cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G46VW - Black screen all the time

Runem
Level 7
Hi
I've purchased an ASUS G46VW while on a visit to the USA.
The harddrive however was faulty (tested in my other machine with several tools) and I replaced it with a SSD.
Windows 8 did not want to be installed however, even though I got my hands on a Windows 8 OEM 64bit US disc.
I played around in the BIOS disabling: Secure boot, fast boot and enabling Launch CSM and enabling PXE of ROM, and at last it allowed me to install Windows 8.

Once i reached Windows, I changed the clock to local European time, and updated the drivers for the graphics card via. Windows update.
I rebooted the computer, not a problem.
I went into the BIOS, and changed the boot order from DVD (external) to HDD first.
I then turned off the computer, and since I did that I have received nothing but black screen upon turning the machine on.

When I turn it on the keyboard flashes with the backlight a few times, and then the light is turned off. Still light in the power-button and LED's in the front panel.
20 seconds after turning it on, the fan in the left side will start. The fan on the right never starts.

I have tried:
* Another monitor on via VGA cable, resolution 1280*1024 as suggested on some forum.
* Another monitor on via HDMI cable, resolution 1920*1080.
* Checking if the monitor cable is fastened in the computer itself, clicking it off to click it on again.
* Taking off the battery pack (just the cable unplugged).
* Turning it on with battery only.
* Holding down the start button for 20 to 45 seconds with no power line - no battery - not even BIOS battery. Also tried with just the BIOS battery.
* Taking off any part that the computer would not normally need; extra block of RAM, WIFI, speaker and front panel.
* Turning it on, and just giving it time, approx 1 hour of black screen before I quit that idea.
* Left the BIOS battery out on the table for an hour, no change.
* Pressed ESC upon boot, and then arrow-down one, two or three times followed by 'Enter'. No change, several tries.

I voided my guarantee, as sending it back and forth would cost a fortune, and most importantly time I do not have.
Calling local ASUS service center confirmed that I would have to send it back to USA.

Is there a way to reset the BIOS with a short in this machine?

Any suggestion is welcome, I might have tried more things that I have forgot about.
17 REPLIES 17

rewben
Level 13
if you have a local service center, make sure to check if you have international warranty support with the shop you bought it from. if your laptop have that, send it in to the local service center.

i know this is frustrating. you have tried almost all the options that we can find here, except for asking asus tech support at service center for help.

dstrakele
Level 14
Check out http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?35059-Black-Screen&country=&status=. Try the CTRL+HOME Crisis BIOS Recovery procedure. If that fails, you may need to reprogram your laptop's BIOS chip as discussed in the thread I referenced there.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Runem
Level 7
The CTRL+HOME method has been tried, but for good lucks sake I'm going to give it another try.
Thank you both for the replies!

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
fyi. If you want to use the CTRL+HOME method, just make sure you are either using the original ASUS hard drive image (with bios *.bin file on the C: drive), or copied the bios *.bin file to your C: drive since this is where is loads the bios from.

Please let us know if you need more information about this.

Good luck!

Runem
Level 7
Hi cl-Albert
As the original harddisk was faulty, I do not have that .bin file, which is probably why that does not work at all.
I am having trouble finding where to download that particular file though, is it just one of the bios downloads from this site? http://www.service.asus.com/#!downloads/c1wax
And if so, which BIOS version would my laptop most likely have been shipped with if purchased sometime within the past two weeks from bestbuy?

cl-Albert
Hi Runem,

This procedure doesn't always work, but it's definitely worth a try.

Yes, just go to the ASUS G46VW download site here and get the oldest bios.

After you download the bios, you need to rename it to G46VW.bin and copy to your C: drive root as in the screenshot below which is from the original ASUS factory image.

I happen to have a G46VW unit and just tried the procedure for my working unit.
My G46VW.bin bios version was 204 which isn't posted, so you may just want to get and rename the 205 bios which hopefully is close enough, or I can try to get you my file.

Good luck!

Runem
Level 7
I'd love to get a copy of your version, as that is most likely what I have to begin with.
Thanks in advance!

cl-Albert
Let me know if it's better to find another way, but can you send me a PM at cl-albert with your email if it can accept attachments of 3MB and I'll try to email it through our system?

Btw it is normal that the GPU fan doesn't start. Due to optimus, the GPU is only needed in graphics intensive situations.
Asus G46VW
i7 3630QM | 750GB Hard Drive | 1080p Full HD Display | Corsair Vengeance 16GB | GTX 660m | Windows 7 Ultimate