cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74sx screen wont come back on after closing laptop

Gfv35
Level 7
Hey guys, i have a g74sx and recently i noticed that my screen wont come back on after closing the laptop. It generally works perfectly besides this minor inconvenience. No bsods runs well but its getting annoying having to hard reboot it after closing the screen. Im guessing theres some sort of sensor that knows the screen opening angle and possibly the sensor knows when the screen closes but isnt getting told its open. Does anybody know what would cause this problem? Is there a part i can buy and install to make it work like normal again?
4 REPLIES 4

Pitcher1
Level 9
you mean when you shut down then power on system , the monitor can not turn on? try hold power key to boot, if not help, please connect with other monitor and look it can be posting. if yes, press FN + F8 try to switch monitor, if not help, i think you will check your LCD.

When the computer is running and i close the screen the computer sleeps. when i re open the computer and press the power button the computer never comes out of sleep. Its like theres a sensor somewhere thats telling the computer that the screen is still shut and therefore the computer wont come out of sleep.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
My guess it that there is just a general (software) problem related to waking up from sleep.
If you want to check this, try going to sleep through the start/shutdown menu or Fn+F1 instead of using the lid switch to confirm you still have the problem to wake up from sleep.

1. I'm not great at fixing software issues, so you may want to ask around more, but if your wake from standby was working recently and you have a Windows System restore point you can use (make sure any important data is backed up first although 'normally' you would only lose any changes made after that restore point date), try setting your system back to this date when things were working.

2. Not sure if you want to disable your lid switch setting so that closing the screen no longer goes into standby mode, but it's possible if you're interested.

3. If you've installed any drivers or software recently, you might try to uninstall them to check/'guess' if they are causing problems to wake from standby.
It's a good idea to stick to the ASUS download site for the approved drivers for your notebook like vga, audio, wireless, etc. if you want to avoid problems.
Don't install any optional updates from Microsoft (no problem to use the critical or important updates for Windws) if they are for your notebook drivers like vga, audio, wireless, etc.

Good luck!

fakunchas
Level 10
i suspect nvidia issues.