cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G46 Graphics Problem

WWtrain
Level 7
I just purchased the G46VW at BestBuy two days ago and really like it. However, I am having problems with my graphics. When I first turned on the computer, I installed the Windows updates, and updated the NVidia driver to the latest one. I then tried to run the Windows experience rating and got a bsod. (Windows 8 doesn't give you much info there!) When the computer rebooted I tried playing Minecraft and after a minute of gameplay, the Minecraft window turned unresponsive and white and I got the message that my display driver had stopped working and recovered. I have to open the task manager and force quit java quickly or I will also get a bsod. It appears that when the graphics driver recovers, it just stops working again. I tried reverting the driver back to a earlier version, but that did nothing to help. I went to the NVidia Control Panel and the rotating logo there renders properly and doesn't crash the driver, and if I set the preferred graphics driver to the high performance graphics, I don't get any errors when not using Minecraft. Does anyone have any ideas to what is happening? I bought the laptop because of it's dedicated graphics card, it is disappointing that it isn't working.

BTW, I am not really a gamer and the only game I have is Minecraft.
22 REPLIES 22

dclanz
Level 10
Try updating to the latest Nvidia Graphic drivers here http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win8-win7-64bit-320.49-whql-driver.html 🙂

Thanks for responding. I tried updating to the latest driver, but the problem still exists. I read online that creating a DWORD registry key named TdrDelay in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers set to 8 fixes the problem, as it increases the delay that the graphics card can be unresponsive. I have not tried it yet, but wanted to see if it was advised. Thanks for your help!

dclanz
Level 10
You are welcome. 🙂 Let us know if it works as your solution may be beneficial to others and welcome to the forums!

WWtrain
Level 7
After playing a lot, I found out that this doesn't exactly fix the problem. Instead of getting the "Display driver stopped responding and recovered" message after playing for about 1 minute, I can now play for about an hour before Minecraft lags hard and the display driver stops responding. I can play, but it isn't a perfect solution. Does anyone have any ideas that would get rid of the problem completely? Thanks.

Joystick
Level 7
Did you try a crash dump analysis, e.g. Whocrashed?

No, because the computer doesn't crash. A popup in the bottom right hand corner gives me the message that "Your display driver stopped working and has recovered." I tried running Whocrashed, and it told me nothing could be found. Thanks.

im having some graphics issues too,,, that was happening to me i updated the drivers, but i got something else.
Im playing crysis 3 at 50fps minimum settings and fraps open in the background, and my fps are droping from 50 to 12 and back to 50 every 10seconds, like a loop the game goes fast and the slow the fast and the slow,,, its tiresome and anoying, any ideas?

Joystick
Level 7
The computer doesn't crash yet, but you had a bsod, so you should be able to read the dump file. Maybe Whocrashed was not the best suggestion, try BlueScreenView.
A few months ago, after a big Windows update, I had random bsod on an old laptop. Graphics card was crashing. It was the firewall.

So this is weird. I tried BlueScreenView, but it reports 0 crashes. I received a bsod twice six days ago. Maybe something erased the dump files?