cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Screen [solved]

Baigo
Level 7
Hey,

I updated the bios 2 months ago. Today I decided to change boot order to try something in a USB stick, but after restart the screen just went black.

Leds turn on, backlit keyboard turns on for a second too as usual, the DVD reader makes a noise as usual. Tried to open bios, but cant, nothing appears.

I bought the laptop in US, currently living in Argentina. Would be tough if I had to send it to support lol

Thanks, I officially own a big expensive brick.

Feedback is appreciated!
Asus G75VW DS72
Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor 2.3GHz
16 GB SO-DIMM RAM
750GB 7200rpm Hard Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive
17.3-Inch Full-HD LED Screen, Nvidia GTX 670M
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
13 REPLIES 13

Dreamonic
Level 12
This is not a "brick" but a fault in the UEFI boot settings block. Not to worry though as your system is still POSTing behind screen, as your backlit keyboard, front LEDs, etc are functional still during the process.

Simply power the G off, then power it back up and hold the ESC key for several seconds, then down arrow key once and press the Enter key.

This should correct the problem.

If not, because boot order was changed, try arrow down key twice and repeat the rest of the procedure above.

Post your results.

Baigo
Level 7
Dreamonic, thanks for trying to help. Just did what you suggested. Did both things, holding the ESC key the whole time and also just keeping it for a few seconds and repeating the arrow down enter procedure several times. No luck!
Asus G75VW DS72
16 GB SO-DIMM RAM

Dreamonic
Level 12
You are not out of luck, there is still one more thing you can try. PM Sent.

Just to clarify, you let go of the ESC key when you down arrow and pressed enter, correct?

Basically what you are doing is calling up boot selection. If your display was working, Holding ESC key down during boot will display the boot selection order and from there you down/up arrow to your choice. You want to boot into the HDD, but since you changed the boot order around, it may be more than one or two arrow keys down.

This method has worked on a couple machines which had the same problem so far, so I just want to make sure it was done correctly is all.

Even if the HDD is not bootable, this should correct the display problem and BIOS displaying.

Also, remove your USB stick while doing this as the boot list order will be much longer since you will have 2 USB devices showing in that list, not one; The other is for UEFI.

Baigo
Level 7

Thought I could record it with my cellphone... its not good quality but shows how it works after I turn it on.

About your suggestion, I think it's ESC, right, down, enter, down whatever... lol It should restart after, when changes are saved. That doesn't happen.

Blindflashing seems like the last option, any idea if there's a guide to it?

P.S. Tried to check if HDMI worked, no luck.

Thanks
Asus G75VW DS72
16 GB SO-DIMM RAM

Baigo wrote:

Thought I could record it with my cellphone... its not good quality but shows how it works after I turn it on.

About your suggestion, I think it's ESC, right, down, enter, down whatever... lol It should restart after, when changes are saved. That doesn't happen.

Blindflashing seems like the last option, any idea if there's a guide to it?

P.S. Tried to check if HDMI worked, no luck.

Thanks

The order is just hold ESC key down for several seconds after computer just begins to boot up, then release the ESC key and then arrow down key once, twice or even a third time if you tried the rest already and then press enter and it should work. This all depends on where the HDD is listed in the boot order. You'll have to try a few times.

Dreamonic
Level 12
Thank you for the video!

I noticed that your front LEDs all go out except the power light, which after the keyboard lights up momentarily, is all that is left lit up. This goes to show that the UEFI boot settings get lost or corrupt after a BIOS update (in Windows) or after saving any setting in the BIOS afterwards.

Baigo
Level 7
No luck with that mate. 😞
Asus G75VW DS72
16 GB SO-DIMM RAM

dstrakele
Level 14
Check out the last 4 pages of http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?29307-Another-Briked-G75/page. Folks in this thread have encountered a similar issue after saving changes to BIOS version 223.

If I were in your situation, I'd try the CTRL+HOME Crisis BIOS Recovery procedure. If that fails, you may need to reprogram your laptop's BIOS chip as reported in the referenced thread.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
@Baigo, thanks for sending me your serial number and thought I should post here so everybody knows what is going on. Looks like you have 2-year international warranty coverage from what I see, but unfortunately, I don't expect you can get it covered in South America although you may want to double-check with them.

I was hoping you could toggle the caps lock light to indicate the rest of the notebook is working, but since you tell me this doesn't work, I'm not as hopeful that guding you to blindly reload the bios settings or change boot options can help although we might still work on this more later.

Yes, it may be time to try the CTRL+HOME Bios Recovery procedure as dstrakele mentioned, but if you don't have the original ASUS hard drive image installed, you will need to download the G75VW 207 bios (I couldn't get newer G75VW bios versions working for this) and rename it to G75VW.bin on your C: drive before trying it.
Hopefully you can connect the hard drive by USB to another system to get this all set up.
Not sure if this thread Downgrade BIOS 209 from 217 then Laptop wont boot. is any better, but it also has info about the procedure if you want to check it.

Good luck!