cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIVE and PCE-AC66

InoSiX
Level 7
I recently put together a 3930k with two 780s in SLI. Afterwards, I picked up a new RT-AC66u with a PCE-AC66 network card to go along with it. It installed, and seemed to work great for a little on the 5Gz range. Occasionally it wouldn't connect, but a restart took care of it. It got to the point where I couldn't connect at all, and Windows 8 simply said "checking network requirements" and then stated it wasn't able to connect. Event viewer doesn't say much, 'cept unknown error.

I reinstalled a fresh Windows 8, tried again, same thing. Using the drivers provided and the drivers from the website. I have tried using Windows 7, no dice. Same issue.

I have eliminated the router, as I have a 5ghz device that connects to the network everytime with no issue. Does anyone else have a RIVE and a PCE-AC66 that can shed some insight? Perhaps settings listed under the "advanced tab"?

Is it possible that even though the device installs fine, no BSODs and I can see the networks but cannot connect to them that the motherboard slot is bad? This all happened in the span of literally 4 days. I have also swapped out both items in an attempt to chase this problem down. It's driving me up the wall.

Thanks in advance!
8 REPLIES 8

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Which slots have you tried on the board mate?

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
Which slots have you tried on the board mate?

All but the ones I currently have the two 780s in on, 1 and 4 (or 3 if you count 2A and 2B).

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Have you tried using the card in another PC?

Apologies, just got back from a vacation. No, I have not had another PC to try this in. The only other PC I have has a mini ITX board with a PCI and PCIe x1 slot side by side, preventing me from installing the card even with the bracket removed.

I could attmpt to buy a ribbon cable to make the connection soley for the purpose of testing this.

I have however trade in the PCIe card and that did not solve the problem. I figured I'd come to a spot with a bunch of folks with a similar system. I am currently connected on a Dlink dwa-566 card I bought until I figure this out. I am connected to the 5Ghz network right now, so this is further confirmation that it isn't likely to be steaming from the router. It must be either a config issue or an incompatibility with something or bad hardware on the motherboard.

Dartmaul
Level 12
Just for testing purpose, try to force PCI-E slot you're using for this adapter to operate in v1.0 mode.
(You can find this setting in BIOS in chipset configuration menu)

So I adjusted the PCIe to gen 1. Additionally I removed the antennas on the back of the card to the magnet base and placed it on my computer. IT WORKED. Tickled pink with success, I removed the antennas, and I actually remained connected to the network (at some 200ish mbs).

When I placed the antenna back, I got disconnected. I placed them back on the mag base, and moved it where the HDMI and DVI-D connects are made (where the antenna would otherwise be if connected to the back of the card directly) and I lost connection and was unable to connect.

Windows shows full bars when the antenna is connected to the card direcly. What could cause that issue?

HiVizMan
Level 40
I would suggest a possible short on the mounting of the antenna. That is all I can think of.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

RoosterMKV
Level 7
Currently having some issues with an AC66-PCE with SLI 780s myself. Are you able to get the AC66 working in any slot other than the PCIEX1_1 slot?