cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery life with NVIDIA GPU turned off?

mvadu
Level 7
Hi, i am planning to buy this laptop for occasional gaming but regular Photoshop and Visual Studio uses. I am leaning towards this then other Asus Haswell models due to its easy to upgrade ram and dual HDD bays. I would like to know
1. Can I turn off external gpu on demand? I know it does not support NVIDIA optimus, but can I at least use HD4000 gpu when needed?
2. If I just use Intel internal gpu what is the battery life gain i can expect?

This is the product i am looking at, its cheaper than Best buy version and comes with 12gb ram.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00COQIKB4
7 REPLIES 7

Flea0
Level 10
I'm afraid the intel graphics are physically disconnected from the display controller on the G750. The integrated gpu doesn't even show up on the device manager. Honestly the battery life is quite respectable despite this.
ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display

mvadu
Level 7
Hmm.. interesting. I was reading another thread , and they are comparing Intel gpu to NVIDIA one.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33760-Bad-displays-horizontal-lines-issue&p=280240&viewfull...

EpIcSnIpErZ23
Level 8
It's True what Intel Dude is saying. I love this laptop! 🙂
Desktop: [CPU: i5-4670k] [GPU: R9 290x] [RAM: 8GB] [HDD: 3x 1tb Raid 0] [MOBO: MSI Z87 M-Power]

Asus G750JW-DB71
CPU: Intel Core i7-4700HQ
GPU: Nvidia GTX 765m [GPU CLOCK: 997MHZ] [MEMORY CLOCK: 6 GHZ]
RAM: 12GB
HDD: 1x 1TB HDD
SSD: 1x 64GB SSD
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198055414700/
Origin ID: DriftingSloth

mvadu
Level 7
Intel Dude wrote:
All ASUS gaming notebooks don't have the Intel HD Graphics chipset and THANK THE LORD for that.

I think you are mistaking NVidia Optimus to Intel HD. With Intel HD (and core I series), the GPU is part of the CPU chip, so there is no way for Asus NOT to have Intel HD graphics chipset. What they can do however is to disable it in software. So my question was can we reverse the roles.

Any way, my G750 got shipped today, and will reach me on Wednesday, I will check and confirm then 🙂

mvadu wrote:
I think you are mistaking NVidia Optimus to Intel HD. With Intel HD (and core I series), the GPU is part of the CPU chip, so there is no way for Asus NOT to have Intel HD graphics chipset. What they can do however is to disable it in software. So my question was can we reverse the roles.

Any way, my G750 got shipped today, and will reach me on Wednesday, I will check and confirm then 🙂

I looked everywhere for the option and in the BIOS, it doesn't have an option to disable the GTX and use the Intel. You'll need to wait for a modified BIOS.

What I'm trying to say is, I'm 90% sure that optimus is disabled at a HARDWARE level, because the display is not connected to the integrated gpu at all.
ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display

Flea0 wrote:
What I'm trying to say is, I'm 90% sure that optimus is disabled at a HARDWARE level, because the display is not connected to the integrated gpu at all.

Yep, the display is connected directly to the GTX GPU, which as Intel Dude said, thank god. I don't like optimus either. Yes the battery life is great, since the GPU downclocks to 135 Mhz for powersaving and voltage idles low too.