cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G55VW Startup Woes: Video driver problem?

chrisZaal
Level 7
Hi guys,

I'm hoping to get some guidance on what could possibly be wrong with this laptop.

I upgraded the video card driver to the latest nvidia version (320.49). Now when the machine starts up or reboots, the screen does not come on and remains in a "black" state. I assume the OS is working in the background since I can hit the power button to put it into hibernate mode, give it 15 seconds or so and then hit the power button to bring it back up. I'm then sitting, as expected, at the login screen.

Any advice from the community? TIA.
4 REPLIES 4

Pitcher1
Level 9
please reflash back asus release driver to try again.

chrisZaal
Level 7
Thanks Pitcher. It's not the optimal solution but I'll take it since it seems to fix the issues I've encountered.

The driver version I've installed is dated the 20th of February and the version is 3.11. Does ASUS update their drivers regularly? Is there another update in the works to bring the default drivers for this laptop a little closer to the standard Nvidia driver release, which is currently sitting at 320.49?

Thanks!

lennyix
Level 7
I'm having this same problem.. I'm often wondering what's happening and reluctant to put it into hibernate. Sorry for my noobness, but what or where do I reflash back asus release driver?

winding_sul
Level 7
Same problem here. Every driver thats younger than 314.22 causes this problem on my G55VW in both, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. On my system it occurs only after a reboot -> the boot-screen is visible and the windows-login screen is black. It is black because the screen is on an external monitor (but no external monitor is plugged in). To get the screen back to the notebook-screen i have to toggle the external monitor-settings with windows-button+P until the screen reappears.
This is why i keep windows 8 with nvidia 314.22 for the moment and sometimes when a new driver is out i give it a try. My latest try was with the newest driver 332.21, sadly without success. 😞