Level 7
Budget: Approx $4000.00 USD
Main uses of intended build: Gaming, panoramic with 3 monitors
Parts required: All
Monitor resolution: 1920x1080/5760x1080
Storage requirements: Basically just savegames and screenshots
Will you be overclocking: Yes

Hello all,

I am ready to build one of these things! I wish to game in 5760x1080, mainly Skyrim.

Parts I already have:
SSD
HDD
Keyboard and mouse
Monitors
Blu-ray burner
Windows OS

Link to newegg wishlist:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=22835645

Parts:

Cooler Master HAF X case
Mini displayPort to DVI cable
Maximus VI Extreme Motherboard
ASUS GTX780 graphics card
Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200W power supply
Intel Core i7-4770K processor
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD
Corsair Vengeance 16GB 4x4 1600 RAM
Seagate 2tb HDD
Logitech G510S keyboard
Noctua NF-F12 fan
Noctua NF-F12 fan
Noctua NF-F12 fan
Noctua NF-F12 fan
Corsair Hydro Series H100i water cooler
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz monitor
ASUS Blu-ray burner
Windows 7 pro OS
Tuniq TX-4 thermal compound

This is my first time, am I on the right track? I want this thing to run well and run cool. (and hopefully be nice and quiet too) Please and thank you for any criticism or suggestions!

-Kevin
31 REPLIES 31

kkn
Level 14
IF its just for gaming i personaly would aim for the i5, but if your gona do some rendering whit vids or things like that go for the i7 you have listed.
how about this kit? -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233539
2 sticks in stead of 4, and higher mhz then the ones you listed but $10 more, but thats up to you.
and since you have that cooler you dont have to thing about ram hight.
just a dumb question, why did you choose the extreeme over the hero one?

Thank you for the reply!

I do like that memory kit better. I had a hard time picking which RAM I want to use, there are just so many of them out there. As to the motherboard: I had originally picked the Extreme mostly for the extra pci slots, however according to what I have read over the last few days (in fact I think it may have been one of your posts) one good graphics card is better than less powerful ones in sli. Also, I didn't realize until you asked and I compared them again that I would likely end up needing a sound card for the Extreme. It looks like the Hero might do the job and save me about 350 bucks. Maybe I can use that money to go with the Titan instead of the 780. 😄

-Kevin

kkn
Level 14
that must be hiviz that have stated that comment
im planing to do 3 or 4 screens my self but have not bought enny monitors yet.
the 780 and titan, from what i understand there its just the ram thats diffrent, and the titan is 10% faster then the 780 realy.

kkn wrote:
that must be hiviz that have stated that comment
im planing to do 3 or 4 screens my self but have not bought enny monitors yet.
the 780 and titan, from what i understand there its just the ram thats diffrent, and the titan is 10% faster then the 780 realy.

I was kidding about the titan. I have no problem spending the extra money for something if it's worth it, but it didn't seem like it was to me. That's why I picked the 780 originally.

Zebeyo
Level 10
What sort of performance are you looking for in Skyrim and are we talking 100s of texture pacs or a clean install?

Don't know much about Skyrim, but I do know the texture pacs are a bitch. My point is - For 5760*1080 resolution, are you sure a single 780 is enough?

Zebeyo wrote:
What sort of performance are you looking for in Skyrim and are we talking 100s of texture pacs or a clean install?

Don't know much about Skyrim, but I do know the texture pacs are a bitch. My point is - For 5760*1080 resolution, are you sure a single 780 is enough?

I'm not sure, a single 780 may very well not be enough. Perhaps someone that has done it will chime in. I would like to run it on high. I don't have any texture packs or ENB mods now, but it isn't out of the question for the future. I read a review that claimed to average over 50FPS on high with FXAA on at 5760x1080, I would imagine they ran it unmodded though. I am not opposed to spending more on GPU's if necessary.

kkn
Level 14
im running 2 of em now, but then i only use a TV ( 60HZ/60FPS ) and a slave monitor for TS.
heres a test of tri monitor settup.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_780_sli_review,22.html

meankeys
Level 13
Sup Guy's
Thought I jump in and say... I am running 3 ASUS 24" in 5760X1080. I don't play skyrim so I don't know how that might play. Would it compare to Crysis 3? Also I am running AMD 2 XFX 7950 CF. 1 Card will do it but for better FPS I would turn down the graphics to High or Med. depending on the game. With both cards everything I have thrown at it will play on Highest or ultra settings. I play BF3, Crysis 3, iracing, COD BO iii, Hawx 2 and many others. I love it and it has brought a whole new meaning to Pc gaming IMO. Again I want to say there are a few things you may need to know about cabling and hookup. with the asus monitors you selected you are in good shape as you need at least 1 display port and HDMI and or DVI. I haven't been part of the green team for some time so with Nvidia control panel and drivers I may not be very helpful. AMD on the other hand the Catalyst control center makes it very easy to setup and control your displays.