cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JX - 1day old - Black Screen and not Booting

Nmigaz
Level 7
Hello all,

I purchased a new G750JX-4048H last Friday and very please with my choice, regarding speed, design, heat dissipation and noise. Nice extras with a rog mouse and a backpack. Installed Norton, steam and a couple of games.

Everything was going well until tonight, less then 24h after my purchase, when the notebook refused to boot.
Symptoms :
- Black screen, no image at all;
- led states : left led active, battery led active (green) ; numlock led active; no discernible disk activity

What I tried so far :
- Press the power button for 4 seconds and tried to reboot after
- Removed the battery and tried to boot with AC power only

I really don't want to open it up at this stage because of the warranty, and I'm probably going to return it to the store Monday unless I'm missing something basic. Anyone has any ideas I can try before that ?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

PS: Also tried to connect it to a External Monitor via HDMI to check if the problem was the screen, same result black screen.
11 REPLIES 11

Xbcxbc
Level 7
Call support, ask for VIP support and RMA it. Make sure you don't have to pay for shipping. Another option is that you ask the seller to replace it for you since you unit was pretty much DOA.

dstrakele
Level 14
Since your laptop is only a week old, @Xbcxbc's other option is the one you want to follow. You can contact your retailer and exchange your defective laptop for a new one (or get a refund).

If you RMA your defective laptop to ASUS, it becomes YOUR problem, and you'll have to wait without a computer until ASUS repairs it and then ships it back to you. There is no guarantee the ASUS repair attempt will be successful, which would result in another RMA.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

rewben
Level 13
hi drew! long time no see!

@Nmigaz, like @dstrakele pointed out, the sequence is to deal with the retailer first since you're just a few days having the machine (normally they should have one-to-one exchange service).

PPanda
Level 8
Yeah, I would like to (unfortunately) echo your experience.

I bought the G750JW three weeks ago only to realize the CPU paste job was bad and was hitting temps over 100c. I RMAed and recieved it back today, it worked for ~2hours (well, the CPU was wayyy cooler), and then then screen went black. I tried EVERYTHING and the computer LCD wont turn on.

Thus, I am RMAing again tomorrow in hopes they will fix it. Am I just unlucky or are ASUS computers complete turds?

Pitcher1
Level 9
please send RMA again, tell them problem detial and make sure they have duplicate your problem.

PPanda
Level 8
Thanks pitcher but the point is that I didnt pay $1600 to spend the first 3 weeks of ownership doing multiple RMAs and spending 6 hours on the phone. The FedEx guy came today to pick up the 2nd RMA and after waiting for an hour the FedEx manager said ASUS had issued the Pickup order incorrectly and that I'd have to call again. I'm on the phone now for 3 hours waiting for them to fix the issue. The ASUS RMA support (Ian) put me on hold until the call dropped and now I'm on the phone with Andrew from the Carribean and he can't figure it out either.

I don't see what the issue is but the bottom line is that if you buy Asus you can expect to WORK hours RMAing your laptop to hopefully get a functional unit. I don't even want to read my phone-bill this month and I doubt Asus will reimburse me. I have had to stay home waiting for pickups 2 days now and it sounds like, if they can figure out how to issue a FedEx pickup, i'll have to wait home again tomorrow.

I'll continue to post on these and other forums about my experience until I get a working g750JW, if that even exists.

OP you are not alone, buying from Asus was a mistake.

wxngs
Level 7
Wow, Did you order from amazon? Because I did and I hae the EXACT same problem that you are having. Really dissapointed in ASUS right now.

PPanda
Level 8
I bought it in Microbytes Montreal store-front. They ordered it in though so it might have been from amazon.

Get this: they said they would post a Waybill Fedex pickup for a pick-up tomorrow and were all apologetic and said I would get it in a email in an hour. Guess what? No email. Also: called them and they said they don't know.

I'm pretty much phucked at this point. Broken computer, Asus won't even pick it up to look at it. I'm going to open a complaint with the BBB (Better business bureau), I suggest you all do the same.

Nmigaz
Level 7
Just a quick update regarding regarding my original problem, just before returning it to the retailer I tried on last time to restart the notebook and started without any problem.

Did some additional searching on the web regarding Windows 8 booting that led to computer freezing when in sleep mode.
So far it has been working properly, went through 3DMark testing without a glitch, Tomb Raider in Ultra mode gets the screen full of artifacts in later stages of the game, but that can be a driver issue (hopefully).

So i decided to bite the bullet and keep it a bit longer... probably going to stress test / monitor temperatures during the weekend.