cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect corsair h110 to the motherboard

H3r3tiC
Level 7
Hi,

I now have a corsair h110 all in one watercooling system in my system and was wondering how to connect it to my maximus VI hero mobo.
i currently have the 3 pin pump plugged in to the cpu header and the 2 4 pin pwm fans with an Y splitter cble into the cpu_opt header.

I ran the fan expert program and it turned down the fans to 750 rpm.

however when i stress test the fans will not react to the change in cpu temperature.

is there any way to fix this?

i read about just putting the fans on the cpu header and the pump on either a chassis header set to full speed or a molex to 3 pin connector. but i would really prefer to keep the pump on the cpu header so when it defective the system knows something is wrong.

thanks for your time
15 REPLIES 15

rismROG
Level 8
When you say you turned down the fans.... how did you do that on the CPU_OPT using FanExpert???

It's not configurable and your H110 pump on the CPU fan header will not be adjustable.... via FAN Expert

Assuming it's similar to H100i that I have, Ive got the Pump on CPU_OPT and I'm running its fans with Corsair Link in order to get individual control control over them.

Without Corsair Link you probably want to go into BIOS and set the CPU_OPT to a some kind of preferred profile as by default I think they are just set to 50% rpm regardless of operating stress.

H3r3tiC
Level 7
well when pressing the fan tuning button in fan expert you can hear it it spinning the fans on max speed and the slowly lowering the speed.
the h110 fans are the only ones connected to the mobo so i'm sure its them i hear.
not sure if I can use any of the other fan headers to use with cpu temps.

currently my temps are 28-31 at 9% load (basically idling)
i tried running a demo of aida64 and temps reached a max of 78 degrees C with the current fanspeed of 760 according to realtemp. the average was lower tho.

wonder if ASUS could not adjust their software with all the AIO cooling kits out there. since its clearly able to control it during the fam check fase.

Chino
Level 15
Since the pump speed is not adjustable, there's no point in plugging it into the CPU_FAN header. Plug the the power cable for the pump directly into the CPU_OPT fan header and it will always run at 100%.

Now I'd plug both fans into the CPU_FAN header. The reason is simple. That way you can control both fans with one header. Looking at Corsair's H110 page, I'm guessing a Y cable wasn't included to connect both fans to a header. Looks like you'll have to buy it on your own. Here's the important part and I need you to read it carefully.

The maximum output for the CPU_FAN header is 1A. That means that the power draw from both your fans cannot exceed this power limit. Corsair doesn't specify the power draw for the H110's fan on their page, so I'll need you to investigate that subject.

As for controlling the fans, I like to do that via the BIOS. I'm not very fond of the AI Suite software.

H3r3tiC
Level 7
i swapped the pump and radiator fans around. the pump is not on the cpu opt and the fans on the cpu with an Y cable i had already bought

the reason i wanted the pump on the cpu is that when it fails i would get a warning.

i have posted on the corsair forums about the fans power draw. i did see that for axampe the nocuta 140mm pwm fans took . only took 0,13 A

i will report as i find out more

Quick testing it seemed that with the pins swapped they still stay at the same speed when the cpu is under stress.
Also it is strange that the cpu temp given by ai suite is 47 when realtemps shows 72 for the package.
I am not sure which to believe. The next option is to put the pump in one of the cha_fan headers and make sure it stays full speed

Chino
Level 15
As far as I know, the CPU_OPT header is linked to the CPU_FAN header. So as long as you haven't disabled the Fan Monitor or CPU Fan Speed Low Limit, both will give out the same warning if something was to fail. I prefer to use the BIOS to setup my fans. My fans run at a certain speed at a certain temperature and they ramp up if it reaches a certain temperature.

Having two temperature programs running at the same time usually causes polling errors. And AI Suite is famous for misreadings. One of the reason why I do not recommend using that software for anything. Personally I like HWMonitor.

H3r3tiC
Level 7
thanks for your replies. it seemed either way i connected the fan and pump to the cpu headers it would prevent the fans from becoming controllable in the fan the software. for now i put the pump on the chasis header.
maybe with Q control it will work i have to try some other day.
with the current fan profile the fans keep spinning around 800 rpm under aida64 stress test.

what temperatures would you recommend as threshold?

cheers

Chino
Level 15
Well, it's a personal matter. Choose the temperature and fan speed that you're most comfortable with. For example, I have my fans running at 50% speed all the time. It's not too loud and I can live with it. They keep my chip around 55C even during heavy gaming. So I set my CPU Upper Temperature to 65C and the corresponding fan speed to 100%. You have to play around with the settings to see which works best for you.

H3r3tiC
Level 7
ok i will experiment with it,
cheers

What did you end up doing? I just ordered the h100i for my 4670k and z87-deluxe board.

I really like the 4 way optimization, makes it easy to overclock for beginners like me who dont want to spend too much time manually testing settings.

I am also planning on replacing the RAD fans with the noctua nf-12, would those work if i used 2 of them off of the 1 cpu header? i was planning to put the pump on the cpu_opt.

Or should i just connect it with the corsair link?

thank for the help,

Carlos
IX Formula and Z390i