Page 94 of 107 FirstFirst ... 44 84 92 93 94 95 96 104 ... LastLast
    Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Hi,

The board may have been sitting in stock for a while which has a factor in which UEFI build it was shipped with

1) ME = management engine.
    2) USB BIOS flashback should be highlighted in your manual. It's not EZ Flash 2. Fat32 formatted USB drive in the USB BIOS flashback port. board in standby. You can google for USB Bios flashback video guides etc.

-Raja

ROG Member Array

Heya, just bought the Maximus VI: Formula, really like the board so far except for one issue: The BIOS won't detect any of my hard drives. Somehow, though, the BIOS *does* detect the brand new Samsung SSD I bought in the boot order menu, so I was able to install Windows 7. When I get in to Windows 7, that hard drive is visible but none of the others are. The other two hard drives are two Seagate HDDs and an Intel SSD, both from my previous computer. Any idea how to get the BIOS and Windows 7 to detect them?

So far I've tried going in to the SATA settings in the BIOS, changing AHCI -> IDE and back. The only thing the BIOS detects is my DVD drive. I've also installed all brand new cables that came with the Formula and made sure all connections were secure. I saw in another thread someone mentioned switching between the Intel and Asus SATA controllers but I don't know how to do that or if it will help.

Any ideas?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Arthyron View Post
    Heya, just bought the Maximus VI: Formula, really like the board so far except for one issue: The BIOS won't detect any of my hard drives. Somehow, though, the BIOS *does* detect the brand new Samsung SSD I bought in the boot order menu, so I was able to install Windows 7. When I get in to Windows 7, that hard drive is visible but none of the others are. The other two hard drives are two Seagate HDDs and an Intel SSD, both from my previous computer. Any idea how to get the BIOS and Windows 7 to detect them?

So far I've tried going in to the SATA settings in the BIOS, changing AHCI -> IDE and back. The only thing the BIOS detects is my DVD drive. I've also installed all brand new cables that came with the Formula and made sure all connections were secure. I saw in another thread someone mentioned switching between the Intel and Asus SATA controllers but I don't know how to do that or if it will help.

Any ideas?
    update to lastest bios (14.02)

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by jeroompje View Post
    update to lastest bios (14.02)
    Just tried that, no effect. :\

Just tried that, no effect. :\
    1) Check the motherboard manual (something most of us never do...lol) - it will tell you which ports are Intel and which are ASMedia. There is a diagram in chapter 1 section 1-40. Plug the drives into the SATA ports. The motherboard manual is quite useful believe it or not

2) If the HDDs were ever part of a RAID array on your previous board you may need to break the array on the older board or low-level format the drives to remove the metadata. This can sometimes prevent drives from appearing on newer chipsets if you don't.

3) Ensure the drives are running the latest firmware version..

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    1) Check the motherboard manual (something most of us never do...lol) - it will tell you which ports are Intel and which are ASMedia. There is a diagram in chapter 1 section 1-40. Plug the drives into the SATA ports. The motherboard manual is quite useful believe it or not

2) If the HDDs were ever part of a RAID array on your previous board you may need to break the array on the older board or low-level format the drives to remove the metadata. This can sometimes prevent drives from appearing on newer chipsets if you don't.

3) Ensure the drives are running the latest firmware version..
    1 - All the drives are plugged in to their correct Intel SATA ports. The BIOS now detects the installation SSD, but the other 3 remain invisible.
    2 - They were never part of a RAID array.
    3 - How can I do this if the computer doesn't even detect them?...

1 - All the drives are plugged in to their correct Intel SATA ports. The BIOS now detects the installation SSD, but the other 3 remain invisible.
    2 - They were never part of a RAID array.
    3 - How can I do this if the computer doesn't even detect them?...
    1. Glad checking the manual helped!
    2. That means possible firmware issue (depending on the drive).
    3. Use a computer that does. If you cant then you'll have to find someone that can do it for you. Z87 is very tight on SATA spec - if those drives are old they may either need a firmware update or to be replaced.

