cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RealBench - The power of an SSD

Chewitt
Level 10
So i got some new toys today from Kingston HyperX a nice new 16GB set of HyperX Beast ram and a 240GB HyperX SSD, so last night in anticipation i lowered my CPU down to 3.6 from 3.7 so as to make sure i could bench effectively with no issues after upping the RAM before any tweeks.

So we start off with Last nights bench.

8GB HyperX Gen and 500GB WD Carver Black = 337

Then tonight i did a mirror image copy of my WD drive to my new SSD and got this.

8GB HyperX Gen and 240GB HyperX SSD = 357

So i got a good increase of a solid 20pts just by adding an SSD, so i changed out the RAM and left its settings exactly as i had them for my old HyperX Gen and so they can be tweaked.

16GB HyperX Beast and 240GB HyperX SSD = 343

So a slight drop in score but the RAM is not set up to its full potential, also all of these runs were first runs with nothing disabled in the system, unfortunately i am now away on business till Friday night and so i wont be able to play with the RAM to see what i can get up to but as it stands it looks good for once i get back up to 3.7Ghz to be able to get into the 400's on the league so till the weekend i will be counting down the hours till i can play.

This highlights though how such an over looked component in a lot of peoples PC's and by cost saving and going for a HDD can really nuke your chances of having a powerful PC.
CPU - AMD Phenom II 555 OC'd and UCC'd to Phenom II B55 at 3709MHz
RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX Beast
MoBo - ASRock 890GX Extreme3
GPU - Asus HD 6850 Direct CU
SDD - 240GB Kingston HyperX

ROG RealBench Score = TBB
2 REPLIES 2

HiVizMan
Level 40
Cheers mate for the information. It is quire clear how big an jump is achieved simply by adding a SSD to a system. Looking forward to your next post about this matter.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Chewitt
Level 10
So had a chance to play with the RAM today and managed to jump up to 366 keeping the CPU at 3.6Ghz but setting the RAM to 1600 from 1066 so a nice 23pt jump from having the RAM correctly set up.

16GB HyperX Beast @ 1600 and 240GB HyperX SSD = 366

My next task is to try and get stable at 3.7Ghz with the extra RAM now to see if i can get into the 400's
CPU - AMD Phenom II 555 OC'd and UCC'd to Phenom II B55 at 3709MHz
RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX Beast
MoBo - ASRock 890GX Extreme3
GPU - Asus HD 6850 Direct CU
SDD - 240GB Kingston HyperX

ROG RealBench Score = TBB