cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD noise

The_Thing
Level 8
Hi there!

Does anyone have a king**** 120gb ssd? Mine is such a ****ty thing. It makes a noise like ticking and affects my fans. Dunno how, but I am sure it's the ssd. I will uninstall it and prolly go with the hdd only....meh. So, anyone experiencing such problems?
15 REPLIES 15

LLothar
Level 7
SSD does not have a single moving part in it. It is impossible for it to make any noise...

LLothar wrote:
SSD does not have a single moving part in it. It is impossible for it to make any noise...

This. Maybe an electrical hum but a ticking sounds should not be possible. I would suspect the SSD as the last thing in my system for the symptoms you are describing.

The_Thing
Level 8
I know but I removed the ssd and the noise disappeared..so it was the ssd . I'll prolly rma it and never mess up with ssds...HDD FOR THE WIN!:D

Disagree, SSD are the best fastest you just need to get the top of the line ones, Samsung 940 Pro, even the 940 and 930 are great, Intel 520 etc Even the last generation of SSD are 2 to 3 times faster than the fastest HD's.
Optimum size is 250 GB for an OS drive.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

The_Thing
Level 8
I know, but I've had plenty of HDDs and none made my day a nightmare like this ssd. I'll stick to the old ones..

I guess you have just been lucky with hard drives, as they have caused me many a bad day over the years.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Anvirol
Level 7
Just see previous posts from "The Thing"... If only I had forum moderator privileges..

I'm not sure if you're trolling or not, but can you keep your issues to a single thread? I doubt the SSD can produce any noise, but faulty VRMs could do it.
i7-7700k @ 5GHz | Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero | 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4133 MHz | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 OC 11 Gbps | ASUS MG279Q | Intel 256GB 600p NVMe | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

The_Thing
Level 8
errm dude, I make different threads because I have different topics. Like, ofc when people see SSD problems, they don't expect keyboard issues, right? Every problem has it's place lol. Or at least that's how I think.

Shawnnepc
Level 13
It actually sounds like your SSD is arcing for some reason. That'd really be the only way to describe the ticking sound.

If that's the case you need to remove that SSD immediately(As it could pose a shock hazard) and contact ASUS for a replacement.
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com