cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Tool] Score Calculator for 3D Benchmark Tests - Calculate your Scores !!

Henkenator68NL
Level 13
Score Calculator 3D Bench Tests

Author: Henkenator68NL (H. Rozema)
Date: 25 july 2013
Published: On Asus ROG Forum

A while ago I was running some bench tests. For the graphic card tests like 3DMark Fire Strike and a lot off its predecessors down to 3DMark01SE (still a tricky test even for current systems).

Those tests often are split into different subtests, that subsequently test different parts of your system. I was wondering how each subtest –or component tests as they are called by the 3DMark family’s creator: Futuremark- are scored and what their influence is on the total score.

Since I have joined the ROG Supreme OC team, I started to pay more attention the scoring. The first thing I did was study the latest Futuremark white paper (Ice Storm, Cloud Gate and Fire Strike). Understanding the formulas that are used to calculate the overall score, proved to be more difficult than I anticipated, but I got it covered now.

Check this thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?34363-GUIDE-3DMark-Score-Calculation-how-to-calculated-your...= ) –if you would like a more in depth view- concerning the Futuremark scoring system (for the latest tests).

I found it useful to be able to calculate the individual and or end scores. This way it is much easier to get a grip on each component test, its weight and importance in the total score and also where to put effort if you want to improve your scores.

• Suppose a test would have a Graphics component and a CPU component, would getting a 10% faster CPU speed increase my overall score by 10%? –
After studying the latest 3DMark tests, I looked for the white papers for all previous Futuremark 3D tests and found most off them. The scoring system that is used is pretty much the same for 3DMark Vantage, 3DMark11 and the latest (2013) version. 3DMark03, 3DMark05 and 3DMark06 scores are calculated in a somewhat different manner. 3dMark01SE uses a different formula.

Generally the score is calculated using either a harmonic mean, a weighing factor and a constant or a mix off all previous mentioned factors. These properties balance the scores and bring them all in a typical Futeremark scoring Range.

All of those tests are part of the Hardware Bot’s test list and I wanted to be able to calculate the scores off each test. To be able to do that I poured all the information into an excel spreadsheet and I think I got them all working. I created the “Score Calculator 3D Bench Test”, the spreadsheet takes care of all the formula’s and calculates the scores for each subtest and the overall score.

If you would like to be able to calculate the 3DMark scores without diving deep into the matter, you can download my calculator below (spreadsheet in zip file).

How to use the Score Calculator 3D Benchmark Tests

If you download the Score Calculator, save the file and open it you will see something like this:

The Calculator is split up in three main areas, the top part contains general info, the middle is the user input part, the bottom part is the area where all calculated scores will be displayed.

Select the 3dMark Test you want to use and calculate its scores. Do this by clicking the field underneath the remark “select test here” . If you point your mouse to the correct Cell, the “Select test” info box will pop up.

Click on the arrow on the right side, you will than see a pull down menu with all tests that are available in the Score Calculator version 1,

An example, suppose you want to calculate your 3DMark Vantage Result. You first can find the available presets by clicking the field beneath the Test selection field), in this case the performance preset has been selected:

Now simply fill In the RAW frames per second results, exactly as displayed in the Futuremark test (in this case use input field 1 through 4). Each Test has its own input values, they are automatically pulled from the database list.

If you have filled all 4 Raw FPS score (as found in the area marked by the red square), the scores are automatically calculated:

• The Graphics score (derived from Graphic Test 1 and 2)
  • The CPU score (derived from CPU test 1 and 2)
  • The 3DMark Vantage score Performance

Note: very small deviations in the scores are caused by rounding off the RAW pfs that is displayed in the 3DMark test (for example GPU Test1 = 135,07, but that number is rounded off, in the calculation the full string of numbers –that is invisible for us- is used). However those deviations are in a 0,1% range and therefore insignificant).

You can play with the Raw fps input and see what influence each fps has. Suppose you would be able to increase your GPU score for Graphic Test 1 and 2 by 10% (148,58 fps and 131,37 fps), would this result in a 10% higher overall score?

Let’s change the input values and see: The Graphics score now is: 47838 (was 43489) -> increase 10%
The CPU score remained the same: 32366 (unchanged)
The overall score: 3DMark Vantage score Performance: 42731 (was 40048) -> increase 6,7% !

So as you can see an increase off 10% on the graphic part of the test yields a gain of 6,7% in the overall score. For all benchmark tests, this differs and also between the various presets.

If you have any thoughts, questions or ideas our would like to see more Bench tests added just let me know. Please keep the thread clean and on topic. If you might come across any errors, let me know. Please bear in mind that building the calculator was very time consuming.

I you like the calculator, please rate the thread.
21 REPLIES 21

HiVizMan
Level 40
Which thread do you want sticky? This or the original?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Which thread do you want sticky? This or the original?
I think this thread is best for sticky! 😄

Henk, this is an awesome tool.. Will explore this more the coming weekend.. Thanks for the awesome work.. 🙂

P.S: It says the excel is locked.. How do I unlock it?
CPU: Intel i5 3570k OC'd to 4.6GHz @1.170V; Mobo: MVG; GPU: Zotac 1070 mini OC'd to +210MHz/+205MHz; Memory: 8GB (2X4GB dual channel) Corsair Vengeance 1333Mhz 9-10-9-T2; SSD: Samsung 840 pro; HDD: 1TB WD Green 6Gbps; PSU: Corsair GS 600w; Case: Bitfenix Merc Alpha:Hybrid Octane in progress; Cooler: Corsair H80 closed loop cooling @ high profile;

Pre & Post Build Guide

A lot of epic FAIL videos are made before one epic WIN video is made 🙂

KPRage wrote:
Henk, this is an awesome tool.. Will explore this more the coming weekend.. Thanks for the awesome work.. 🙂

P.S: It says the excel is locked.. How do I unlock it?
Thanks Kp! I block the cells that should not be altered, the only cells that are unlock are the cells that need user input. Those are the cells under "Enter your RAS scores here" . All other cells are filled by formula's and lists on the other tabs. If you however do want to alter the containing fields please send me a pm.

KPRage
Level 10
This would be better since it has the download link and, link to the other post too!?
CPU: Intel i5 3570k OC'd to 4.6GHz @1.170V; Mobo: MVG; GPU: Zotac 1070 mini OC'd to +210MHz/+205MHz; Memory: 8GB (2X4GB dual channel) Corsair Vengeance 1333Mhz 9-10-9-T2; SSD: Samsung 840 pro; HDD: 1TB WD Green 6Gbps; PSU: Corsair GS 600w; Case: Bitfenix Merc Alpha:Hybrid Octane in progress; Cooler: Corsair H80 closed loop cooling @ high profile;

Pre & Post Build Guide

A lot of epic FAIL videos are made before one epic WIN video is made 🙂

nikosa43
Level 12
Henk, this is scientific job! I could never go that deep. I am patient, I like making notes to organize things, but you are way ahead! Congratulations, 5 stars for the thread 🙂

nikosa43 wrote:
Henk, this is scientific job! I could never go that deep. I am patient, I like making notes to organize things, but you are way ahead! Congratulations, 5 stars for the thread 🙂
Thanks my friend !!

kkn
Level 14
mutch respect for the jobb you put in to this henk.

Henkenator68NL
Level 13
Takk KKN !