cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 way optimization BSOD

maths_cat
Level 7
I recently just built my first computer and after letting the cpu run in for a little while I decided it was time to overclock. To get a feel of what my chip will do I set off the 4 way optimization, i set it off running and then on the restart it BSOD and into endless loop of restarting. The only way to get it to post is to reset the cmos and the boot with stock settings.

I then tried a manual overclock to try and see if it was the 4 way optimization that was the problem, still not luck. I tried 4.6 4.5 4.4 4.2 and 4. With voltages all in the 1.2 plus/minus 0.5 range.

Is this a common problem? or am I doing something drastically wrong?

4670k + Maximus Gene Vi (BIOS 0711)
Phanteks PH-TC12DX CPU Cooler
Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C11 1600MHz
MSI 670 Power edition
OCZ agility 3 ssd
Windows 8 professional
EVGA supernova 650w power supply

Thanks in Advance
14 REPLIES 14

HiVizMan
Level 40
I assume your CPU is the 4670K and not the Ivy processor that the 3 denotes. 🙂

Please do this.

Clear CMOS

XMP profile as mode of OC in bios.

Multiplyer to 40 for all cores syncronised.

Vcore to 1.2625

F10 and enter.

Does your system boot to OS?

If yes reboot and set multi to 41, repeat until you are no longer able to boot into OS.

I would suggest that for 4.4GHz you going to need a bit more than 1.2 my friend. Most CPU's will need about 1.28 for 4.4GHz
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Raja
Level 13
Yeah, chances are you've got a below average CPU here, so the voltage ranges used by Auto Tuning are too low for it to POST. Just one of those things. If we increase the voltages, CPUs will start to run too hot too soon, plus the average smaples dont need voltages any higher. Haswell has a very wide variance in required voltages for overclocking, which makes things tricky.

maths_cat
Level 7
Thanks for the advice. I've got it to post and boot up at 42 and Vcore to 1.2625. If i am looking for a moderate overclock at the moment is the next step to progressively lower the voltage and check the stability?

I will try and go higher but I think I will need a better cpu cooler and air flow through my case before though.

HiVizMan
Level 40
1.2625 is a standard that I use simple to provide me with a comparative.

You can most certainly increase your voltage a bit with little problems. Just keep an eye on your temps that is all.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

maths_cat
Level 7
I ran prime 95 for about an hour at 4.2 and 1.2625v , temps got up to around 60-65 on it then I closed it down and it crashed.
So is it a case of just finding the right balance between the multiplier and the Vcore and checking its stable?
Im guessing I lost the chip lottery here if it isnt stable on 4.2GHz?

kkn
Level 14
try and up the voltage a notch and see how that goes.
0.0005 or .0010 on steps.
its a trial and error so.

HiVizMan
Level 40
The crash will have generated a event report in WIndows. Have a look at the event viewer, you might find that your system crashed due to some other cause.

TOO
Level 7
Mine the 4 way went to 4.2, tried more and just got unstable.
Have you got some better results?

confuest
Level 7
The 4 way optimization on ROG boards is so ridiculous. It tries to set every core to a specific value and guess the result= BSOD. It's not like this on Z87-Pro where ASUS did a great job. You possibly have a core on your CPU that can't even pass 4.2ghz under high core voltage . I really hope ASUS integrates the same 4way optimization Software on Z87-PRO into ROG's AI Suite. Otherwise you should buy a Z87-Pro to achieve your CPU's top performance.