Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G750JX : Lag Game Performance when on Batteries

HeavenlyJunichi
Level 7
Dear ROG Brothers and Sisters,

I just bought the G750JX.
I noticed incredible significant game performance drop when the unit is running on batteries.
The game performance became good when I plug in the charging.

I use the FFXIV latest benchmark initially to try.
On Batteries: The score is extremely low (1000+).
On Charging: It scores 4800.

Then during running of the benchmark, I plug in and out the power cable.
Again, when plug in the cable, the score counting became much faster.

Here's what I've checked:
1. Use the ASUS update utility to check and update for latest version - Done.
2. Select "Battery Power Options" to Power4Gear High Performance - Done.
3. Video driver latest version - Done.
4. Running on Windows 8 64bit. Update to latest revision. - Done.

Appreciate the help if anyone could further diagnose this issue.

Thanks.
Chris.
22 REPLIES 22

Darknal
Level 7
This occurs on many laptops in general to preserve battery life because if your laptop were to go full load on the battery itself I can imagine only about 15min to 30 max battery life.

The_Thing
Level 8
Hiya all,

What I've noticed is that when I'm on battery the proc underclocks at 1,10 ghz but I managed to get it back to 2,40 ghz and from 4h on battery I have now 3h and 30 min..I think thats good knowing it runs better, Anyways, I found out that when you are on battery, the gfx card (gtx770m here) goes off and the system recognize only the intregrated gfx which is ****ty. I've managed to get NFSMW at 20 fps on high setts with this gfx, I think is pretty impressive for such a gfx. Well, I guess we need to play like this when we're moving :D.

The_Thing
Level 8
Hiya all,

What I've noticed is that when I'm on battery the proc underclocks at 1,10 ghz but I managed to get it back to 2,40 ghz and from 4h on battery I have now 3h and 30 min..I think thats good knowing it runs better, Anyways, I found out that when you are on battery, the gfx card (gtx770m here) goes off and the system recognize only the intregrated gfx which is ****ty. I've managed to get NFSMW at 20 fps on high setts with this gfx, I think is pretty impressive for such a gfx. Well, I guess we need to play like this when we're moving :D.

Intel Dude wrote:

The real problem is when you are on battery, the CPU speed dropx to 800 MHz.! Causing extreme lag in game play

ASUS needs to come up with a new BIOS ASAP to fix this

Why? ALL laptops throttle back when they're run on battery, it's called power saving measures. No need for a new BIOS when it's something that cannot be controlled....except for keeping the laptop plugged in when doing intensive tasks.

Intel Dude wrote:
you are EXTREMELY wrong! Don't go spreading misinformation to the members!
The G750 Laptops have NO integrated graphics chipset other than the GeForce GTX!

Wrong! The Intel Core i7-4700HQ has an Intel® HD Graphics 4600 on the CPU die. It seems it's just has been disabled by ASUS. This was probably done via software/bios so I guess Asus is able to activate that if they want.

Pitchblack wrote:
Wrong! The Intel Core i7-4700HQ has an Intel® HD Graphics 4600 on the CPU die. It seems it's just has been disabled by ASUS. This was probably done via software/bios so I guess Asus is able to activate that if they want.

It's just physically not connected to the screen. So it's as good as gone.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
No need to be rude mate, I never said you played games now did I?

Anvirol
Level 7
Yeah.. I tried to get some 3D-modeling done on battery, but it was extremely slow on 800MHz CPU. I was using High Performance profile on powergear. I'll try uninstalling it next time.
i7-7700k @ 5GHz | Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero | 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4133 MHz | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 OC 11 Gbps | ASUS MG279Q | Intel 256GB 600p NVMe | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

EpIcSnIpErZ23
Level 8
They should have a fix for the CPU on battery. I also think they could squeeze a bit on the GFX on battery too.
Desktop: [CPU: i5-4670k] [GPU: R9 290x] [RAM: 8GB] [HDD: 3x 1tb Raid 0] [MOBO: MSI Z87 M-Power]

Asus G750JW-DB71
CPU: Intel Core i7-4700HQ
GPU: Nvidia GTX 765m [GPU CLOCK: 997MHZ] [MEMORY CLOCK: 6 GHZ]
RAM: 12GB
HDD: 1x 1TB HDD
SSD: 1x 64GB SSD
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198055414700/
Origin ID: DriftingSloth