cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XMP memory settings causes lockup at bootup screen on my Hero board

vegasf1
Level 7
If I put in auto for memory and 4200 clock speed I don't have issues, but whenever I reboot bios changes my settings from auto and recognizes my memory (see link below) correctly and changes it to XMP which is correct but then locks up at the 4 colored ball startup screen that turns into the windows logo except it never gets that far. It's plagued me all weekend. Argh!

I don't want to have to call some tech to look at it nor do I want to change boards after putting in hours (it's been a long time since I last built a puter) so I'm stuck with this problem as it won't keep my settings.

I don't understand why it recognizes it and changes it when my settings work. If anyone has a few settings to play with I'll try them. I don't want to fool around with voltage settinngs on my own so I guess that's where I want advice unless you think it's something else.

Here's my memory.
http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-2400c10d-16gtx

There's two saved settings for it in the updated BIOS so I'm sure it has worked well for others. I have a noctua NH 12-S fan with the added 2nd fan so I can't go nuts with voltage. But I think I can go a little higher. I just would like to know how much I should try if that is probably what I need to fix and which voltage settings. Back in the 90s there sure weren't this much different settings in BIOS for sure.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

I just think that it's so odd that it finds and puts in the right information for my memory, but makes it lockup.

Processor is a i5-4670K. I'm also curious what others with this processor are getting. I'm happy with 4200 and air cooled for now. I just can't stand this lockup problem. I guess I don't reboot too much once I have everything installed, but since this was a new build, I was rebooting a lot since a lot of software updates and other things required a reboot of the system.
7 REPLIES 7

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello mate

I am not quite sure I fully understand what the issue is besides that it is ram related.

Let us start at the beginning shall we.

What bios version are you on?
What is your CPU overclocked too?
How have your OC your CPU?
And finally are you using the XMP profile to OC your ram?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Hello mate

I am not quite sure I fully understand what the issue is besides that it is ram related.

Let us start at the beginning shall we.

What bios version are you on?
What is your CPU overclocked too?
How have your OC your CPU?
And finally are you using the XMP profile to OC your ram?

MAXIMUS VI HERO BIOS 0711
1.Revise help string in BIOS.
2.Fix XMP button issue
3.Improve system compatibility.

CPU is overclocked from 3.4 ghz to 4.2ghz
OC is through BIOS
I do not use the XMP profile and it works fine. But on a reboot, BIOS recognizes it and puts the xmp profile back in. I'll try the different slots. It's so weird that the memory from gskill is supposed to be really good and it can't handle this.

broncogr
Level 10
Does XMP work when leaving the processor frequency on auto?
If it does then it might be your cpu's IMC is weak

broncogr wrote:

Yeah it works on auto, but once it sees and recognizes it on the reboot I'm back to the beginning and changing settings again. Not a dealbreaker, but what a pain in the butt.

broncogr wrote:

Yeah it works on auto, but once it sees and recognizes it on the reboot I'm back to the beginning and changing settings again. Not a dealbreaker, but what a pain in the butt.

Raja
Level 13
Means it's not fully stable.

1) Use memory slots 1&3 (red), NOT 2&4 (black). Slots 1&3 overclock memory better than 2&4 on our ROG boards.

2) Udpate to the latest UEFI (BIOS)

3) DDR3-2400 can be difficult for some CPUs, you may have such a processor. You can try setting IO-D to 1.15V manually if it's not defaulting to that at DDR3-2400 and see if that helps.

vegasf1
Level 7
Tried swapping to the red slots, but the same thing happens. I'm hunting around for the IO-D setting, but can't find it. I think I'm stuck with this until there's another BIOS update.

Once I have all of my apps installed, I rarely will reboot so it won't bother me so much. It's just that I've been installing a lot of applications and updates at the beginning of a fresh computer requires a reboot which is why it's become really annoying. If swapping out another board was easier, I would probably think about it.