Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

looking for some ideas to solve boot problem

I've been using a rampage iv extreme for little over a year now. I went and changed out video cards today and when i went to boot back up nothing. The lights on the mb are on power/reset/bios etc, but when i try to boot up it just does nothing. No post sounds no LED debug no fans nothing. It's possible i could have accidentally unplugged something but i really don't know what. Any ideas of what i could try would be appreciated i'll add an attachment of the picture of the mb.

this is a 2nd post accidentally posted this first in a diff area
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos WP_20130805_001.jpg  

ROG Member Array

you need to plug in power to your video card see the 6 pin and 8 pin ports on top of the card? you should have PCI-E leads from your power supply that will fit in there. Once its plugged in you should be fine

ROG Member Array

yeah that picture was taken with them out as i was trying to get room for a good pic of the mb. with the power to the video card plugged in it still does nothing. i do notice a little click when i turn power on now but nothing still comes up

ROG Member Array

oh damn is the click coming from the power supply? that normally means the psu is dead. Make sure you 24pin mobo and 8 pin cpu power is secure. Unplug all your drives and cd and try again. Also try plugging out the psu and hitting the power button on your pc to drain the caps and give it a try. If you are still hearing the psu make a click then it most likely is your psu.

ROG Member Array

motherboard = rampage iv extreme
    processor = Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 2011 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73820
    power supply = CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850 (CMPSU-850AX) 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply
    memory = 16gig of corsair vengence 4 sticks of 4 gig
    os = win 8
    bios = using the default bios that shipped in 2012
    was switching from a evga 560 ti card to a evga 760 card when the prob happened

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

1. Remove your GTX 760.
    2. Switch off your PSU.
    3. Disconnect the power cable.
    4. Remove the CMOS battery for 5 minutes.
    5. Put it back into place.
    6. Insert your GTX 760 and connect the PCIe cables.}
    7. Connect your power cable back to the PSU.
    8. Switch on your PSU.
    9. Power up your system.

Now I need you to take note of a few things for me.
    1. Are you getting any video output?
    2. Are there any QCODEs on the DEBUG LED?
    3. Look beside the 24 pin power connector to see a few QLEDs. Do any of them stay lit?
    4. Last but not least, are the GPU fans spinning?

ROG Member Array

Alright followed the steps my results are:

1. getting no video output
    2. there are no QCODEs and the DEBUG LED is not lit
    3. none of the QLEDs are lit or ever light up
    4. no fans are running GPU or CPU
    now i'm just hearing a click when i power on.
    The lights for bios, start, reset and the clr cmos on the back light up but those are the only lights

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

Please verify that the 24 pin, 8 pin and 4 pin power cables are properly connected from the PSU to the motherboard. Also confirm that you have the 6 pin PCIe and 8 pin PCIe cables connect to your GTX 760.

ROG Member Array

The 24pin and 4 pin check .T.he 8 pin has a cover over 4pins and has 4 open i've been using just another 4 pin connection there not a 8. Should i remove the cover and try a 8pin connection there? I've been using the 4pin fine for a year now and switching back to the old card with same setup didn't work. I have noticed that all my usb peripherials are lighting up. totally confused on this been a long bloody day.
    Last edited by Mrith; 08-06-2013 at 12:30 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast