Page 3 of 107 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

I guess at this point, Im trying to figure out what 100$ buys me.

If I go SLI I may use two PCIe lanes.. I will never go beyond that. Third SLI lane is a bust.
    Is the sound on the formula an upgrade over the Gene?

So really.. are the features of the Forumla worth 100$ instead of just buying the Gene.

Right now all I see is an extra PCIe and themral armor... maybe a few more ports here and there... is there any thing I am missing?

imMortal Kombatant Array Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Rampage IV Formula
    ProcessorIntel i7 3930K
    Memory (part number)8GB Corsair XMS3 1600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Radeon 7970 3GD5
    Sound CardROG Xonar Phoebus
    MonitorSamsung SyncMaster SA300
    Storage #1Corsair Neutron 128GB
    Storage #2Seagate 2TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair A50 Pro Air Cooler
    CaseBitFenix Merc Alpha
    Power SupplyThermaltake Litepower 700W
    Keyboard Alienware TactX Keyboard
    Mouse Tesoro Gandiva H1L
    OS Win7 Ultimate x64

Quote Originally Posted by IcezX2K View Post
    I was refering to the core3d onboard solution like what gigabyte is offering. Odds are I wont be able to hear any difference with my corsair speakers any way. ( That is descrite vs built in )

Most higher end sound setups these days are digital any way. Even with my high end sound blaster a few years ago the quality did not compare to the ATI sound running through my reciever and higher quality speakers (Klipsh vs corsair speakers)

And of course your limited to what you ear can hear as well.
    It's also about sound clarity, not just how loud you can pump your speakers before you destroy your ear drums lol. On board has really good clarity, don't get me wrong, but dedicated hardware always wins out.

ROG Enthusiast Array

MadaoROG,

That is my question as well - clearity of sound to speakers may not translate to sound heard if you have mid quality speakers. And if that is the case then would a dedicated sound card provide any more clarity on a speaker set such as the corsair you mentioned....

It may be splitting hairs.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by IcezX2K View Post
    I guess at this point, Im trying to figure out what 100$ buys me.

If I go SLI I may use two PCIe lanes.. I will never go beyond that. Third SLI lane is a bust.
    Is the sound on the formula an upgrade over the Gene?

So really.. are the features of the Formula worth 100$ instead of just buying the Gene.

Right now all I see is an extra PCIe and themral armor... maybe a few more ports here and there... is there any thing I am missing?
    The Formula will offer compared to the Gene

Integrated 802.11AC ( Dual Band Wireless with Bluetooth 4.0 ) The gene does not offer integrated wireless but can support it via the mCombo module

Additional SATA ports 10 vs 8

Superior Sound - The integrated discrete solution on the Formula is our most advanced design offering improved components and quality compared to that of Hero and Gene which are already quite solid. It really steps it up to a higher class offering superior tonality, warmth separation and clarity. There are WIMA audio grade capacitors and a much higher end headphone OPAMP along with a dual differential design that also incorporates a DAC for processing. These are all first for the SupremeFX audio design. If you have a nice pair of headphones or speakers the audio alone on this board is worth the cost increase.
    Integrated watercooling support via CrossChill VRM cooling solution ( can run passive and under water while offering native G 1/4 thread support

Overall you get quite a bit for the cost increase. If you are only going to due single GPU though or possibly SLI then Hero or Gene are still outstanding choices and overclocking wise will give you a great result as well. Additionally the audio is still improved just not to the extent of the Formula.

Also to clarify the Formula offers 2 Way SLI support and 3 Way Crossfire.

Hope this helps.

ROG Enthusiast Array

If I had a hero or gene and wanted better audio I'd go out an buy a sound card.

I'm only getting this card for aesthetics as sad as it may sound. I already have my Asus DGX for speakers and will use the on-board for my 5.1 headset.

Unless you are watercooling I don't see point of upgrading to this really.
    | i7 4770k | Asus VI Formula | 8GB Corsair | ATI 7970 |
    | M4 128GB SSD | 2x2TB F4 Eco HDD | Galaxy 850W |
    | Dell 2407WFP | Dell 2405FPW | TJ07-B | Aego M 2.1 |
    | RX480 | D5 | EK-Supremacy CSQ | EK-FC7970 CSQ |

New ROGer Array

wil the sonic radar software be seen as cheating software ?
    because i don't want to be banned using this nifty piece of software
    or will it work on single player games only.

ROG Member Array

To me, just the backplate is a big selling point because the last time I installed CPU into a motherboard, that board made somewhat of a cracking sound as I was getting the lever down to secure the chip. Then there is the audio, debug LED, liquid cooled vrm, kick ass good looks(imo) and the wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by BravoNyN View Post
    wil the sonic radar software be seen as cheating software ?
    because i don't want to be banned using this nifty piece of software
    or will it work on single player games only.
    Honestly speaking, the software is going to virtualize PC-side, and shouldn't be detected as a cheat since it should only be monitoring/displaying the data from the client of the game that's being played. Versus most cheats which alter/interface with the client in one manner or another.

I can see companies disliking this software, but I don't honestly see it as an unfair advantage over a person whom is using a surround sound headset.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by OverClokx View Post
    Honestly speaking, the software is going to virtualize PC-side, and shouldn't be detected as a cheat since it should only be monitoring/displaying the data from the client of the game that's being played. Versus most cheats which alter/interface with the client in one manner or another.

I can see companies disliking this software, but I don't honestly see it as an unfair advantage over a person whom is using a surround sound headset.
    Very true, when playing Counter-Strike on very high end Beyerdynamic headphones I still have trouble knowing exactly where someone is if they are very close to me. It's really weird I hear them from the left and I feel like I know exactly where they are then they keep moving and transition to the right speaker and it sounds like they almost are coming from behind me. This software will help me a lot in those small scale situations.

Quote Originally Posted by EliteA1 View Post
    Very true, when playing Counter-Strike on very high end Beyerdynamic headphones I still have trouble knowing exactly where someone is if they are very close to me. It's really weird I hear them from the left and I feel like I know exactly where they are then they keep moving and transition to the right speaker and it sounds like they almost are coming from behind me. This software will help me a lot in those small scale situations.
    To be honest, it's easier to respond via audio impulse vs visual stimuli, especially when it comes to sound during FPS games.

For example: If you're playing competitively in an FPS and looking at the screen, audio comes passively into your headphones/speakers and allows you to hear what's going on around you. This allows you to be more focused on what's going on on your screen.

With this new system, I'd say it's worse than having surround sound audio. This is because you're hearing things, and you have to look away from gameplay to analyze the audio meter on your screen to verify what you're hearing, which wastes time.

Just my opinion though.

I don't see this giving too much of an advantage (a disadvantage infact) to players with surround sound headsets/audio already.

Page 3 of 107 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast