Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Ok so weird update. This morning I tried one last BIOS update from 0605 to 0711 and the first time round I 99'd it which according t manual is super IO, plus I got some led in my dongle.... which is always nice.

But after that it's back to 00?? Does it need to rest or something?

I also notice that ROG link button with the two chain links blinks 3 times when I update BIOS and it fails i.e. 00 but this morning when it worked, it flashed 5 times. I remember it being distinctly longer. I also note that if i dont put a USB stick in it also flashes 5 times.

So at this point Im thinking there might be a software error in the board.... i.e. a bug. I appreciate it's complete pie in the sky but it's like a flag is either not being properly set or reset.

Since Ive 99'd it and got BOOT_DEVICE LED which is right cos my hard drive wasn't plugged in, and checked pins it seems as good a theory as any. So to be clear Im still 00 but first time round after waking this morning I 99'd aftera BIOS reset. It ran through a sequence of numbers and rebooted by itself 2-3 times running sequence of numbers then 99 with green led in my dongle.

Then next boot 00. So hmmm.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Ok i had that.

Update via usb rog connect method.

i7 4790k@4.7ghz 1.28v||Asus Maximus VI Extreme||Zotac GTX Titan X Sli||Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz 4x8gb 10-12-12-31-1T[/color]||Corsair Neutron GTX 240gb x 2 + Crucial MX100 512gb x 2||Creative Soundblaster Zx||WD Black 2tb & 2x1tb||Ek Supremacy Nickel Acetal+EK M6e Nickel Acetal+EK Titan X Nickel Acetal + Ek Red Backplate+Ek Dual D5 Top & 150 X3 Res+HWLABS GTX Nemesis 560+280+6xNoctua Redux 1500rpm||Corsair AX1200+Corsair Red Sleeves||Silverstone Temjin 11

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by cstkl1 View Post
    Everybody been posting issues here with code trouble seems to have one thing in common

2x8gb 2400mhz.
    I have issues with 2x8gb 2400mhz too, but no codes. Just freezing right before the logon screen. I think my % are 50% of the time it boots ok. I almost want to sell the ram and get a different set if 2400mhz sticks are an issue with the hero mobo. I'm sure it can be fixed through BIOS. Well I'm hoping it can so someday I won't have to worry about it not freezing up.

Quote Originally Posted by vegasf1 View Post
    I have issues with 2x8gb 2400mhz too, but no codes. Just freezing right before the logon screen. I think my % are 50% of the time it boots ok. I almost want to sell the ram and get a different set if 2400mhz sticks are an issue with the hero mobo. I'm sure it can be fixed through BIOS. Well I'm hoping it can so someday I won't have to worry about it not freezing up.
    if your gona sell it, get in the 1866 to 2133 range, you will not notice enny diffrence at all in normal day using or gaming.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Quite often if you get to the handover point and you freeze then it is the CPU overclock that is a bit dodge. Besides your 2400MHz is your core overclocked too?
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Enthusiast Array

HiVizMan - Yes not manually but with the click click in AI Suite III it was up at 4.6GHz.... so 46 as a multiplier??

Ok so now IM A0 and crashing. Still not entirely sure what happened but after yesterdays weird event and all previous checks I became more and more certain the components were fine. Remember I DIDN'T have CPU_LED on.

So I came in last night night and the system spontaneously rebooted and ran number sequence now saying VGA_LED. I didn't have a monitor plugged in so I shutdown plugged in a monitor and reboot - 00.

Played around with that for another half hour no avail. Then looked at HighVizMans signature re: flashing BIOS and decided to recheck that I had done it right. I had the right files and format correctly but when I watched one of the video's it took about a minute to flash and mine was only taking seconds (3 blinks). So after going back through the manual and drivers site and finding nothing, I decided to rename the CAP file from what they are on the site

MAXIMUS-VI-EXTREME-ASUS-0711.CAP

to

ME6.CAP

I cleared CMOS and tried that and got a "proper" flash.. a good minute long. Then rebooted and 00. Repeated this a half dozen time - 00.

