cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Advice On Power Jack Replacement/Resoldering? (G53Jw)

Kinesis22
Level 7
Now that I have all the drivers installed the way they should be on my G53Jw (Thanks again Pitcher@asus and cl-Albert), on to the fun part.

The power jack is messed up somehow, the person I bought the laptop from told me that it's just loose on the motherboard and it should just take a little bit of soldering to fix it. It works as long as it's angled a certain way, (that direction varies) but I'm worried it's going to just stop working completely at some point. So, can anyone give me advice on fixing it? I have limited experience with soldering (I made some cables before) and my Dad knows how to solder some too, I have never taken apart a laptop before. Should I try to fix it on my own? Or should I go somewhere to have them do it?

Basically I want to know what the chances of me messing up and ruining it are in taking it apart, re-soldering it, and putting it all back together again. If you have any advice on how to take it apart that would be great too.

Thanks!
~Kinesis22

"Since there's only one of me shouldn't my opinion be doubled?"
"Is it possible to play that game in your sleep?" "Oh definitely, I think better in my sleep."
3 REPLIES 3

billyray520
Level 10
You can check out this youtube video to get an idea what's involved. (Although it is a different model.)
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

Kinesis22
Level 7
Thanks for the video, I saw in the comments that they had one for the G53 series and I found that one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNmvP2InQPg

Does touching two points that were soldered on the motherboard mess anything up? Or is it just static that's bad?

Any warnings of what to absolutely not do would be great.

Thanks
~Kinesis22

"Since there's only one of me shouldn't my opinion be doubled?"
"Is it possible to play that game in your sleep?" "Oh definitely, I think better in my sleep."

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
If you're interested, you can contact U.S. ASUS support at this page to see what options you have for sending it to ASUS for repair and if you didn't know other G53Jw owners have seen this problem, you may want to check and mention this thread power connector pin broke on my G53jw to see if you can get any 'special consideration' for this problem.

If you don't like the options they offer you, send me a PM to cl-albert and I'll check if I can get you any better solutions.