cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G46 won't boot, please advise

juggernaut1
Level 7
Long story short, I am in a frantic schedule to fix my house up, move 2000 miles, and remotely sell it once I'm moved. I could probably troubleshoot this issue with some skillful googling but I lack the time and I need this month-old computer to quit being the cherry on top of the **** sunday I have to eat over the next week. So I humbly ask for any advice on this issue:

I was using Opera (I know, but it's ergonomics are second to none, despite being a resource hog/netflix kills it). The Opera froze, and I pounded out the usual Ctrl+Alt+Del, nothing. Multiple times I did this, nothing happened, other programs would open and everything, but Opera was still sitting there, cross-eyed and drooling, and no resource-monitor to end the task.

I have low patience for problems of the '90s today, so I hit the power button. Screen went black but the front lights stayed on for 5 min. Got pissed again and held the power down. When rebooting, it showed the ROG symbol for 5 min, black screen for 5 more, now it's showing the Seattle picture but won't respond to clicks and spacebar. It's like a Pentium 1 is trying to boot windows 8.

So I'm thinking either the quick shutdown corrupted something important or maybe a virus. Computers come with enough bull**** software already so I never bother with Antivirus software because I hate hate hate extra resource-leaches. How do you restore windows 8 without being able to get into the OS?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
4 REPLIES 4

GottiBoi55
Level 10
You should try this procedure below!

Spam the "F8" key after you hit the start button (make sure to start spamming as soon as you hit start button)
This should bring you to the OS repair options.

1. Select "advanced options".

2. Select "Automatic Repair".

Hopefully this will fix your problem!
Good luck!

PS: You should try Norton Internet security, really low on resources!
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

Zygomorphic
Level 17
Try pressing F8 to get to the boot options menu, and then select "Advanced options" and "Refresh Windows". Oh, and it is likely a virus, since you do need AV protection. As to it being a resource hog, it really isn't that bad, and virus will slow down your computer more than AV software will. For the issues of junkware, just remove/disable it.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

juggernaut1
Level 7
Thanks so much for the help, already having to do it again. I miss my mac, but I also like games 😕

Well ****, same thing keeps happening after every refresh. I keep refreshing, installing webroot, and, like clockwork, the system slows down to laptop-projectile-angry-**** levels after less than a day of use. Waiting on a friend to forget to get me external hard drive back for the 23rd time right now, but once I can back my goods up, what do I push for a system wipe?

I forgot to mention it before but, it ended up being F12 that refreshes the computer, F8 doesn't do anything.