At that point I hooked up ROG Connect - just like i did the night before - and got 0000 - CPU_Initial. So bored with that I set the system aside still on with 00 IN Q-CODE LED.

Then about 20 minutes later it randomly rebooted 3 or 4 times. It was late so I went to bed and this morning i wake up and get all the way to AO and Windows.

I typed a message about renaming cap file and got half way through typing this message when it randomly shutdown, and then rebooted it self 3 times and then Im back in A0 again and back to windows again.

So now I dunno what to do? How can I test the individual parts to see which is the offending component? At least I can do that now so much progress made.. but I got the cooling and power from Corsair, the board from Amazon and the chip locally so I cant just take it all back to one place.

I note when it's come back online this morning the OC has dropped to 33% and now now just 3.9GHz (in AI Suite) so it's calibrated itself down.
    I still have patience to see this through as Im learning alot and am moving forward so any additional advice is welcome. thx

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	23716

Note: CPU fans are running off Corsair Link hence 0000 RPM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LINK.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	175.9 KB 
ID:	23718
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos Untitled-4.jpg  

Last edited by rismROG; 07-22-2013 at 01:57 AM.

Thanks for the update - I will check the link in my sig re the bios flash.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

best way to OC is inside bios, dont mess around whit AI suite when it comes to OC from there, personaly experience.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Thanks kkn - I think you may be right.

Im now fully stable, had a couple hours gaming, let movies play while I slept, ran some stress tests and all good again. So Im wrapped. Final analysis is that I don't know how to OC and Im not sure the AI Suite does either.

To get fully stable I have completely disabled CPU overclocking (CPU Core Ratio = Auto) and removed AI Suites 4 way optimizations.

Initially I thought that it was enough to dial down the OC to 36 on a 4770-K but it was still dodgy. Random reboots and failures on booting once it hit the OS after POST.

I watched a video by JJ - the ASUS North America YouTube guy where he manually OCs the Extreme with a 4770-K:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7zPu9255ZI

At 9:00min mark, he talks about and demos crashes occurring when the OS kicks in it's windows loading policy because it's not until then that the CPU works at the OC frequencies which is what was happening to me. So my take on it is that CPU uses auto frequencies that get it through POST, then OC frequencies only when it hits OS, and if these aren't set right, that's when it fails.

Once I completely turned off CPU OC, it then begin getting through OS and at that point I thought I was set.

So I played some movies and tried to game but after a couple of minutes I would get page fault errors, security errors about not being able to read memory addresses, driver errors, stuff about ntoskrnl.sys not found/missing and other errors regarding memory management.

So I went back into BIOS and looked for memory settings that I may have left on.

Sure enough I'd left in/on the DRAM frequencies set by AI Suite, which meant the DRAM was still pulling 1.65 volts. So turned that off, rebooted and haven't had a problem since.

So going forward for overclocking I will do it manually via BIOS and obviously need to learn more about the interplay between board, chip, DRAM and GPU surrounding these voltages plus know my own gearz.

My DRAM now runs at 1.5V, down from 1.65V and my CPU is down to 1.12V, previously when it was stable it was 1.312 V but I do remember that it got up and stayed up around 1.4V after I ran Intel Speed Burner.... even after rebooting.

Strangely although all the numbers on screen tell me system is now slower, it feels much faster, much more responsive whereas previously when OC'd felt more like my laptop.

So onwards and upwards and cheers for the help not just in this thread but the accumulated knowledge throughout the forums. Very pleased, learnt heaps and I haven't had to RMA anything.

Guess this is why it's called an "enthusiasts" board.
    Last edited by rismROG; 07-23-2013 at 02:27 AM.

Good to hear that you are sorted. Yes the numbers as you say do not tell the entire story and feel is way more important and accurate an indicator of a system in my view.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast