cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to vent

EVIL_CONSERVATI
Level 7
OK This is BeavisZ, after my first post this server would not accept my password and upon request for reset I never received an E-MAIL I did this about 10 times since registration. I'm beginning to think that this server works on the same line as the last couple ASUS MB's I've bought. For instance my last board was the M3A32 MVP Delux. 2 RMA's to get a good one and 3 RMA's for memory that actually worked in it. ( why dont my Intel Boards have this pernikity problem ?) cost me 15% restock every time. As for my Crosshair 5 problem; after a week of ^&*%ing with it and subbing HDD's, memory configs and HDD's It got RMA'd now at least a two week delay before I see a new one. Heres my highest complaint about ASUS: I called their tech support, The guy actually spoke english I was suprised, after being put on hold about 10 times and later realizing this guy knew absoF#$%ingLUTELY nothing about computers and was using an automated trouble shoot system I hang up. I now feel trully dumber after speaking with ASUS support. ( is it plugged in ? are you using a clean CD ? what color is your flux capacitor?)
OK I vented ..
BTW to answer the question as to what my setup is:
Crosshair V formula- latest BIOS
Corsair Vengeance 16G 4x4 ( yes I tried all timing settings and single module in different ports. Still did not load OS past the initial windows install bar then Black Screen of death not Blue)
HDD's Vertex II 120G and RAID 0 Barracuda's 500G. (yes I tried with single drive's in every configuration even IDE mode and nothing)
1200W Thermaltake PS
Dual ATI 3870 GPU's Liquid Cooled, old but very fast for gaming.
Phenom X-6 1100T Liquid Cooled
Razer Copperhead mouse
Razer Lechisis keyboard. ( wierd but the boot screen on the Crosshair V always showed 2 keyboards present but this wasnt my problem because I tried subbing it with an old traditional KB and same old story but didnt show 2 keyboards present may have been the scripting feature or lights of the RAZER??)

Sorry if I P.O.D. anybody with my vent but It gets frustrating when your system is down and you cant FPS. BTW I'm typing this on an old P3 laptop that I dug out of the scrap pile WOW it actually works....... Dell Inspiron 1000 with an INTEL .. go figure.
1100 BE Liquid Cooled, CHV, 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 1866 @ 2032, two ASUS ATI 3870's liquid cooled O.C.ed to 890Mhz, 3 Velociraptor 500G in raid 0, ocz SSD boot drive, 1200W Thermaltake P.S.
16 REPLIES 16

chrsplmr
Level 18
During black screen any red lights?
Is it hang'n on the HD?

xeromist
Just a couple of notes:

Yep, email is not working for these forums. ASUS was made aware but I get the impression that it's more of a policy issue than a technical one. That means it likely won't change in the near future. Sorry that you forgot your password. I have so many that I'm always forgetting so I know the feeling 😞

Just an FYI, when I worked in technical support (not for ASUS) we were required to ask basic questions like that as well. It's just good practice because you never know if the person on the other end has been thorough. Even someone claiming to have 20 years of experience can miss something basic from time to time. The most common quote I remember hearing is "I've tried everything" which of course is not true because it would have been working if they had. I'm not saying that your support agent was a good troubleshooter (I've worked with plenty of people who had no business being in technical support) just that the basic questions aren't an indicator of their abilities.

Another thing to think about when calling phone support is that sometimes you just have to grit your teeth and follow along so that you can eventually escalate your issue to someone with more experience. Usually complainers will just get a lead or manager who may or may not have any better skills but if you follow the script to the end you have a better shot at getting a senior tech who can actually help you. Hanging up just means that you have to start over when you call back.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
The most common quote I remember hearing is "I've tried everything" which of course is not true because it would have been working if they had.

That is so far from accurate it's not funny !
If the board is faulty, you CAN try everything and it still won't work... the only thing left is a board replacement, but you can't "try" that now can you...

Picture this :

I have a faulty board... I have tried 100% everything to no avail.
So, what additional help will tech support provide ??
They will go thru all the steps and realise that i have indeed tried everything and will recommend a board replacement... thats all.

Get my drift ??

one more thing... you can't get off on a technicality. Replacing the board is not part of "trying" everything. Doesn't count.
AMD FX-8150 Stock
Custom water cooling
4Gig DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20
Asus Crosshair V Formula
Silverstone ST-1500 PSU
Corsair OBSIDIAN 800D
Auzentech X-Fi Prelude
Logitech Z-5500D
2 x Sapphire 6950's
Asus VW246H 24" 16:9 - MAIN
Win 7 HP 64Bit

vvulture wrote:
That is so far from accurate it's not funny !
If the board is faulty, you CAN try everything and it still won't work... the only thing left is a board replacement, but you can't "try" that now can you...

