cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery question again

The_Thing
Level 8
When plugged in, should I remove the battery and run the laptop without it or should I let it in and stay like this?:D
6 REPLIES 6

Clintlgm
Level 14
This is how I run mine. the battery is like a UPS for me. I seldom run on battery alone on purpose. These lithium batteries and chargers are much better than the old ones. My last NB battery was still holding a charge after 4 years running this way.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

The_Thing
Level 8
Intel Dude, I must say I agree with you but if you take out the battery will this affect the laptop when power goes down? In this case if I have the battery I can use it as an ups and so the laptop is safe but if I don't have the battery in it what damage can occur? Can I burn something inside the laptop such as mobo or cpu/gpu? :D. This is my first time when I replace a PC with a gaming laptop so that's why I ask these questions...ofc I had a laptop before but that wasn't meant to be a gaming machine like this one...just simple word/pp usage.

LLothar
Level 7
Intel Dude wrote:
are you sure Mr. Clint?

I don't want this to happen that my battery would die after a few months.

One time I bought a SONY VAIO SZ series it was 3000 USD and people on the forums told me no need to disconnect the battery as it would not charge after its full but that was not true...within 3 months, my battery life went down from 6 hours to 30 mins!

From then on I always have the battery disconnected and I only connect it when I go out

That looks like a faulty battery on that Sony. Batteries are covered for 6 months with warranty, so you should have replaced it.

I have a HP 8510w and it was almost always connected to power, always with battery in. After 6 years I still have 60-70% of capacity left.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Intel Dude wrote:
are you sure Mr. Clint?

I don't want this to happen that my battery would die after a few months.

One time I bought a SONY VAIO SZ series it was 3000 USD and people on the forums told me no need to disconnect the battery as it would not charge after its full but that was not true...within 3 months, my battery life went down from 6 hours to 30 mins!

From then on I always have the battery disconnected and I only connect it when I go out

Although I didn't notice it mentioned in the G750 user manual, the battery should stop charging once it's fully charged at 100%, so if you check your battery status icon in the desktop after this time, you should see it say something like '100%, not charging' similar to the screenshot further below, so this may help them last longer.
Once the battery charge drops below 95%, it should start charging again.

If you're interested, check this thread which has information from the G75VW user manual regarding the battery and more discussion.

LLothar wrote:
That looks like a faulty battery on that Sony. Batteries are covered for 6 months with warranty, so you should have replaced it.

Not sure what the warranty is for Sony notebook batteries, but just wanted to mention ASUS notebooks normally have 1-year battery warranty in the U.S., so check with your local ASUS support to confirm the warranty if you see any battery problems.

Screenshot of battery at 99%, plugged in, not charging:

PPanda
Level 8
Yeah just happened to me too.

Battery shipped with ~900 cycles already on it = used battery.

I'm sitting plugged in after charging all night and it is hovering at 99% charged.

So dumb.

PPanda wrote:
Yeah just happened to me too.

Battery shipped with ~900 cycles already on it = used battery.

I'm sitting plugged in after charging all night and it is hovering at 99% charged.

So dumb.

It won't charge beyond that 99% marker, no matter how long or hard you stare at it. Run a game, or maybe watch a movie or two? you'll see that the battery should have been drained during either of these tasks and should be charging back up once again 🙂