View Poll Results: Which bag is best for carrying the G74?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Slappa MASK High Five

13 14.94%
  • Everki Beacon

15 17.24%
  • Targus XL

35 40.23%
  • Other (Please specify below)

24 27.59%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

this should be a sticky
    G74SX-AH71
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M 3GB GDDR5 VRAM
    Display: 17.3-inch Full HD display (1920 x 1080)
    Processor: i7-2670QM (2.2 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.1 GHz)
    Memory: 16GB DDR3

I love it

Quote Originally Posted by xeromist View Post
    That might depend on the person. Some of my friends already have extra natural padding.
    Thing with my padding is it isn't where my backpack goes.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

The Targus is a great backpack for this laptop. The laptop fits perfectly, plenty of padding in my opinion, and has lots of room for the power supply, clothing for a days hike, (or books if needed) water bottle exterior holder, and a place to put damp clothes so that they still get air and can sort of dry out a little bit (well, that's what I would use that area for anyway). Plus the whole thing is water resistant (it's got a sort of rubberized coating on all the enclosures.

I don't know if it's named the "XL" as I lost the tags that were on it, and only bought it last week while on a holiday away from home as the original bag that I bought was too much of a tight squeeze to just put the laptop and the power supply, felt it was putting too much pressure on the laptop.

Edit: Found it on the web, it's the Targus Citygear backpack
    http://www.amazon.com/Targus-17-City.../dp/B004C0Z4IM
    Last edited by City Builder; 01-02-2012 at 10:48 AM.

ROG Member Array

hmm, nobody ever mentioned the citygear fitting a G74, its $20 more than the XL normally though with your link its currently the same price lol
    So yeah, it looks nice.
    But while I dont know anything about the citygear, the padding I mean on targus XLs is not for the laptop. Its the shoulder strap. Theres really no padding in this thing

Love Everki bags level of padding but they are very expensive. Though I did end up buying one from them since I will be traveling around alot, so padding is essential.

For people using these around town thicker padding isnt as important and citygear may be better padded than the XL, but I did look at pics just now and padding doesnt look too bad, especially for in city travel and there is City Builders testamonial

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

The one that I linked to is configured slightly different from mine, although they are both Citygear bags. On mine it's not quite so pocketized, in the sense that in the photos on the page that I linked, the area that has the strings attached, shows that there is a pocketing inside of it, this is where I would put damp clothes (swimsuit at the beach etc) since mine does not have this pocket, and the first pocket that shows the pens, is on the opposite side in my pocket, but otherwise looks like they are the same.

I'd have to say that the backpack padding for the laptop is no less nor any thicker than the rest of the backpacks that I checked out at that Frys store that day (I'd be crazy concerned if I dropped the whole backpack on the floor and think it would sustain damage, however a slight bump up against the car door I don't think would worry me), and since I never wear it as an actual backpack, the straps were not a concern for me (whereas the handle was, and it's a rubber round handgrip that appears to be somehow riveted into the backpack on mine - On the image in the link above it doesn't appear to have the big rivet that mine does), however after just checking it out a moment ago, (wearing it as a backpack), I'd be comfortable with it, if it had the strap for the chest. It has the loops for it, but I appear to be missing the strap, I'd have to guess that somebody came along and stole the strap in the store, or they're an optional item.

Never the less, I'd buy another one if I needed to for some reason.

Just wanted to try to clarify.

Edit: Also to note, that on my backpack is a small zippered compartment on the flap that is held by bungee string, I found this a great place to put my keys (easy to find) as well as loose change or a couple dollars for emergencies (like lost of stolen wallets). Overall there must be a difference in the ages of the bags, maybe mine is newer or older, don't really know, but they are carrying them through the same "name" so one maybe has to check out each one carefully to see if it's in the configuration that they would want and will suit them.

Also to note, I think that if I was really going to wear this as a backpack for extended periods of time and walking, that I would likely go to the local auto parts store and buy 2 sheepskin car seatbelt thingies. These sheepskin things open up on the long side with velcro and wrap around your cars seatbelt so that it makes the seat belt more comfortable to use, and I'd just slip them onto the padded straps to make them more comfortable since I have sensitive shoulders and neck. However it's not likely that I'd be using this as a real backpack for extended periods of time if at all (just because I don't have to)
    Last edited by City Builder; 01-02-2012 at 01:07 PM.

New ROGer Array

Hey
    I'm wondering if this will fit the g74 or if i should go for this ? Or does anyone else have a suggestion for a cheap, smallest possible backpack that whould fit the g74?

thanks

New ROGer Array

Slimmest backpack for g74

hi again. I bought this backpack and it works just fine for the g74. Nice padding. Alot smaller than the other options that i've seen. Cheap too!
    I recommend

ROG Member Array

I bought an O'neill Bag that has a laptop part. It was the biggest bag they had in the store where I got it, but still a nice bag. Sadly, the G74 was too big to fit in it, as in the depth of it. I cut one side of the laptop part open, and it fitted perfectly.

ROG Member Array

I was thinking of getting the ASUS ROG Shuttle Backpack, http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?..._detail&p=4366 I figure I spent a bit for the G74 why not spend a bit to keep it safe its $109. Has anyone bought this one? If so is it built decently?
    Thanks
    MorBlade

Checked out the Targus Web site and they had this 17.3 bag. Id doesnt look bad either. For $99
    Targus Demolition 17.3” Backpack http://www.targus.com/us/productdeta...0for%20Laptops
    Last edited by MorBlade; 01-14-2012 at 02:22 AM.

New ROGer Array

Hmm... was doing some research on bags and decided to give the Targus Demolition a shot. My wife's had a Targus laptop bag for five years, and it's stood up quite well. Hopefully the backpack will show the same quality.

Though I'm ordering it through Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details (at a savings of about 12% off the MSRP)

After one return of a different bag (claimed to fit 17"... and, well... at least the return process was fairly painless) with a similar look, I'm hoping this one works out. Will report in about a week on the fit.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast