cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

g75vw-bbk5 Issue with booting after SSD install

ikarufox
Level 7
Hi all, I'm new to the forum, though I have read tons of things about this series of laptop, and I must say aside from this issue I've been having; I absolutely love this thing!
Well let's get down to why I'm posting here. My issue is that after anywhere from a day to a month after a fresh windows install I'll go to boot my laptop and it will load into windows start-up recovery and act as though it cannot find a bootable drive. Also when I check in BIOS it seems the boot options will change to Windows Boot Manager as option #1. Also I've noticed that my secondary drive (original 1tb boot drive reformatted and used for storage) will error out saying "COM Surrogate has stopped working". Often when I'm going through pics or music. Then shortly after, the OS will become unstable, eventually freezing up. A re-start will result in either a Diskcheck or start-up recovery.
This has resulted in multiple reformats and loss of data on a monthly basis. I originally installed an Intel 520 SSD, and after hearing about tons of issues with Asus laptops and Mobo's, I switched to a Samsung 830 128gb SSD. This didn't seem to help at all.
Also just today when COM Surrogate crashed and the OS froze up, I removed the secondary drive and it started with no issues. Upon re-installation of the 1TB drive, it came up with this error: Boot Selection Failed Because a Required Device is Inaccessible. Error code: Oxc000000f

Needless to say, this is getting quite annoying, I don't know if it's an issue with some type of power management as I had turned off all power management I know of. SSD is installed and showing as port 0. Is there something I'm missing that I should have changed in BIOS? Or is there maybe a problem with my second HDD that's crashing the OS?
Thanks for any help, I love this laptop, and it plays anything I throw at it easily, but it's not very useful when it requires a reformat every few weeks or month =P
2 REPLIES 2

Clintlgm
Level 14
I suggest you follow the guides in this thread. Its important to remove your Hard Drive when doing a fresh install on your SSD and then after booting is established reinstalled your hard drive and format it or at least format the Data Drive.
Another possible problem your SSD and hard drive are not in the same format Originally the Hard Drive would have been UEIF/GPT your SSD should be the same. If you clean installed window to a BIOS/MBR then you might need to convert your Hard drive to MBR
Many on here are using Samsung 830 and Intel 520 with out issues. Also you might put your SSD on slot 0 and Hard Drive in Slot 1. Set you BIOS boot order for the SSD to boot first or second to DVD however you like to run that.

Have you run any disk benchmarks? Such as HD Tune? Verify that you have good drives!!
Are you clean installing your OS?
Have you removed the old OS, from the hard drive?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm: I will follow that guide to the "T" later tonight. However I think I narrowed it down a bit. When the 2nd drive starts getting messed up, if I remove it, I can boot and use my laptop with no issues. If I install it again, it's right back to the same issues. I'm hoping that will help narrow this down a bit. Perhaps my 1TB drive is shot? or maybe there's something wrong with the BIOS settings?
I have done a clean install multiple times on this system, however it was with both drives installed. Would that really make a difference?

Also, I flashed to BIOS 223 last night, Ran MEMTEST86 and ran a chkdsk on the 1TB drive. No errors found and no changes to the problem.
Thanks again for the help!