Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2665946 should fix display driver not working crashes/freezes. simple fix, hope it helps.

As for chopping up in games after a while, make sure your power settings are set to high in windows. More importantly, open nvidia control panel 3d settings and under manage 3d settings you have two options:

1) create a profile under the program settings tab (click add, add your game) and under the settings for "Power Management Mode" select "Prefer maximum power", and save it.

2) under global settings, set "Power Management Mode" to "Prefer maximum power"

the first option will keep your game running smoothly for as long as you want, by keeping the clock speeds and power consumption at the max level your game requires

the second option will do the same but even when you aren't gaming, so if you're worried about power consumption i'd go with the first option.

Hope this helps
    My laptop makes your desktop self-conscious~ Now with more Hello Kitty!

ROG Member Array

I have already done what that link instructed. I changed the power management mode to prefer maximum power, but that did not solve the issue.

I tried playing Minecraft again and this time when it crashed I received a different result. First, when Minecraft froze/crashed, I could still see my world, but the color was very yellow. Usually the entire window turns white and I cannot see my world anymore. Also, instead of a popup saying that "Your graphics driver stopped working and recovered" I received a popup saying that java.exe has been blocked from accessing the graphics hardware. Minecraft also closed itself instead of me having to go to the task manager and end task java.exe. A dialog box popped up asking if I would like to go to: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3007. I pasted the problem details in the Action center below, don't know if they are any help.

Source
    Windows

Summary
    Video hardware error

Date
    ‎8/‎1/‎2013 6:35 PM

Status
    Report sent

Description
    A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
    OS Version: 6.2.9200.2.0.0.768.101
    Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
    BCCode: 142
    BCP1: FFFFFA80073FD4D0
    BCP2: FFFFF880045EEE30
    BCP3: 0000000000000000
    BCP4: 0000000000001078
    OS Version: 6_2_9200
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 768_1
    Bucket ID: 0x142_Tdr:6_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys

No bsod or anything else. If there are any other logs or error things I should be checking, please let me know. This problem is getting frustrating. I really like the computer and it preforms well when I am not trying to use the graphics card! Thanks.
    Last edited by WWtrain; 08-01-2013 at 10:57 PM.

We're getting there, we have more info now this is good.

Definitely a gfx issue. are you using 32 or 64bit Java? I think just uninstall and reinstall it. I think you've already messed with the gfx drivers but theres a new beta set out you can try thats pretty good and has been performance increasing for the newer cards. 660/670 should benefit from it.

Thats really all you can try for now.

ROG Member Array

I have both 32 and 64 bit java installed. Maybe that is the problem? The computer is running 64 bit Windows. Which one should I use? I don't have time to test this for a few days, but will definitely try it when I get the chance! Thanks.

I don't play minecraft so I'm not sure if 32bit required for that or not. If its not, and you don't have any other dependencies on it, I would remove them both and do a fresh install of 64bit only and see how that works out. Its worth noting I began freezing completely and not producing a dump to get a crash report about a month ago while just browsing w/firefox. After I installed the new beta drivers and did the MS fix for gfx timeout I don't freeze/lockup/crash anymore. Maybe the beta drivers can help you too.

ROG Member Array

So I haven't tried the beta drivers yet, but I have been playing on and off for a few hours the past few days and have not had an issue. I don't think Java is the problem, I think that it is something with my graphics card. Once when I was playing my screen flashed blue for a few milliseconds as if I got a bsod but then just returned to normal and I could continue playing. However, tonight I was trying to play Minecraft and couldn't, because it crashed after a few minutes. I also tried to use MCEdit and could not use that either. I managed to hit prtsc so here is a screenshot. I just started it up, didn't load a world or anything, just clicked on create. Its funny because I had just been using MCEdit a few hours before this for a while and had no problems.

Attachment 24728

ROG Member Array

So right as I was writing the above post, I got a bsod (Good thing for autosave!). Internet Explorer was the only app open, but Minecraft and MCEdit had both just crashed a few minutes beforehand. The gpu meter on the taskbar reported that there was no activity. So I looked at BlueScreenView. I am not sure how you like things like this posted, so I will try my best. I have no clue what it means. Thanks for helping me decode this!

Dump file: 080813-25921-01.dmp
    Crash time: 8/8/2013 10:26:11 PM
    Bug check string: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
    Bug check code: 0x0000003b
    Parameter 1: 00000000`c0000005
    Parameter 2: fffff802`0bf32be2
    Parameter 3: fffff880`1a20cb70
    Parameter 4: 00000000`00000000
    Caused by driver: ntoskrnl.exe
    Caused by address: ntoskrnl.exe+5a440
    Processor: x64
    Crash address: ntoskrnl.exe+5a440
    Full Path: C:\Windows\Minidump\080813-25921-01.dmp
    Processors count: 4
    Major version: 15
    Minor version: 9200
    Dump file size: 305,496
    Dump file time: 8/8/2013 10:27:43 PM

Hey sorry for the long delay in getting back. About to ask some questions, Its not my intention to make them sound patronizing but 0x3b bug check can be broad spectrum. There is a hotfix for it but I am not confident that you can use it with windows 8.

Are you using firewire?
    please uninstall the nvidia driver reboot then install a different version (try the beta ones)
    is it possible you can zip a few of your dump files and upload them/link them here?
    you can try this hotfix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/980932 I have doubts if it can be used with windows 8 though.

I will keep trying for a solution for you!

ROG Member Array

Thanks for replying! No, I am not using firewire. I attached the only dump file.

I read some advice to run sfc /scannow in the command prompt, so I tried it, but got a lot of errors. Here is what the command prompt said, and I will post the CBS logs later if you wanted to look at them.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]
    (c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
    of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
    example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
    supported in offline servicing scenarios.

The system file repair changes will take effect after the next reboot.

C:\Windows\system32>

Also, I read about using a utility named DriverSweeper after uninstalling the video driver, would you recommend me do that? Thanks so much for your help!

MiniDump.zip
    Last edited by WWtrain; 08-10-2013 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Attachment link wrong

For some reason when I try to open your attachment it redirects me to this.
    Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator
    So you were only able to ever produce the one dump file, is that right? Other crashes just lockup/freeze?

As for the CBS file you can just look at it in notepad and try to replace whatever files it's complaining about, It may or may not be attributing to your crashes though, but replacing corrupted files won't hurt. You can use driversweeper if you want but its not as bad as old ati drivers used to be. With nvidia, once you uninstall/reboot they're usually gone. What I do is; download the drivers I want from nvidia, uninstall current ones from device managers, reboot, then install the ones I downloaded previously.

I looked up 0x3b from a windows 8 only query and there was some interesting info regarding a windows update patch that lead to the crashes. Look in your installed updates for "KB2778344 " (Control panel>programs/features>Installed updates) if it is there remove it. Try furmark or heavy gaming to reproduce the crash for a few days, if not crashes I think you'll be good

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast