cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading a CPU fan, never done before.

Dandynamite
Level 7
Hi,

Whilst I have some mild experience in building computers, I haven't touched anything but a stock CPU fan in the past.
My current PC is running an AMD FX-8350 Eight Core Processor, on the ROG Crosshair v-z Motherboard, and is currently using the stock AMD clip attach fan.

I intend to eventually move on to overclocking my system at some point, and have been told its a good idea to upgrade the fan.However I haven't done it before, so found several well-reviewed fan that fit my processor allegedly, I believe is AM3 type.

The fans I had a look at where

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Cooling-Freezer-Xtreme-Cooler/dp/B001X017G2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=13...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Akasa-AK-CC4008HP01-Voodoo-Extreme-Performance/dp/product-description/B005O6...

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-001-TL

Wondering if these any good, or if anybody knew of any that where really good, and when it comes to thermal paste does it need to be completely removed and re-applied, and is there an easy way to do this as again, I haven't touched CPUs in the past.

Many thanks
18 REPLIES 18

Chino
Level 15
What is your budget for your new heatsink and what case are you using?

Yes, you'll need to completely remove the thermal paste before applying a new one to it. Personally I use isoprophyl alcohol to remove the old paste. Others prefer those fancy cleaners like the one from Arctic Silver.

Dandynamite
Level 7
Budget is fairly irrelevant (I'm a Gap year student with a full time job), but I'd like the fan to be preferably under £100, but if it needs to be more
then its not something I can skimp on I guess.

Case is the Bitfenix Collusus in white.

Corsair Builder Series 750W PSU but if the fan needs loads more I can upgrade it I guess?

Peretti
Level 7
im using the same cpu/mobo combo as you

currently have my chip at 4.7 stable using a h100i, h100i is great so far but im looking to build a custom loop so i can push it further

depending on your needs/wants and how hard you want to oc i would look at an h100i or Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler

my advice is dont bother with air..8350 are heat beasts..

props to you for gettign the stock cooler on..i was about to /wrists when i needed to test my mobo and all i had was that could not for the life of me get it clipped on..h100i first try.lmao

Chino
Level 15
Well, I don't know how you feel about watercooling but the Corsair H100i is the best closed loop system money can buy at the moment. Setup is easy. No maintenance necessary. Just screw the radiator and fans into your case and install the CPU block. You can get it for £91.32 at Scan.co.uk.

With the H100i, you could surely get your FX8350 to 4.7GHz easily. 😉

Dandynamite
Level 7
My only worry with water-cooling or liquids at all is that I will spill them and ruin my computer completely 😞

Dandynamite wrote:
My only worry with water-cooling or liquids at all is that I will spill them and ruin my computer completely 😞

the h100i is very sturdy,very well built, but as stated there is always a chance for leaks,

h100i is great i would highly recommend it over air, the software is quality to..*hint hint asus*

Chino
Level 15
The only air cooler capable of competing with the close loop systems is the Noctua NH-D14. But it's a very big heatsink so you'll have to see if your have enough clearance for your RAM.

Dandynamite
Level 7
Where would the Radiator Bit go on my case?
I cannot see where I would physically fit!?
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-001-BX This is my case.
Sounds a great idea if it would work.
Is it just more efficient, but noiser to watercool? Or both?

Chino
Level 15
Watercooling usually generates less noise and is more efficient in cooling off the CPU. Altough it yields great benefits, there is always a risk of leakage. So if you're not comfortable with that, air cooling is the way to go.

The radiator would go on the top where the 2 120mm mounts are. Found this on the Bitfenix forums.