cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 690 or 2

grassy
Level 12
I am using 2 x 690's in quad sli at the moment and am experiencing game lag especially when there is a whole lot happening for example boss fights in crisis 3. I was wondering if I should take 1 690 out and just use the 1. I have gone into control panel and changed my computer settings to high performance and it helped a little but there is still terrible lag and I cant understand why. By the way, I was thinking maybe the 2 690's are an overkill. I am using the latest drivers and used Driver Sweeper to remove the old ones.
FAME IS A MASK THAT EATS INTO THE FACE
13 REPLIES 13

kkn
Level 14
you can disable #2 by the dipswitch on the mobo and see if that is bether.
if you have had bether performance on erlyer drivers i would then go back and use those.

kkn wrote:
you can disable #2 by the dipswitch on the mobo and see if that is bether.
if you have had bether performance on erlyer drivers i would then go back and use those.
I will give that a try as a last resort. 🙂

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
hey grassy...just remind me mate...you got the extra PCIe power plugged in...The EZ plug? And the cards are in first and third red slot with the sound card in the black slot 2B? Have you tried running in Gen 2.0 and gen3.0 and seeing if there is a difference?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
hey grassy...just remind me mate...you got the extra PCIe power plugged in...The EZ plug? And the cards are in first and third red slot with the sound card in the black slot 2B? Have you tried running in Gen 2.0 and gen3.0 and seeing if there is a difference?
I have the ez plug plugged in to the 6 pin header. The cards are in the 1st red slot and the 3rd red slot both being 16x lanes. I have the sound card in the bottom red slot, but can move it to the 2b black slot if you think I should.

grassy
Level 12
I seemed to have solved the problem, I went into -control panel/ system/advanced system settings/advanced tab/performance settings/adjust for best performance or custom. At the start I was thinking that my two cards was an overkill and was causing the lag, but know I can rest assured that its not the case. Now I am lag free.:cool:

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Ok good stuff but can you check in GPUz if your second card in the third red slot is running x16 or x8....I think if you run the soundcard in the bottom red slot it will reduce lane 3 to x8......you can run it in 2B and still have x16 x16 on first and third red......

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Ok good stuff but can you check in GPUz if your second card in the third red slot is running x16 or x8....I think if you run the soundcard in the bottom red slot it will reduce lane 3 to x8......you can run it in 2B and still have x16 x16 on first and third red......
Hi Arne, I did a render test and it reads as follows: GTX690 3.0X16 @16 3.0 GTX690 3.0X16 @16 1.1 GTX690 3.0X16 @16 1.1 GTX690 3.0X16 @16 1.1

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmm...now I'm confused....are the chips just resting cos only one of them runs the render....what if you run unigine in a window or something like that?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hmm...now I'm confused....are the chips just resting cos only one of them runs the render....what if you run unigine in a window or something like that?
Yea I think they are down clocking to a degree while I am sitting idle, although when I run the Render test the only 3.0 I see is the top one and the other 3 are at 1.1, but they all read 16x so I am guessing that cards are not being pushed that hard. I have moved the sound card into the 2b slot and its still the same. The bus interface confuses me a little too, but I think it reads like that because the cards have a built in power saving feature . One of these functions reduces the PCI-E Express link speed and width to lower levels, so as to conserve power when the card is idle. I think you are quite right my friend they seem to be resting. I think someone told me that on this forum about a year ago, but yet again my memory is not very good.:rolleyes: