Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Member Array

Figured I'd post a quick update on the second issue as well, the temps.

While they've been far from dangerous values I suppose (even though I didn't like how fast Prime95 was raising temps and thus cut it off early), I've been playing games without going over 62 max, normally hovering at ~55ish with temps of 40-44 when just doing things in windows like watching twitch/youtube. The latter is more worrisome to me, because that seems to be to very high just from doing stuff like that. However, I borrowed a thermometer and checked my ambient temps and it seems my room is at ~28C which is quite a bit higher than my approximation in the earlier post. Do the temps sound somewhat normal considering the ambient temp?

And a "tl, dr":
    Ambient temp: ~28C
    Idle temp: ~35-40C
    Watching youtube/twitch: ~40-44C
    Playing games: ~55-62C
    Sound normal considering the ambient temp?

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Normal range is ambient temperature plus 12'C so you are right bang in the correct range for idle.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Member Array

Had some progress on the issue from the first post just now, which was surprising as I had given up on it. I think I might still give up on it until further BIOS updates - but figured I'd share incase this was more of a breakthrough than I thought, heh.

I was re-seating my cpu-cooler today, and as I was removing the TIM I decided to do so away from the motherboard so I could see better that it could completely clean. When I remounted the CPU and booted up, the post-screen told me a new CPU was detected and that I should hit F1. As this didn't happened when I remounted the last time to see if that would fix my PCIEX16_1 issues, I figured there was a chance it would work now and thus tried it out. And yes indeed, it worked!

I was very happy for a short while, went into the BIOS and saw that it was running at x2 speed. Wth? Must be some mistake. Boot into Win8, open GPU-z and start the render test so that the GPU is not in powersaving mode, and I'm sad to say it's just working as gen3 x2 now. I tried setting gen2 again, as in the past I could get gen2 x16 working on that slot - but setting auto/gen3 would just leave screen blank. Now it was gen2 x2.

So one step forward and one step backwards it seems - as PCIE 3.0 is now working on that slot, but now it's just working at x2. I'm back to using PCIEX16_2 x8 as luckily that still worked as before at the very least.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Which bios version are you on now?
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Member Array

I'm using 0711. Was considering trying out 0029 but from what I could tell its just changes to do with ram-settings etc

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2