cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My G750

Monsta
Level 7
After just over 3 weeks of waiting, my G750JW finally arrived on Friday, so I thought I'd share some of my first experiences and impressions of the unit after having played around with it for a few days.

The first thing that stood out is that it didn't have the specs I ordered. This could be due to Asus, but it's more likely to be a mistake from the local computer shop that I ordered it though, as there are no official asus retailers that I'm aware of in the country. What I thought I was getting was 12gb RAM, one 750GB HDD @7200rpm, and a dvd player. What I got was 16gb of RAM, two 750GB HDD's @5400rpm, and a blue ray player (at least it says it's a blue ray player on it, though I haven't actually tried any blue rays yet as they don't sell them here). I'm not complaining, I basically got more than I thought I was getting and without any extra charge, so it was a pleasant surprise.

I also really like the bag it came with, which seems to be good quality and a perfect fit. Sadly the nice looking mouse it came with is unusable for left handed people such as myself, but I guess it will make a nice gift for someone.

The computer came well packaged, and everything seemed to work fine straight out of the box with no headaches or issues (at least initially). I like the way it looks (despite having seen some reviews declaring it to be ugly), and the spacing and overall layout of everything feels nice and natural. The metal bit where the handrest goes is a bit pathetic, just because it's so thin that it flexes like cheap plastic, which makes it kind of a waste. If the metal were a milimeter or two thicker, I think the whole keyboard would have a much more solid feel to it.

I spent the weekend playing some fairly demanding games, and found overall performance to be great. Temps were low, fps was high, overall exactly what I was hoping for.

By Sunday, the screen flickering problem that others have reported here started to appear. I first noticed it on the background of the Steam games launch page (which has a gray gradient by default), and it now seems to be happening whenever the screen is displaying anything dark. I live in Cambodia so RMA isn't a realistic option, which means I'm very disappointed and left in a situation where I just paid over $1.5k for a brand new laptop with a broken screen. I'm not going to go off on a rude rant here, but I do hope that someone from asus is reading this and understands what I'm saying. It's not cool. I've wanted a good gaming laptop for ages, I saved up the money, waited for weeks in anticipation of it being delivered, and now I'm left with an issue that seems to be so common that it's hard to understand how Asus missed it in the first place.

It's the only problem with an otherwise perfect machine, but it is a big problem, and one that I'm quite upset about. It seems my only option is to save up even more money so I can order another screen, then another long wait for it to arrive, and then I'll have to open up my brand new laptop to fix it myself, which I'm utterly unqualified to do.

If someone could point me in the direction of a company that sells appropriate screens and delivers them internationally I'd appreciate it. I really like the screen it came with until the horizontal lines started appearing, so if I can just find a way to buy a working one of those it would be great. I could also really do with some sort of an explanation of how to do it. I just play games, I don't make laptops, that's why I thought I was going to just buy one that didn't need this stuff doing to it.
9 REPLIES 9

Symho
Level 7
Monsta wrote:
After just over 3 weeks of waiting, my G750JW finally arrived on Friday, so I thought I'd share some of my first experiences and impressions of the unit after having played around with it for a few days.

The first thing that stood out is that it didn't have the specs I ordered. This could be due to Asus, but it's more likely to be a mistake from the local computer shop that I ordered it though, as there are no official asus retailers that I'm aware of in the country. What I thought I was getting was 12gb RAM, one 750GB HDD @7200rpm, and a dvd player. What I got was 16gb of RAM, two 750GB HDD's @5400rpm, and a blue ray player (at least it says it's a blue ray player on it, though I haven't actually tried any blue rays yet as they don't sell them here). I'm not complaining, I basically got more than I thought I was getting and without any extra charge, so it was a pleasant surprise.

I also really like the bag it came with, which seems to be good quality and a perfect fit. Sadly the nice looking mouse it came with is unusable for left handed people such as myself, but I guess it will make a nice gift for someone.

The computer came well packaged, and everything seemed to work fine straight out of the box with no headaches or issues (at least initially). I like the way it looks (despite having seen some reviews declaring it to be ugly), and the spacing and overall layout of everything feels nice and natural. The metal bit where the handrest goes is a bit pathetic, just because it's so thin that it flexes like cheap plastic, which makes it kind of a waste. If the metal were a milimeter or two thicker, I think the whole keyboard would have a much more solid feel to it.

I spent the weekend playing some fairly demanding games, and found overall performance to be great. Temps were low, fps was high, overall exactly what I was hoping for.

By Sunday, the screen flickering problem that others have reported here started to appear. I first noticed it on the background of the Steam games launch page (which has a gray gradient by default), and it now seems to be happening whenever the screen is displaying anything dark. I live in Cambodia so RMA isn't a realistic option, which means I'm very disappointed and left in a situation where I just paid over $1.5k for a brand new laptop with a broken screen. I'm not going to go off on a rude rant here, but I do hope that someone from asus is reading this and understands what I'm saying. It's not cool. I've wanted a good gaming laptop for ages, I saved up the money, waited for weeks in anticipation of it being delivered, and now I'm left with an issue that seems to be so common that it's hard to understand how Asus missed it in the first place.

It's the only problem with an otherwise perfect machine, but it is a big problem, and one that I'm quite upset about. It seems my only option is to save up even more money so I can order another screen, then another long wait for it to arrive, and then I'll have to open up my brand new laptop to fix it myself, which I'm utterly unqualified to do.

If someone could point me in the direction of a company that sells appropriate screens and delivers them internationally I'd appreciate it. I really like the screen it came with until the horizontal lines started appearing, so if I can just find a way to buy a working one of those it would be great. I could also really do with some sort of an explanation of how to do it. I just play games, I don't make laptops, that's why I thought I was going to just buy one that didn't need this stuff doing to it.

