cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cooling question

Zacharyp1
Level 7
Just wondering if the cooling fans pull air through the bottom or through the keyboard. Haven't been able to find anything searching. Also, is there any way to manually adjust fan speed?
11 REPLIES 11

EpIcSnIpErZ23
Level 8
Im pretty sure they pull air from the keyboard area. Try using HWinfo to control the fan speed.
Desktop: [CPU: i5-4670k] [GPU: R9 290x] [RAM: 8GB] [HDD: 3x 1tb Raid 0] [MOBO: MSI Z87 M-Power]

Asus G750JW-DB71
CPU: Intel Core i7-4700HQ
GPU: Nvidia GTX 765m [GPU CLOCK: 997MHZ] [MEMORY CLOCK: 6 GHZ]
RAM: 12GB
HDD: 1x 1TB HDD
SSD: 1x 64GB SSD
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198055414700/
Origin ID: DriftingSloth

Pitcher1
Level 9
i think asus laptop can not control fan speed.

The fan speed is set via thermometers in the BIOS, so it goes up and down as necessary. You shouldn't need to play with it, as it already balances cooling with performance. It pulls the air in through the speaker grille above the keyboard, and so you don't need a cooling pad to run the laptop at maximum.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Zygomorphic wrote:
The fan speed is set via thermometers in the BIOS, so it goes up and down as necessary. You shouldn't need to play with it, as it already balances cooling with performance. It pulls the air in through the speaker grille above the keyboard, and so you don't need a cooling pad to run the laptop at maximum.

I don't see any speaker gills above keyboard on my G750 🙂

Get a flashlight and look underneath your screen where the hinges of the monitor are. There are speaker grills attacked at the back of the main body there and at the bottom of the monitor itself. They are very well hidden

kingfish
Level 7
so no need to buy one of these cooling pad for laptops??? 🙂
G751JT | 24GB | 2 x 1TB HDD | Nvidia GTX 970M | Windows XP

Nope... Actually as far as I can tell this may be the first laptop I have ever had that I am willing to lay on my bed (for short periods of time) without fear of causing it to overheat due to the intake placement. Juts remember to keep the rear heat outports free and open. I even ran a few experiments on m JW to find the best way of cooling the laptop during benchmarks and I found nothing helped keep it cooler by way of elevating it or putting fans under it. I even set it on a stack of towels and ran a 30 minute benchmark to see if it would heat up due to lack or airflow on the bottom and there was no change. That was when I started to do research on where the air intakes where. However, if your cat comes up and layes on your keyboard you might be in trouble.

Flea0
Level 10
yep. the g750 doesn't take air in from the bottom, so it can do heavy gaming while sitting on the table without any clunky cooling pads. That's why the JH has taller feet, it gives the laptop just the clearance it needs. without making a habit out of it, you can even put it on the bed to watch a movie if the exhausts aren't obstructed.
ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display

Flea0
Level 10
yeah, leaving it on with the screen closed is probably not a good idea from that point of view.
ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display