cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Which WiFi mPCIe card to use?ASUS official cards available?

jiMMyoNewAy
Level 7
Hi All,

I recommended a buddy of mine to buy the Maximus VI Gene. I didn't know that asus didn't include the Wifi/BT 4 card with it although the adapter is there.

Can anybody direct me to where to buy the official Asus Wifi/BT 4 module for this mPCIe Combo II card?

Any other options are also welcome.

I however could not establish that if one were to buy an Intel Wifi mPCIe card would it require some sort of antenna as most of them don't come with one.

Really scratching my head over this issue.

I would really appreciate any help on this.

I checked the ASUS estore and they don't have the new mPCIe Combo II cards even available as of yet let alone the Wifi/BT 4 card.

As far as I know the only one available is with the Maximus VI Extreme boards. But this is not fair for the folks who bought Gene VI.

I hope someone knows better than me.

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

fakedogwalker
Level 7
jiMMyoNewAy wrote:
Hi All,

I recommended a buddy of mine to buy the Maximus VI Gene. I didn't know that asus didn't include the Wifi/BT 4 card with it although the adapter is there.

Can anybody direct me to where to buy the official Asus Wifi/BT 4 module for this mPCIe Combo II card?

Any other options are also welcome.

I however could not establish that if one were to buy an Intel Wifi mPCIe card would it require some sort of antenna as most of them don't come with one.

Really scratching my head over this issue.

I would really appreciate any help on this.

I checked the ASUS estore and they don't have the new mPCIe Combo II cards even available as of yet let alone the Wifi/BT 4 card.

As far as I know the only one available is with the Maximus VI Extreme boards. But this is not fair for the folks who bought Gene VI.

I hope someone knows better than me.

Thanks

A Killer Wireless-N 1202 + Bluetooth Mini-PCIe Card will work flawlessly in the M6G. In the UK you can but it from SCAN computers. You will need two aerials and the little cables that connect the card to the aerials, but these are also available from SCAN / Amazon etc.
Best of luck.

Thanks,but do you have info about the official or asus wifi and bt cards?

No mate I don’t.
But I don’t think there is an official card in that sense, just an OEM card they happen to supply with the M6E. If you go to the older MAXIMUM threads in the forum you will find the WiFi card that came with the Z77 chipset debated at length in many of the treads. I recall that in at least one of the threads the WiFi card is named by an ASUS employee. The card you are after now will be the same or similar to the previous generation boards. I do know for a fact the WiFi card that came with my MAXIMUS V FORUMLA (Z77) worked in the M6G as I used it as a temporary fix until I put the killer card in. As I said that card worked fine, in fact it was one of the few the only thing that did work on the board (lol). Mine has so many bugs / problems that I gave up on it and dismantled the build and salvaged all the parts.
Best of luck.

jiMMyoNewAy
Level 7
Yea I know it doesn't have a official name per say, as you said correctly I was looking for the OEM card and antenna which is currently available with the M6E. I hope some Asus moderator or tech could comment on this. As I have MVE and the wifi card on it just basically rocks.

So I wanted to use that one for my friend. Also since the antenna s are so easy to install. I just don't know how to really find a good combination. I like the card you recommended but don't know which antenna to use.

If anyone can list me one or two option for the cards and antenna it will be much appreciated.

And thanks fakedogwalker (lol) for your assistance!!!

JimmyH
Level 10
The official video's on how to build an ROG Extreme PC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg0abELwa5k&feature=share&list=UUV9kpW5cv56Gg6p-l62o6MA

This has the antenna, you can see it when he introduces the kit.

Surely someone in ASUS can answer the question.

JimmyH wrote:
The official video's on how to build an ROG Extreme PC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg0abELwa5k&feature=share&list=UUV9kpW5cv56Gg6p-l62o6MA

This has the antenna, you can see it when he introduces the kit.

Surely someone in ASUS can answer the question.

I think that's prolly the card and antenna that came with the kit of the MB.

Yea I agree some one from asus tech should comment on this issue and on the availability of the stock oem card. Otherwise whats the point of putting in a slot when their own cards are not available.

Also my friend is in Aus and the killer cards are very expensive there><

JimmyH
Level 10
This is the word I got mate.

NGFF is just an interface, much like SATA and PCIe. Vendors will supply NGFF drives that you can use at some point:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6293/n...d-form-factors

jiMMy, where are you from? I am in Australia and have found a card which should fit. The Intel Centrino Ultimate N6300

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=200_328&products_id=22188

Not sure whether it comes with the Antenna Kit or not, but I am sure they can be purchased.

As they are Next Generation Form Factor (NGFF) they have only just been released by some vendors. I am yet to find the SSD yet.

Hope it helps.

JimmyH
Level 10
Update on the WiFi. The same card that is supplied with the old Maximus V Formula fits into the Maximus VI Extreme and Gene. The only change is the SSD and I am yet to find a supplier for the M2 (NGFF) 2242 SSD.

Does anyone know a supplier in the USA or UK that ships to the convict settlement?

JimmyH
Level 10
Ok, this is the answer so far with relation to the mPCIe combo on the VI Gene.

The M2 (NGFF) 2242 SSD can't be bought in Australia as yet, however, they are only brand new technology and I don't even think ADATA has them up for sale yet, and they were the ones displaying them at Computex.

With regards to the WiFi side of the house, well they are exactly the same boards that came with the Maximus V Formula etc.

You can buy a board from Intel the Centrino Ultimate 6300 which will fit, then you have to buy 2 Mini PCI U.FL to RP-SMA Antenna WiFi Pigtail Cable which are 80 mm in length, I got mine from Ebay, a place in China will sell them to your specs. Then it's a matter of buying your antenna's. Just make sure they are right for 2.4 GHz and 5 Ghz and the cards are dual band.