cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WLAN (Broadcom 802.11ac) won't connect

Sereiya
Level 7
Having trouble with my new G750, it refuses to connect to anything via WLAN.
With the preinstalled standard drivers he is able to catch the SSIDs and establishing a "connection" to my Fritz!Box router. All the settings like IP, gateway etc. seems fine, but Windows reports a limited connection. I cannot use the connection, it's not even functioning to ping my router or anything else.
Then I tried the newest driver from asus.com. Even worse, I was completely unable to connect (He fails before asking for the password).
The older driver from asus.com made it simple. It just didn't found wireless networks anymore. In a last-ditch attempt I tried a win7 x64 driver, but as expected it didn't worked.

I tried to connect to my router and my android phone hosting a hotspot. Both worked with another device, but not with my G750.

I fear that I got just 'the' device with a broken wireless adapter. 😞

Can anyone help me?

Greetings from germany,
Serry

Edit:
I just found an old thread here suggesting to deactivate the WLAN-n support. It's working with WLAN-g. But I don't buy a such expensive notebook to use an antiquated standard...some suggestions aside from "waiting for newer drivers"?
28 REPLIES 28

Pitcher1
Level 9
could you try set difference channel and access again, if still fail, i think you will sent to service or retailer to refound or repair.

I also was initially disappointed with my G75vw's Wi-Fi performance. Wherever I went communications were unreliable at best. Yesterday out of desperation I dove into the driver settings and noticed this little thing:

BSS Mode set to 802 11a/b/g Performance

Looking at the available options I found and tried

802.11a/b/g/n Auto

The results were highly gratifying. My home system suddenly went from an unreliable trial to sustained download at 24 Mbps. My work connection, which is shared and throttled, is a sustained 2.5 Mbps download.

Lesson from this: Just because you've got the latest fire breathing Wi-Fi card that might not mean that it will work all that well when attempting to utilizing the existing system. Make sure your card's drivers understand and are set to be compatible with the existing infrastructure.

RHaggard wrote:
I also was initially disappointed with my G75vw's Wi-Fi performance. Wherever I went communications were unreliable at best. Yesterday out of desperation I dove into the driver settings and noticed this little thing:

802.11a/b/g/n Auto

The results were highly gratifying. My home system suddenly went from an unreliable trial to sustained download at 24 Mbps. My work connection, which is shared and throttled, is a sustained 2.5 Mbps download.

Lesson from this: Just because you've got the latest fire breathing Wi-Fi card that might not mean that it will work all that well when attempting to utilizing the existing system. Make sure your card's drivers understand and are set to be compatible with the existing infrastructure.

Nice find for your Wireless adapter, which one is it? Make/Model?

The G750JX-RB71 I have has a Broadcom 802.11ac BCM4352. It doesn't have any BSS settings that set 802.11 network types, but it does have IBSS settings, so I changed it for a time when I need an ad hoc network , Thanks 🙂

The Band Preference option only lets you choose between 802.11a and 802.11b/g, 802.11n settings are separate.

Glad it did some good for you. It worked for a little while for me but things have deteriorated a bit. Same basic problem. When that happens I play around with the settings and it seems to help for a little while but I'm hampered by the fact that I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm a programmer not a Wi-Fi guy. It seems like you have a good understanding on things Wi-Fi.

RHaggard wrote:
Glad it did some good for you. It worked for a little while for me but things have deteriorated a bit. Same basic problem. When that happens I play around with the settings and it seems to help for a little while but I'm hampered by the fact that I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm a programmer not a Wi-Fi guy. It seems like you have a good understanding on things Wi-Fi.

If WiFi is normally working ok, and then not, there must be a reason - either flaky router/wireless card or another influence like a noisy router too close to your routers center channel.

Did you look at the Wifi landscape of your location with a program like inSSIDer for Windows, or WiFi Analyzer for Andriod?

While things are working ok, see how close other Routers/AP's are from your router/AP, and when things go wonky see if another Router or AP fired up closer to you. Try to pick a frequency/channel center that is away from the other transmitters.

It could also be that your router is overheating and cutting out - I Have a Netgear WNDR3700 with a 2.4ghz radio that went flakey after 2 years of use - now only the 5Ghz side works.

Turning down the transmit power helps - only run as hot/power as needed to maintain connection reliably to extend the lifetime of the router.

