cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

120Watt PSU with asus g75vx

teun3sixty
Level 7
my original psu is broken due to my little puppy biting the wire(psu to laptop wire), in Aruba ordering a
new PSU would take up to 6 weeks for me to finally receive it.
I have another charger that fits (asus a53sv-xe1 charger, same 19.5V but 6.3A)

TDP of cpu is 45watt, gpu tdp 75watt, i am assuming that the gpu uses little less then 75watt(gpu load 100%@msi aftbrn@ -20 core, -50mem underclock),
cpu mostly points at 20watt max @2.4ghz.
brightness 50%

Does this damage my laptop in anyway? for example: I had the settings too high(gpu overclock'd and cpu @3.4ghz and the battery
was charging at the same time+max brightness) -->resulting in
it automatically switching to battery mode(but stopped charging the laptop and had to plug the charger outof the wall and reinsert it
for the psu to work again). I do not care so much about the charger's,
just the laptop's health. Could this affect my laptop's longevity in anyway?

P.S I know getting a new charger is recommended as i want to run at OC, but this question aims at the 120W only.

Thank you for your time and effort into this matter.

TM
5 REPLIES 5

Zygomorphic
Level 17
It shouldn't harm the laptop, though I won't make any promises. The key is to not game while using that charger. The chargers have overloading protection to protect against fires, so they may cut out the power, causing the laptop to switch to battery mode - killing your gaming performance. I would recommend ordering a new power supply, honestly.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Zygomorphic wrote:
It shouldn't harm the laptop, though I won't make any promises. The key is to not game while using that charger. The chargers have overloading protection to protect against fires, so they may cut out the power, causing the laptop to switch to battery mode - killing your gaming performance. I would recommend ordering a new power supply, honestly.

Ok thank you, I am a video editor and designer and need the upcoming 6 weeks to edit film on a trip. These power supplies are impossible to get where I am going 😉 but will be receiving the new PSU eventually when i get back.

Thankfully the gpu power isn't used that much, unless rendering with CUDA in after effects or premiere, thankfully 3ds max is cpu bound, mostly.

Thank you for your time, any more input is welcome 🙂

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
TM, hope things are going well in paradise, otherwise :)?

Anyway, you don't want to have any problems with your current 120w power supply and would suggest fully charging the battery while the notebook is turned off so that the battery does not charge when the notebook is turned on and draw more power than necessary from the 120w adapter.
Yes, dim the screen as much as possible, turn off the wireless, Bluetooth, try to avoid overclocking and drawing more power than is necessary (haven't calculated those wattage requirements though).
Try using the different Power4Gear modes if you haven't already and there may be ways to limit your GPU performance in the nVidia settings if you want to look into this.

You probably cannot or do not want to do this, but it may be a little safer to run the notebook only on battery power and just charge the notebook while it is turned off, but this will really limit how much you can use the notebook each day.

Sorry if these suggestions don't help too much, but hope they can help some.

Thank you cl-Albert for taking your time. I will play it safe and make sure i won't come near the 120W mark.
putting the processor at 99% max will disable the 2.4-3.4 ghz play and will keep the speed at maximum 2.4ghz.
close to minimum brightness as this screen is overly bright at maximum settings anyways, will take out second harddrive
, no keyboard light, little lower gpu clocks. This should do it 🙂

And indeed paradise haha, I welcome you guys any time when un-stressing is needed.

Cheers,

TM

As to the GPU clocks, there isn't much that you can do in the nVidia power settings. 😞 I would check to see if you can disable hyperhreading in the BIOS, as well as be careful when running the CPU maxed out. Just FYI, one core at 3.4 GHz uses up less power than four cores at 2.4 GHz. The issue is mosty when all the cores are active, so if you can set 3ds max to use only two cores, then that would be good to prevent over-loading. That, or when rendering, turn off the screen (if you can).
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23