cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Owner - Tweaks? Lots of hate.

Jerrduford
Level 7
I recently purchased the Best Buy model of the G750. I'm quite happy with it so far. However I was curious what tweaks and laundry list I should have to get this thing to maximum gaming performance. Tweaks in the Nvidia control panel? I am using the ASUS overclocker.

Also - I find it noteworthy how many people (especially at work, very tech-oriented) hate on me for going the route of the gaming laptop instead of desktop. I'm not sure I could really build a desktop gaming system, peripherals and all.. for 1200 that is about the same performance.

It has made me think twice about the purchase though - I am still able to return it to Best Buy.

Anyone have any suggestions or want to shed some light?

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

Flea0
Level 10
well, a gaming laptop is never going to be the best value for money deal. Yes they are heavy and barely upgradeable, but people buy them so that they can move their system around, or if they don't have space for a desktop. I need to move around often, and I also enjoy having all my peripherals packed into a single relatively compact device with only one cable sitting around. You can't really watch a 3D bluray movie in bed with a desktop PC, or have LAN parties at friends' houses. you can with the G750. Also, it has a MUCH lighter impact on the electricity bill, which people forget VERY often.
A LOT of people don't understand that and only see the downsides, but that's just how it is.

If having a laptop or a desktop is really the same for you, then for 1200 you could have a gaming rig with the specs you want (a GTX 760, for example, would be 60% faster than the 770M in the G750JX) assembled by a professional and handed over to you "ready for use". A lot of tech shops offer that service, and that is probably why your colleagues at work think you overspent with a gaming laptop. It's really a matter of how you plan to use it.
ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display

TX2000
Level 8
well i love my new rog and also my desktop . it depends what are you going to do. desktop you have to be in your house to use it or if you are
adventurous you can install it in you local Starbucks.... but i am mostly playing on my laptop anyways. want to mess with them ? invite them to a lan party 😄

TX2000
Level 8
and Haters gonna hate 😛

EpIcSnIpErZ23
Level 8

Haters gonna Hate 😄
Desktop: [CPU: i5-4670k] [GPU: R9 290x] [RAM: 8GB] [HDD: 3x 1tb Raid 0] [MOBO: MSI Z87 M-Power]

Asus G750JW-DB71
CPU: Intel Core i7-4700HQ
GPU: Nvidia GTX 765m [GPU CLOCK: 997MHZ] [MEMORY CLOCK: 6 GHZ]
RAM: 12GB
HDD: 1x 1TB HDD
SSD: 1x 64GB SSD
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198055414700/
Origin ID: DriftingSloth