RHaggard wrote:

802.11a/b/g/n Auto

I have Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac network adapter in my G750JW and notice that I have 9.93/0.86 Mb/s in my old notebook and in my handy and only 1.96/0.59 Mb/s in my G750JW:(
Thanks to your post I've also decided to change settings in my network adapter. Your settings unfortunately didn't help me. In Internet I've found no solutions. Comparing the configuration of the network card I've found that it was necessary to change only one parameter:

WMM set to Disabled

and I have again my speed:cool:

Setting Advanced Properties: Broadcom Wireless LAN Adapter User Guide

Fuchs wrote:
I have Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac network adapter in my G750JW and notice that I have 9.93/0.86 Mb/s in my old notebook and in my handy and only 1.96/0.59 Mb/s in my G750JW:(
Thanks to your post I've also decided to change settings in my network adapter. Your settings unfortunately didn't help me. In Internet I've found no solutions. Comparing the configuration of the network card I've found that it was necessary to change only one parameter:

WMM set to Disabled

and I have again my speed:cool:

Setting Advanced Properties: Broadcom Wireless LAN Adapter User Guide

Fuchs, there must have been something else you have done to fix the throughput problem 🙂

WMM only lets a client enter power save mode, it won't affect transfer speed when the client is awake. I "Enabled" WMM (it was on "Auto") on my Broadcom 802.11ac adapter (G750JX) and did a speed test, and I am getting the same transfer rates down/up

What make/model of router do you have? What are the wireless settings base/advanced? Have you changed any other Broadcom 802.11ac settings? What is the connection status as seen from the laptop (right click on Broadcom wireless adapter, Status). I am connected to a dlink dir-655 at 802.11n 300mbps.

Use a program like inSSIDer for Windows/Android (or Wifi Analyzer for Android) to see if someone close by has a signal that is interfering with your signal. You can move the center frequency of your router to avoid other routers/AP's
http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

Fuchs
Level 7
hmscott, I've made a little test...
I've changed only this option (WMM).

So... WMM is Auto and WMM is Disabled

I don't know why but this is a fact. Maybe my modem(FRITZ!Box 7330 SL) process not correct field QoS or something else but another my notebook with "Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG" network adapter with option "Ad Hoc QoS Mode" and value "WMM Enabled" has the same speed.:eek:
So I think that my network adapter has a real defect. Actually I was lucky that I found dependence this option with speed on my network adapter, otherwise I'd have gone to change this laptop. Perhaps it is necessary to do. 😞

Some details for u about my system (Windows 8, Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter, Driver Version 6.30.233.99):

and my network

P.S. I cann't change frequency in my modem - only 2.4 GHz, I treid to change channel but it didn't help me)

Fuchs wrote:
hmscott, I've made a little test...
I've changed only this option (WMM).

So... WMM is Auto and WMM is Disabled

I don't know why but this is a fact. Maybe my modem(FRITZ!Box 7330 SL) process not correct field QoS or something else but another my notebook with "Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG" network adapter with option "Ad Hoc QoS Mode" and value "WMM Enabled" has the same speed.:eek:
So I think that my network adapter has a real defect. Actually I was lucky that I found dependence this option with speed on my network adapter, otherwise I'd have gone to change this laptop. Perhaps it is necessary to do. 😞

Some details for u about my system (Windows 8, Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter, Driver Version 6.30.233.99):

and my network

P.S. I cann't change frequency in my modem - only 2.4 GHz, I treid to change channel but it didn't help me)

In reverse order.

Step 6 here shows how to enable manual setting of the center channel:
http://service.avm.de/support/en/skb/FRITZ-Box-7390-int/529:Wireless-connection-to-FRITZ-Box-drops-f...

Fritzbox 7330 SL is you, and you are co-habitating on channels 5 and 1 with Fritzbox 7312... not really any better choices, what with the guys on 11, and 9. The best you could do would be to find the location where Fritzbox 7330SL would be the furthest from the physical location of Fritzbox 7312 to reduce interference.

fuchs, you disabled WMM on both the router and in the Broadcom 802.11ac Properties=>Configure=>Advanced, or just one or the other?

I had only Enabled/Auto'd the setting on the Broadcom settings. I didn't touch the WMM setting on my router.

Just now I disabled WMM on the Broadcom settings, and I couldn't connect to my router that has WMM enabled. And, (while on ethernet) I set the router WMM unchecked/off, and I also couldn't connect.

Wow, there is something odd with the interaction between my dlink and WMM setting with the Broadcom 802.11ac card...my router must have WMM enabled for the Broadcom adapater to connect - and the WMM setting on the Broadcom card needs to be either Enabled or Auto.

Is your Fritzbox WMM enabled? You might try the combinations of enabled/disabled like I did to see what happens.

Also, I have a newer version of the driver for Windows 8.1 running, which might make my experience different than yours.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?38627-When-will-the-Windows-8.1-Drivers-become-available&p=...