Trying to build my first pc:
Asus maximus V extreme
intel i7-3770k
6gb radeon hd 3990
16gb corsair vengeance ram
224gb ssd corsair neutron
1000w cooler master silent pro gold
bitfenix colossus case

I've put everything together and all the parts seem to be working fine when powered up but I get an error q-code "AE" which according to the manual means "legacy boot event". I have no idea what that means but I get no output via hdmi cable and i cant even get to the bios screen.

Any help would be appreciated.
16 REPLIES 16

HiVizMan
Level 40
That is as it should be.

Those Q-codes are not error code by the way they are informative diagnostic codes. So AE means your system has handed over from POST to the AHCI in other words you are in OS.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

but I have no OS 😞 It stopped showing AE and now it's showing A2. all the parts are in correctly, I triple checked and uninstalled the psu to be sure but it won't go into bios or anything. i get "no cable detected" on my monitor and the motherboard just shows A2 😞

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please tell me what you actually have physically connected to your motherboard.

Keyboard mouse and so on.

How are you connecting to your PC monitor?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

cystemic
Level 7
First I connected everything up and it gave me AE shortly followed by A2. I then tried tried to connect only the basics: cpu fan, graphics card, ram (corsair vengeance), PSU. It gave me the same error. So i unplugged the whole thing, uninstalled the PSU, removed the CPU and did a fresh install and wiped CMOS. Put everything back together and it still says A2. Currently connected is motherboard, cpu fan, graphics card, hard drives, disc drive, ram and I am connecting to my PC monitor through HDMI but it just says no signal 😞 Any ideas?

HiVizMan
Level 40
So you have no keyboard and no mouse currently?

You did a fresh install of what?

You screen is connected to the VGA or the onboard graphics?

cystemic
Level 7
I have a keyboard and mouse connected, I haven't installed anything because I never got as far as a bios screen and I didn't have an optical drive the first time. There is no OS on any hard drive. I'm currently connecting the motherboard to the monitor using an hdmi cable.

HiVizMan
Level 40
OK 🙂

If you have your OS disc you can make a USB install disc with Microsofts USBtool by the way. That way you do not need a DVD drive.

To enter BIOS you will need to use the F2 button or the del button on the numeric keypad by the way. Could you please try that and see if you can get into BIOS

News! I pressed the switch bios button at the bottom of the board and I got AE on the motherboard again shortly followed by A0 but still no output to monitor via HDMI 😞

cystemic
Level 7
No, that's the whole point. I can't even get into BIOS. It just says no signal on my monitor and A2 on the motherboard, doesn't matter what key I press. I've now installed the disk drive and inserted a windows os cd but its still the same. no signal and A2