and added everything i possibly ever wanted and for that the advice was 625W watts. from what i can tell this psu is already strong enough to support an extra card if i wanted too. Since i have a unraid storage server i wont need to add many drives to this build. maybe 1 more disk for work or storage
I do think i will stick with single cards unless i get suddenly rich :P.

I hold out on both the cpu cooler and graphics card wanting to do some more research on that.
I know however the h110 will fit the arc midi case. since the case has a window it will be unlikely i choose a Noctua cooler since they are not exactly good looking. Imagine how much more Noctua would sell if the made more color options for their fans 🙂 . other options would be the swiftech h220 which has a copper radiator. often i read the advice to replace the fans with noctua ones which are really pricy if going that route it might be an option to research what a custom loop would cost

if all goes well the items will arrive this evening and i can start building

cheers!

H3r3tiC wrote:
I went ahead and pulled the trigger

these are the items I ordered so far

Intel i5-4670K
Seasonic G-650
Asus MAXIMUS VI HERO
Corsair 16GB DDR3-2400MHz Vengeance Pro
Plextor 256GB M5S
fractal arc midi r2

Microsoft Windows 8, 64bit, DVD, OEM, EN

i stuck with the ram cause it was the only one they had in stock the 1600 version would have to be back ordered.

i looked at the samsung drives and the seemed indeed very popular and well received however I choose to stick with the plextor.
the plextor uses MLC instead of TLC. I have had really good experience with the quality of plextor products in the past and it feels like a good thing to supports a smaller company instead of the giant samsung. i did however follow the suggestion to get a bigger drive assuming it would be better for me to have more ssd space than more ssd speed. Now i can stick a couple of games on there that would need quick map loading the rest can go on the 1tb wd blue i already have. I think its safe to assume that the plextor s5 will already be a big improvement over the 2 750gb samsung f1 in raid0 I'm using now.

Is there any benefit in partitioning an ssd?

for the power supply I used a calculator and added everything i possibly ever wanted and for that the advice was 625W watts. from what i can tell this psu is already strong enough to support an extra card if i wanted too. Since i have a unraid storage server i wont need to add many drives to this build. maybe 1 more disk for work or storage
I do think i will stick with single cards unless i get suddenly rich :P.

I hold out on both the cpu cooler and graphics card wanting to do some more research on that.
I know however the h110 will fit the arc midi case. since the case has a window it will be unlikely i choose a Noctua cooler since they are not exactly good looking. Imagine how much more Noctua would sell if the made more color options for their fans 🙂 . other options would be the swiftech h220 which has a copper radiator. often i read the advice to replace the fans with noctua ones which are really pricy if going that route it might be an option to research what a custom loop would cost

if all goes well the items will arrive this evening and i can start building

cheers!

I sorta went with a similar build except for a seasonic x series 1000w power supply. I'm taking no chances with all of the stuff I'm packing in the computer.

I started last night and since it has been a long time since I have built a computer, I will take my time. I think the hardest part will be the installation of the cpu cooler, but I'll check youtube for videos on my specific cooler and the cpu bracket it uses.

Good luck. I know you gotta be as excited as I am.