ASUS must refund your PC, and soon. Call the assistance.
ASUS G750JZ - T4044H with GX1000 black

rewben
Level 13
hi @Monsta, sorry for the news 😕

firstly, you should contact the shop where you bought it from and tell them the issue. check with them if you're eligible for an exchange or refund.

unfortunately, the best next step if the above doesn't work for your is still to initiate RMA. maybe you can choose the nearest service center for this one (perhaps Vietnam or Thailand; Malaysia is too far for you)

however if RMA is not an option, you can try to diagnose if this is due to the defective gpu, or a bad screen (which i still think is unlikely). things that you can do are these:

1. if you have updated your gpu driver, maybe you should revert to the stock version;

2. if you haven't updated your gpu driver, you might wanna check to see if there are gpu driver updates from asus support page; get it and update your system, then reboot; see if this corrected the issue;

3. connect to an external monitor - if it displayed the desktop without problems, then it means your gpu is fine; the problem might be due to a loosened connection between the display panel and the motherboard (let's hope that it's not a bad cable or a bad screen, because the screen previously worked well).

then you should find someone locally who knows how to disassemble the laptop (you just need to take out the keyboard), and secure the cable connection between the display panel and the motherboard.

ok let's just stop here and pray for the best 😕

.. and, well, it's not entirely asus' fault. there are risks involved during the transport of things from seller to buyer. we are not really sure how electronics are handled during that journey 😕

Monsta
Level 7
Thanks for the replies.

As the problem with the screen matches the description of the problems that many, many other people on this forum seem to be having and at least one of them was able to solve it by replacing the screen, I'm hoping I'll be able to do it the same way. I'm just sad that I didn't see all the reports about the screen problem until after I'd already ordered it.

Drivers are all up to date and everything looks fine when I plug it into an external monitor.

I asked at the shop, but the woman there wasn't sure what to do either. It's just a small computer shop in Cambodia, they ordered it in for me as a favor as I couldn't find anywhere that sells gaming laptops here. I've never RMA'd anything before, and it seems like it will be a long and expensive process due to my location.

I do have friends here who should be knowledgable enough to help install the new display, but I have no idea how to make sure that I'm ordering one that will work. I read another thread here from someone who replaced the screen, then the next day the whole thing stopped working. I want to make sure that doesn't happen to me.

rewben
Level 13
that's frustrating 😕

why don't you get the information of the panel model and do a search online? you should be able to do that using hwinfo64. maybe with that you can look for compatible ones.

i'm not sure why 'the whole thing' could be reported as 'to stop working'. the replacement of display panel is supposed to be a simple task, and pretty straight forward, too (just have to be careful).

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Do me a quick favor please and check what the refresh rate is set at for your screen, some users have been changing their refresh rates and their problems have been disappearing.

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
Do me a quick favor please and check what the refresh rate is set at for your screen, some users have been changing their refresh rates and their problems have been disappearing.

It's set at 60, which seems to be the only option. I didn't even try to change it. All settings are exactly as they came out of the box, the only thing I've done was to update all the drivers, but I assumed it must be a hardware issue because of the guy in the other thread who said he was able to solve it by replacing the screen.

@Rewben, thanks for the advice. I found one on Amazon for $150 plus shipping, though I'm going to wait a couple of days before I order it, just to see if anyone has any other suggestions.

I'd like to say again, in case anyone from Asus actually reads this stuff: Apart from this one issue, the laptop is great. I wanted a good gaming laptop for a very long time, I'm not rich so I had to save and wait in excitement for it. I had high expectations, and the laptop met all my expectations in every way except for this problem with the screen. I like the design, I like the way the whole thing feels, I like the way it's not too loud even when all the fans are on, I like the oversized touch pad, I like the feel of the keys, I like the audio setup. My only problem with it is the problem with the screen. I actually like the screen when it's displaying things that don't create the horizontal flickering issue. I just wish I could make it magically work. 😞

I understand there's nothing that the company can do at this point, but in future I think maybe the testing and QC process needs to be reviewed. This seems to be a very widespread problem being reported by a lot of people who bought these laptops, and we're not all rich, so it causes a lot of disappointment when we save up for months and months to get our new toy, only to find it has a problem which should have been noticed during production and testing.

Warchylde
Level 7
Agreed. I ended up returning mine.. I love asus products but for the same price msi offers the 770m and i7 4700mq... honestly if the screen wasnt an issue I wouldnt be considering going with msi.

EpIcSnIpErZ23
Level 8
I was going to go with an MSI, but the cooling on certain models sucks, so i picked up my Asus G750JW, which is amazing!
Desktop: [CPU: i5-4670k] [GPU: R9 290x] [RAM: 8GB] [HDD: 3x 1tb Raid 0] [MOBO: MSI Z87 M-Power]

Asus G750JW-DB71
CPU: Intel Core i7-4700HQ
GPU: Nvidia GTX 765m [GPU CLOCK: 997MHZ] [MEMORY CLOCK: 6 GHZ]
RAM: 12GB
HDD: 1x 1TB HDD
SSD: 1x 64GB SSD
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198055414700/
Origin ID: DriftingSloth

Warchylde
Level 7
lol yeah I wont disagree, the cooling is pretty bad. But im a college student and bang for buck is what im after 😛 maybe in a year or two ill see what they have coming out when im finally done with school.

Overall I loved my 750JW, just the display was killing me because im OCD about how things look... But other than that, I loved the look and feel of it.