cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"No display detected" M6H / 7870 / PCIEX16_1

zahrdahl
Level 7
Hello,

Today I upgraded my PC with a new M6H and a i5-4670k (going from cheap old GA mobo and an i5-760), and immediately ran into some issues. My display would simply not work when I tried booting, it would just stay black. After trying a few things I moved the GPU (an XFX 7870) to the PCIEx16_2 slot, and everything worked fine. Now, that one runs at x8 so I figured I'd try some more things to the get the _1 slot working now that I had a working monitor, and then just swap around to check if it worked.

Changing Auto/iGP/PCIe from Auto to PCIe as well as setting up the _1 slot for Gen2 made it work. Happily I hoped that meant the issue was fixed by manually making sure it picked the PCIe card instead of the iGP, but when I set it back to Gen3/Auto my screen turns black again. I can see on the Q-led that it gets into windows etc, but the monitor will just stay dead.

Any ideas what could be wrong here? For now I'm using the _2 slot as x8 PCIe 3 should be about the same as x16 PCIe 2 from what I've heard, but if possible I wouldn't mind having it work properly with gen3 x16 even if performance gain is minimal.

TL;DR:
PCIEx16_2 (that runs at x8) works as Gen3
PCIEx16_1 (that runs at x16) works as Gen2, screen stays black as Gen3
14 REPLIES 14

zahrdahl
Level 7
As an additional question, is it normal that my idle temp when just booting up windows after having had computer shut down for a few hours is at ~36-40C? It seems a bit high to me, even though I've heard the stories about Haswell running hot. I still thought it should run cooler than my old Lynnfield i5.

I'm running at stock values, with a Hyper 212 Evo cooler. Arctic Silver 5 has obviously just been applied so I suppose temps will go down ever so slightly with time due to ~200h burn-in period.

I've got 2 intake (side and front) and 2 outtake (top and rear) chassi fans, decent amount of space behind the computer for hot air to travel. Cablage inside the case (which is a Fractal Design Define R3) is decently out of the way. Ambient temp is rather hot as Swedish summer is quite extreme currently. I actually don't have a thermometer but I'd wager it's at about 24-26C (translated to 75-80F I assume)

Incase it helps for either of my 2 questions, my build in full:

Chassi: Fractal Design Define R3
Motherboard: Maximus VI Hero
CPU: i5-4670k @stock
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo
RAM: 8gb DDR3 (Corsair Vengeance) @1333mhz (I've noticed 3DMark / Cpu-z says they run @667mhz though? which seems...odd)
GPU: XFX Radeon 7870 Ghost, 2gb vram
PSU: Corsair TX 650
SSD: Samsung 840 256gb
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm and Western Digital 1TB 5400rpm ("Green")

The case isn't entirely dustfree, but almost so as I cleaned it out somewhat when I upgraded yesterday. I didn't have canned air available however, but it's definitely not "dusty".

Any help appreciated as I feel I've exchausted all options I could think of personally for either question!

Grnfinger
Level 8
my 4770K runs about 33c at 4500MHz and my ambient air is 72F
4770K@4500mhZ
Asus Maximus VI Hero
2x Sapphire Tahiti core 7870 Crossfire @ 1150/1500
8GB Patriot Viper @ 1866MHz
Intel 520 SSD - 2x1TB Raid0 - 2TB WD Green
Corsair AX860i
Cosmos S Custom
H20 Cooling

zahrdahl
Level 7
Thanks, added some info about ambient air (I think my apartment is slightly hotter than yours, but not by too much). That yours run cooler at 4.5ghz than mine at stock is rather annoying. Sure, you have better cooling than my budget one, but the difference shouldn't be that huge I'd imagine.

Just tried running Prime95 Small FFT test via Real Temp, and it pretty much instantly brought temps up to 81C (~15% into Heat-up phase). 😕

HiVizMan
Level 40
Something is not quite correct.

Please reseat your CPU and make sure you apply a small amount of TM to the CPU. About a grain of rice sized amount.

Now once you have done that Clear CMOS please and use the Discrete VGA as your primary source of video.

PCI1 lane should work with that card 10/10 times.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

zahrdahl
Level 7
I did try reseating the CPU cooler after I made these posts and used the method you mentioned for applying the thermal paste and made sure the cooler was perfectly seated, which sadly isn't all too easy with Hyper 212 Evo..

But I did not reseat the actual CPU, could that actually be an issue? Not doubting what you say, just curious as that's not something that came to mind for me in the slightest! I'll give what you said a try tonight once I'm home and report back.

Oh and a question about clearing CMOS... Is using the "Optimized defaults" in BIOS enough for this or will I need to remove/reseat the battery? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

HiVizMan
Level 40
My friend there are no stupid questions at all only questions.

By reseating the CPU you ensure that you have a perfect mount. The pins are spring tensile and latched down. Releasing that tension allows a misaligned pin to correct itself.

A F5 in bios is indeed a defaults but not a restore to factory settings. Clear CMOS please, you can leave the battery in.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Tried what you said now and sadly the issue persists. Pciex16_1 only works when set to gen2, keeping it at auto/gen3 gives me a black screen / no display detected.

I expected the clear CMOS (clear rtc, that's what I found in the manual anyway and assume its the same?) to reset my bios to the version I had pre-firmware upgrade but it seems it just did the same as optimized defaults inside the UEFI? Mentioning this incase I've done something wrong.

I suppose it could be an issue with the GPU itself too. My old mobo only had PCIe 2.0, so it's not something I would've noticed then. And 2.0 at x16 works still, just as 3.0 at x8. The reason I'm considering this option now is that I tried a very, very minor GPU overclock for the first time, following guidelines posted on guru3d. No voltage increase, just slight clock/memory OC and I'd get redscreen doing the Fire Strike test in 3dmark 11.. When memory was at 1450 I'd even get it with the weird artifacts. At the stock 1000/1200 I don't get those issues.

Anyway, thank you very much for the assistance!

HiVizMan
Level 40
Thank you and no you did it all correctly.

You might think that the clear Cmos does the same thing but it actually is doing a whole lot more behind the scenes.

Your system is working correctly once you have it set to Gen 2. The card is Gen 3 and certainly your system is Gen 3 ready I can only assume the issue is with the graphics card.

Out of interest which bios version are you running on your motherboard?

zahrdahl
Level 7
Okay, glad I it all correctly at least. Frustrating issue even though it shouldn't matter too much in the end performance wise if the card is at x8 or x16 unless I'm mistaken? Would it be better to use the first pcie slot after all and run at it gen2 x16? I think I read somewhere gen2 x16 is "the same" as gen3 x8 which is what it's running at now since I use the second slot.

The BIOS is running the 0711 version, I flashed it to that version since I saw it included "compatibility fixes" that I hoped could fix my issue.