cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G73JH will not power - AC Adapter light blinking green light

tmg1993
Level 7
Hello,

I am going to be as thorough as possible to eliminate any simple "fix attempts" that I have already seem 1,000 times via google.

The other week, I was on my G73, and all of the sudden, it shut off power. Trying to turn it back on like normal failed, so I was a little confused. My AC adapter light would shut off when I plugged it in. I figured that my AC adapter died, so I bought the exact same adapter from Amazon. I was excited when it came, but it turns out that even the new adapter failed to power my laptop.

The new AC adapter when plugged in to my laptop would instead blink a green light, but would have the normal standard green light when unplugged. After many google searches, everyone with this issue seemed to blame it on a faulty AC adapter. My issue is apparently NOT with the AC adapter. A brand new OEM adapter would not work.

I have attempted as many possible fixes as I could find, such as removing the battery before attempting to power, holding down my power button for 30 secs, reseating the memory...etc. Nothing has worked thus far. My DC jack pin is very stable and does not move when touched.

One google result I found stated that it could be a motherboard short. Just curious what it could be.

I would really appreciate some help!! Especially since I paid over $1,000 for this laptop. I hope I can get this problem fixed.

Thank you so much, Tanner.
10 REPLIES 10

Pitcher1
Level 9
when you remove battery and only plug ac adapter, is it able to powe on? if not, i think you will sent to service center to check boad.

Pitcher@asus wrote:
when you remove battery and only plug ac adapter, is it able to powe on? if not, i think you will sent to service center to check boad.

Nope. Nothing will power at all. It just sits there 😞

I've had my laptop for many years, so there is for sure no warranty still available on it. I have a buddy who could fix the issue for me most likely if I could only just figure out what it is.

Thanks.

fakunchas
Level 10
Normally, is the connection itself on the MB that with time becomes loose or simply fries!.Tell your friend to check the MB in that zone.
Make sure it is not RAM related. I had a casa where the freaking laptop (not an ASUS) simply would not power on because of a fried RAM stick.

Whatever happens, when you know the result, share with us!

fakunchas wrote:
Normally, is the connection itself on the MB that with time becomes loose or simply fries!.Tell your friend to check the MB in that zone.
Make sure it is not RAM related. I had a casa where the freaking laptop (not an ASUS) simply would not power on because of a fried RAM stick.

Whatever happens, when you know the result, share with us!

So are you stating that the DC jack connection could have been loose/fried? I opened up my laptop (what a pain in the ass that was, never seen so many screws in my life), and the DC jack is firmly sautered in place. So maybe the DC jack is fried?? I was thinking that as well, and I already have another DC jack on the way. If it isn't that...maybe RAM? But let's hope not.

Does anyone else have any thoughts or ideas what it could be?

Thanks again for all the replies guys.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
If your DC jack isn't loose and looks normal, I'm guessing it isn't the problem, but you might still want to try it if you don't have other options.

1. It's a bad sign for the motherboard if your AC adapter light blinks only when you plug it into the notebook since it also tells me something is shorting out on the motherboard.
I would try to first get your AC adapter light to stop blinking if possible by unplugging everything you can and making sure there isn't something else causing the problem.
Or, if you can easily remove the motherboard, plug in the AC adapter to confirm the light is still blinking with only the motherboard (put the motherboard on a non-conductive surface, of course).

If the AC adapter light stops blinking when you plug it to only the motherboard, you can try to slowly reassemble the notebook and hopefully catch the problem/problem part.

If the problem appears to be with the motherboard (my guess), it may not be easy to fix, but inspect the board for any damaged/burned (easily replaceable?) components, etc. that could be causing the problem.

Well, I'm not all that familiar with repairing motherboards since we usually just replace them over here, so you may want to get more opinions about it if necessary.

2. You may not be interested in going this route, but if you didn't already know, just wanted to remind you that you can contact U.S. ASUS support about sending in the notebook for out-of-warranty service if you prefer by checking this contact page.
If you decide to send it in, try to make sure parts are still available though and find out what happens if they aren't.

3. You may be aware of this already too and everybody is different, but personally I don't like putting too much money into an older out-of-warranty system and would prefer to save for a newer (faster) system with warranty if possible. If you didn't already know, there are ways to connect your hard drive to a different system to access data if this makes any difference.

Good luck!

cl-Albert wrote:
If your DC jack isn't loose and looks normal, I'm guessing it isn't the problem, but you might still want to try it if you don't have other options.

1. It's a bad sign for the motherboard if your AC adapter light blinks only when you plug it into the notebook since it also tells me something is shorting out on the motherboard.
I would try to first get your AC adapter light to stop blinking if possible by unplugging everything you can and making sure there isn't something else causing the problem.
Or, if you can easily remove the motherboard, plug in the AC adapter to confirm the light is still blinking with only the motherboard (put the motherboard on a non-conductive surface, of course).

If the AC adapter light stops blinking when you plug it to only the motherboard, you can try to slowly reassemble the notebook and hopefully catch the problem/problem part.

If the problem appears to be with the motherboard (my guess), it may not be easy to fix, but inspect the board for any damaged/burned (easily replaceable?) components, etc. that could be causing the problem.

Well, I'm not all that familiar with repairing motherboards since we usually just replace them over here, so you may want to get more opinions about it if necessary.

2. You may not be interested in going this route, but if you didn't already know, just wanted to remind you that you can contact U.S. ASUS support about sending in the notebook for out-of-warranty service if you prefer by checking this contact page.
If you decide to send it in, try to make sure parts are still available though and find out what happens if they aren't.

3. You may be aware of this already too and everybody is different, but personally I don't like putting too much money into an older out-of-warranty system and would prefer to save for a newer (faster) system with warranty if possible. If you didn't already know, there are ways to connect your hard drive to a different system to access data if this makes any difference.

Good luck!

Albert, thank you very much for your reply.

I hope to god it isn't the motherboard that is dead, that would be very bad, lol. But I was able to get just the motherboard with nothing on it plugged into the AC adapter. When unplugged, it was a solid green light on the adapter, but when plugged in, instead of blinking, the light just shut off, and would return when I unplugged it from the wall & the DC jack, and plugging it back into the wall. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing that it didn't blink this time. Doesn't look too good but you guys know more than I do about motherboards.

I appreciate the knowledge. If it ends up costing more than I've already spent, I might just have to bury it in my backyard and call it a day.

Thanks again 😄

All opinions and thoughts are still welcome!!

tmg1993
Level 7
Bump! More advice much appreciated =D

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Sorry for the delay (I don't work on weekends 🙂 ).

Again, since I don't normally repair notebooks or notebook motherboards, you may want to get other opinions, but doesn't sound normal or good to me that your AC adapter light turns completely off when you plug it into the motherboard.

Just wondering why the AC adapter light was blinking before and turning off now when plugged in (just make sure you put the motherboard on a non-conductive surface like a cardboard box and don't have anything else touching or shorting out the motherboard, etc.).
Doesn't sound very good either way though.

Also, be sure to unplug everything from the motherboard including any cables, vga board, cpu, memory, etc. before you plug in the AC adapter.

Well, you may want to try to get more suggestions about it, but you might be able to sell some 'possibly good' parts like the vga board and LCD module if you don't plan to resurrect this system.

Hello,
The exact same thing is happening to me and I would like to know what you have done to solve the problem since July ?
Thx