cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed for a new rig

ayeshaali
Level 7
ello there,

im building a new rig. this is as far as i have gotten...

Asus maximus v formula
Asus GTX 660 ti (1)
Samsung LED 21"
WD caviar black 1 tb

i need advice on what RAM and PSU should i be getting.... i have no idea what to get ... need advice. i will be using the rig primarily for 3d work and of course some gaming 🙂

budget for both the ram and psu would be somewhere around 350 - 400 dollars.

thanks
44 REPLIES 44

Krindor
Level 11
If you aren't planning on getting another gpu a 750w psu will be enough. These should go for around 100
As for ram if you are going to be working with 3d programs a 4x8gb ram kit at 1866mhz will do great.
You should rethink your choice of motherboard as the MVF is the previous generation and the new one would be the MVIF as well as a 4th gen processor so a good processor would be the 4770k.
Also some kind of aftermarket cooler, either air or AIO water cooling.
What is your budget for everything?
| Chassi: Phantom Fulltower White Edition | Mobo: Maximus V Extreme | CPU: i7 3770k
| Memory: 2x8gb G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz | GPU: PNY Geforce GTX 670 | PSU: NZXT Hale 90 750w
| SSD: Intel 120gb 330 series (OS) | Intel 120gb 330 series (Games n stuff)
| Monitor: LG 29EA93 | Cooling: Custom Loop

the maximus v formula was a present ... so was the gtx 660ti ... so i have to basically build around them. 🙂
on top of that, i only have two options available in stores near rt now and those are either a 3770k or a 3930k.
you mentioned a 750 w psu as well as the RAM. could you please recommend a company that i should look into?
i have around 900 dollars to spend over the entire build including the monitor, casing etc...

much appreciated.
regards

kkn
Level 14
M6F not out yet.
processor?

Krindor
Level 11
Added the Swedish word for CPU by mistake xD
| Chassi: Phantom Fulltower White Edition | Mobo: Maximus V Extreme | CPU: i7 3770k
| Memory: 2x8gb G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz | GPU: PNY Geforce GTX 670 | PSU: NZXT Hale 90 750w
| SSD: Intel 120gb 330 series (OS) | Intel 120gb 330 series (Games n stuff)
| Monitor: LG 29EA93 | Cooling: Custom Loop

HiVizMan
Level 40
3570K would be better suited. But the 3770k is suitable for your board. The 33930K is not compatible with your motherboard.

I think that KP needs to be involved in this thread, he is from India and knows what is available in your country.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

kkn
Level 14
for gaming go for the i5 3570K, that will save you some money because the 3770K is a hypertread CPU and will only gain a couple of FPS more but not worth the monney.
and the 3930K is for the LGA2011 platform and not the LGA1155 you have now.
and if the 3D program uses hyper treading go for the 3770K, i have not used enny 3D programs o i dont know what they use.
if you have the monney for it look in the 750W series of corsair, and get ram from the range 1600 to 2133mhz, and ONLY buy one kit, not 2 diffrent kits ( by kit i mean 1 pack of the amount of ram you want, AKA: 2x 4gig or 2x 8gig or more, depends on you ).
memory brands, go whit corsair of g-skill's, they both have a memory config on their home page that you can go in and list your mobo and so on and it will list whats compatible whit it, and then go to google ( or the online/pc store you gona buy from to see if they are there )
corsairs -> http://www.corsair.com/en/learn_n_explore/
g-skill's -> http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator
and i would guess you need from 16gig and up whit memory.
casing is personaly i guess, but get one whit good airflow, and that can handle ATX -> E-ATX cards.
and KB and mouse get some cheep ones and get bether ones down the road to save a few if that is an option.

just PM'd KP hiviz

KPRage
Level 10
Thanks kkn.. Hey ayeshaali, Welcome to ROG.. Can you please let me know which part of India you are from?

Also, if you are comfortable shopping online, here are some of the sites you can shop in:

http://www.primeabgb.com/
http://www.theitdepot.com/
http://www.flipkart.com/

I would suggest to go with MVI Hero; Link; Processor i5 should suffice; Link

For RAM, go for gskill kits..

For cabinet Please follow the link below and, add the following filters;
Category: Atx only to be checked;
Brand: Except for iBall and, Mercury, select all;
Sort by Price Low-High
Link : Link

Also, if you are not comfortable shopping online, please do let me know where you are from and, I can suggest some local stores in that place or, a place near by..

Also, you may have to stretch your budget by a bit for a proper build.. Especially since the prices have increased again recently..

Cheers,
KP
CPU: Intel i5 3570k OC'd to 4.6GHz @1.170V; Mobo: MVG; GPU: Zotac 1070 mini OC'd to +210MHz/+205MHz; Memory: 8GB (2X4GB dual channel) Corsair Vengeance 1333Mhz 9-10-9-T2; SSD: Samsung 840 pro; HDD: 1TB WD Green 6Gbps; PSU: Corsair GS 600w; Case: Bitfenix Merc Alpha:Hybrid Octane in progress; Cooler: Corsair H80 closed loop cooling @ high profile;

Pre & Post Build Guide

A lot of epic FAIL videos are made before one epic WIN video is made 🙂

Thanks kprage! but as i mentioned earlier... i was gifted the motherboard (maximus v formula) and the gpu (gtx 660 ti) so i pretty much have to build around them.

ayeshaali wrote:
Thanks kprage! but as i mentioned earlier... i was gifted the motherboard (maximus v formula) and the gpu (gtx 660 ti) so i pretty much have to build around them.
Wow.. That's an awesome gift to get..:cool: Sorry didn't notice that part.. 🙂

Also, you are my neighbor ayeshaali.. Welcome to ROG again 🙂

Okay then, back to the topic, the i7 is a better choice for your job indeed.. Do go with a 750w gold.. That should be enough to handle the 660ti.. Have fun ROGing.. 🙂

Cheers,
KP
CPU: Intel i5 3570k OC'd to 4.6GHz @1.170V; Mobo: MVG; GPU: Zotac 1070 mini OC'd to +210MHz/+205MHz; Memory: 8GB (2X4GB dual channel) Corsair Vengeance 1333Mhz 9-10-9-T2; SSD: Samsung 840 pro; HDD: 1TB WD Green 6Gbps; PSU: Corsair GS 600w; Case: Bitfenix Merc Alpha:Hybrid Octane in progress; Cooler: Corsair H80 closed loop cooling @ high profile;

Pre & Post Build Guide

A lot of epic FAIL videos are made before one epic WIN video is made 🙂