cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Natural" Scrolling in Windows 8 [solved]

MikeV
Level 7
After getting fed up with OS X and especially Time Machine. I switched to Windows 8 (and ASUS, obviously). One of the things I miss from the Apple world is the inverted or "natural" scrolling. Would there be any way to configure the touchpad so that it would have similar scrolling behavior to that of my late Mac?

I tried the ASUS gesture suite, but there were no options to invert scrolling. I am aware that Windows has a registry and the answer might lie there, but I would rather not go blindly poking in there. Brief binging (as in googling) revealed that there might also be a driver that enables "ELAN" menu in the mouse settings. However, again, I would not like to install drivers randomly and hope something would work.

Any idea how to proceed?
8 REPLIES 8

HiVizMan
Level 40
http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57434213-285/how-to-reverse-scroll-in-windows-like-os-x-lion/

Here you go.

I use Apple quite a bit for my family and love my Macbook AIR touchpad.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

MikeV
Level 7
The solution you provided works, but the scrolling speed is quite fast. I'll stick to this for now and hope that the promised touchpad improvements in Windows 8.1 remove the need for this kind of hacks.

AutoHotKey seems to be quite useful piece of software for things other than reversing the touchpad scroll axes, too. Thank you for your help!

HiVizMan
Level 40
All good mate, enjoy your system.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Just wanted to let you know that you can download the "vanilla" Elantech drivers from: http://www.station-drivers.com/page/elantech.htm

When installed, an "ELAN" tab will appear inMouse settings window

Using regedit you can enable more options in the options window under:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\SmartPadDisplay (enable setting visibility in the UI)
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\SmartPad (enable even more settings in the UI and directly set the option values)

I used these to set reverse (natural) scrolling on the touchpad and disabled the TP while typing.

The keys you need to edit to enable natural scrolling are under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\SmartPad
SC_Reverse_Enable (set value to 1)
SC_Reverse_ShowItem (set valut to 1)

I did not notice an immediate change when I did this, but when I launched the ELAN settings and toggled the reverse option now visible under two-finger scroll it started working. This way of "natural scrolling" is much smoother than that offered by AutoHotKey.

This below works perfectly for Windows 7, Samsung Series 9 laptop which offers no UI options to set it.

Thank you!

MikeV wrote:
Just wanted to let you know that you can download the "vanilla" Elantech drivers from: http://www.station-drivers.com/page/elantech.htm

When installed, an "ELAN" tab will appear inMouse settings window

Using regedit you can enable more options in the options window under:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\SmartPadDisplay (enable setting visibility in the UI)
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\SmartPad (enable even more settings in the UI and directly set the option values)

I used these to set reverse (natural) scrolling on the touchpad and disabled the TP while typing.

The keys you need to edit to enable natural scrolling are under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\SmartPad
SC_Reverse_Enable (set value to 1)
SC_Reverse_ShowItem (set valut to 1)

I did not notice an immediate change when I did this, but when I launched the ELAN settings and toggled the reverse option now visible under two-finger scroll it started working. This way of "natural scrolling" is much smoother than that offered by AutoHotKey.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Thank you hugely for that mate. Nice one.

I just helped a friend to set up his G750, too, and it turns out you don't have to install new drivers. Setting the registry key I mentioned is enough.

elwin133
Level 7
Just found this thread and it helped so much. For those with Asus Vivobooks with Smart Gesture like my X202E it is very easy to change.
Regedit - - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ASUS\ASUS Smart Gesture\ReverseScrolling - change (0) to (1)
That is all I did and after rebooting, it reversed and it is just as smooth as before.