Picture this :

I have a faulty board... I have tried 100% everything to no avail.
So, what additional help will tech support provide ??
They will go thru all the steps and realise that i have indeed tried everything and will recommend a board replacement... thats all.

Get my drift ??

Except that a solid majority were cases where I could talk them through a fix. And most of the rest were fixable, just not with the skills and equipment that the average person possesses. "I've tried everything I know how to do" would be more accurate, but that's not what they said.

The original point that I was making though is that those basic troubleshooting questions serve a purpose. Some people miss something or need more guidance than others so everyone has to start from the beginning. In the long run it saves everyone time because the people who missed something will have a quick fix and that cuts down hold time for the people who really do have a problem beyond their ability to repair.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
"I've tried everything I know how to do" would be more accurate, but that's not what they said.

LOL... Don't try to get out of this mate... You were quiet clear with your last remark.

Here is a reminder :

xeromist wrote:
The most common quote I remember hearing is "I've tried everything" which of course is not true because it would have been working if they had.

:cool:
AMD FX-8150 Stock
Custom water cooling
4Gig DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20
Asus Crosshair V Formula
Silverstone ST-1500 PSU
Corsair OBSIDIAN 800D
Auzentech X-Fi Prelude
Logitech Z-5500D
2 x Sapphire 6950's
Win 7 HP 64Bit

vvulture wrote:
LOL... Don't try to get out of this mate... You were quiet clear with your last remark.

I'm saying it would have been more accurate for THEM to say that they had tried everything they know how to do. I'm not attempting to change my statement because the original was true: they said "I've tried everything", which isn't true. Unqualified, everything means that you have an oscilloscope and soldering iron and you have tested and repaired every piece of electronics involved in your problem. You have an electron microscope in your home and you have examined every chip for flaws, replacing them from a donor board. Everything means when your internet goes down that you drove out to the service provider's head end, broke in, and rebooted the router inside. Everything means you have both prayed and performed pagan rituals over the problem. Everything means *everything*.

I'd like to point out that this debate regarding the definition of "everything" is rather silly and not at all related to the thread topic.

LOL... ok ok ok.. I'll let you off the hook THIS time.. :rolleyes:
AMD FX-8150 Stock
Custom water cooling
4Gig DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20
Asus Crosshair V Formula
Silverstone ST-1500 PSU
Corsair OBSIDIAN 800D
Auzentech X-Fi Prelude
Logitech Z-5500D
2 x Sapphire 6950's
Win 7 HP 64Bit

xeromist wrote:
I'm saying it would have been more accurate for THEM to say that they had tried everything they know how to do. I'm not attempting to change my statement because the original was true: they said "I've tried everything", which isn't true. Unqualified, everything means that you have an oscilloscope and soldering iron and you have tested and repaired every piece of electronics involved in your problem. You have an electron microscope in your home and you have examined every chip for flaws, replacing them from a donor board. Everything means when your internet goes down that you drove out to the service provider's head end, broke in, and rebooted the router inside. Everything means you have both prayed and performed pagan rituals over the problem. Everything means *everything*.

I'd like to point out that this debate regarding the definition of "everything" is rather silly and not at all related to the thread topic.

yeah.... desoldering and resoldering components very often does resolve electronics issues however I dont imagine the vendor would be too happy about accepting it back once repairs were attempted and subsequently failed to resolve the issue. Ohh and my Electron microscope in my oxygen free laboroatory is currently under repair as my collidron particle loop went critical last week.
1100 BE Liquid Cooled, CHV, 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 1866 @ 2032, two ASUS ATI 3870's liquid cooled O.C.ed to 890Mhz, 3 Velociraptor 500G in raid 0, ocz SSD boot drive, 1200W Thermaltake P.S.

EVIL_CONSERVATIVE wrote:
yeah.... desoldering and resoldering components very often does resolve electronics issues however I dont imagine the vendor would be too happy about accepting it back once repairs were attempted and subsequently failed to resolve the issue. Ohh and my Electron microscope in my oxygen free laboroatory is currently under repair as my collidron particle loop went critical last week.

Yep, not suggesting that you do! Do not try this at home! 😄