ROG Member Array

1. Glad checking the manual helped!
    2. That means possible firmware issue (depending on the drive).
    3. Use a computer that does. If you cant then you'll have to find someone that can do it for you. Z87 is very tight on SATA spec - if those drives are old they may either need a firmware update or to be replaced.
    That's not really an option for me unless I want to pay some store to do it. I think I might as well just buy a new storage hard drive and get a USB converter and transfer the files over that way. Anyone have recommendations for that process?

ROG Guru: White Belt Array Corsair Riker PC Specs
    Corsair Riker PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus VI Formula (BIOS 0804)
    ProcessorIntel i5-4670k
    Memory (part number)16gb (2x8) G. Skill RipJawsX DDR3-2133
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte GV-N770OC-4GD
    MonitorSamsung S24C300HL; BenQ E2200HD
    Storage #1Samsung SSD 250G 840BW EVO
    Storage #2Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB Caviar Blue 7200rpm
    CaseFractal Design Define R4
    Power SupplySeasonic X-Series 750W 80 Plus Gold
    Keyboard Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600
    Mouse Logitech MX 310
    Headset Sennheiser PC 151 Headset & Logitech Z150 Speakers
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Accessory #1 Pioneer BDR-209DBK

Hi,

The board may have been sitting in stock for a while which has a factor in which UEFI build it was shipped with

1) ME = management engine.
    2) USB BIOS flashback should be highlighted in your manual. It's not EZ Flash 2. Fat32 formatted USB drive in the USB BIOS flashback port. board in standby. You can google for USB Bios flashback video guides etc.

-Raja
    Ah. Thanks Raja!
    MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Maximus VI Formula (BIOS 0804)
    CPU: Intel i5-4670k
    HDD 1: Samsung SSD 250G 840BW EVO
    HDD 2: Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB Caviar Blue 7200rpm
    RAM: 16gb (2x8) G. Skill RipJawsX DDR3-2133
    PSU: Seasonic X-Series 750W 80 Plus Gold
    GPU: Gigabyte GV-N770OC-4GD
    CASE: Fractal Design Define R4
    OPTICAL DRIVE: Pioneer BDR-209DBK
    MONITOR: Samsung S24C300HL; BenQ E2200HD
    Other: MS Wired 600; Logitech MX 310; Sennheiser PC 151 & Logitech Z150

ROG Guru: White Belt Array Corsair Riker PC Specs
    Corsair Riker PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus VI Formula (BIOS 0804)
    ProcessorIntel i5-4670k
    Memory (part number)16gb (2x8) G. Skill RipJawsX DDR3-2133
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte GV-N770OC-4GD
    MonitorSamsung S24C300HL; BenQ E2200HD
    Storage #1Samsung SSD 250G 840BW EVO
    Storage #2Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB Caviar Blue 7200rpm
    CaseFractal Design Define R4
    Power SupplySeasonic X-Series 750W 80 Plus Gold
    Keyboard Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600
    Mouse Logitech MX 310
    Headset Sennheiser PC 151 Headset & Logitech Z150 Speakers
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Accessory #1 Pioneer BDR-209DBK

That's not really an option for me unless I want to pay some store to do it. I think I might as well just buy a new storage hard drive and get a USB converter and transfer the files over that way. Anyone have recommendations for that process?
    The cheapest way would be to buy an external enclosure for your hdds. Just a basic one that connects via USB.

No need to buy anything expensive. You may need to buy two different kinds (one for the SSD and one for the other 3 drives) though.

However,

1. Could you post here the make and model numbers of the hdds that are failing to be detected?

2. Could you also post of a photo (or few) of how you have them all connected?
    MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Maximus VI Formula (BIOS 0804)
    CPU: Intel i5-4670k
    HDD 1: Samsung SSD 250G 840BW EVO
    HDD 2: Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB Caviar Blue 7200rpm
    RAM: 16gb (2x8) G. Skill RipJawsX DDR3-2133
    PSU: Seasonic X-Series 750W 80 Plus Gold
    GPU: Gigabyte GV-N770OC-4GD
    CASE: Fractal Design Define R4
    OPTICAL DRIVE: Pioneer BDR-209DBK
    MONITOR: Samsung S24C300HL; BenQ E2200HD
    Other: MS Wired 600; Logitech MX 310; Sennheiser PC 151 & Logitech Z150

Page 94 of 107 FirstFirst ... 44 84 92 93 94 95 96 104 ... LastLast