Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Had a similar situation, the banding was there only when I had the power mode at battery saving setting. When I plugged the adapter in and went to "Performance mode"(power4gear button) the banding went away! This was with the drivers that were installed at factory.

G53sx-a1

Just tried with the latest nvidia drivers and the banding is there only when POWER4GEAR is set at "Battery Saver" mode. Which I assume is how it's supposed to function re. battery saver
    Last edited by g53ok; 12-29-2011 at 07:44 PM.

ROG Member Array

I think i may have the same problem, recently my display went from black to red, and anything black is discolored to red,
    Im thinking it may be my video card that is loose, or a driver problem,
    I had a Boot error msg stating their was a problem with the display driver but the problem was fixed, im going to reinstall drivers and if that doesnt work reboot the OS,
    if all fails ill open it up and see whats the problem.
    I still have till jan 31 for full return, thank you holiday season

ROG Member Array

MrDigou
    I think you may have a different problem as to the original posters concern.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by g53ok View Post
    Had a similar situation, the banding was there only when I had the power mode at battery saving setting. When I plugged the adapter in and went to "Performance mode"(power4gear button) the banding went away! This was with the drivers that were installed at factory.

G53sx-a1

Just tried with the latest nvidia drivers and the banding is there only when POWER4GEAR is set at "Battery Saver" mode. Which I assume is how it's supposed to function re. battery saver
    Does the screen resolution change from True Color 32-bit to High Color 16-bit when you switch from High Performance to Battery Saver mode? It sounds like image quality drops down to allow power savings. In other words "by design" (as you surmised) rather than being a problem.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ROG Enthusiast Array mrnotu PC Specs
    mrnotu PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)HP-Pavilion DV7-3165DX
    MotherboardASUS CrossHair V Formula
    ProcessorAMD FX-8370 4.0 GHz Black
    Memory (part number)SNIPER F3-14900CL9D-8GB X2 DDR3 1866
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX980-4GB5
    MonitorASUS VE258Q
    Storage #1SamSung SSD 840EVO 500GB
    Storage #2Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1TB
    CPU CoolerENERMAX LiqTech 120X 44MM
    CaseINWIN BUC MidTower
    Power SupplySilverStone SST-ST1000-P
    OS WIN7 PRO
    Network RouterTP-LINK TD-W8980 N600 Modem Router

I have been having the same problem. I think it started Dec 17 after a lenghty (140 MB) update. Having the same issues. I have done two restores to an earlier time with no effects. Reinstalled the drivers with a clean install. Readjusted the screens settings. The only other thing I know would be a clean install of the OS. I have two GPUs and I tried each one seperate did not help. When I had that update it was kinda strange. I had taken my laptop to the other room to use. I decided to use my desktop so I carried my laptop to the desktop and turned it on. The lap was already on and as soon as the desktop booted up both of them went into the update of my security system. I could not stop it. So I just had to sit back and wait for it to finish. 140 MB is alot of update I think. That is when I started having my problems. All of us canot be having the same hardware trouble at the same time can we? I ran scans with content cleaner, glary utilities, advance system5, combo fix, and norton with no joy. Seperately of course. I want to know what is going on.
    ASUS CrossHair V Formula, CPU: FX-8370 Black Unlocked Edition, CPU Cooler: ENERMAX LiquidTech 120x 44MM, Win7 Pro 64 bit, PSU: SilverStone SST-ST1000P, GPU: Asus GTX980-4GD5, Storage: Samsung SSD 840EVO 500GB, WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1T x2, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 1866 4x4GB, ASUS VE258 LED Monitor, ASUS BW-12B1ST Blu-ray Writer, RoseWell 25 in1 Card Reader, InWin BUC Case, TP Link Wireless N600 Modem/Router, SteelSeries KUH0702 keyboard or Longitech Wireless

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by mrnotu View Post
    I have been having the same problem. I think it started Dec 17 after a lenghty (140 MB) update. Having the same issues. I have done two restores to an earlier time with no effects. Reinstalled the drivers with a clean install. Readjusted the screens settings. The only other thing I know would be a clean install of the OS. I have two GPUs and I tried each one seperate did not help. When I had that update it was kinda strange. I had taken my laptop to the other room to use. I decided to use my desktop so I carried my laptop to the desktop and turned it on. The lap was already on and as soon as the desktop booted up both of them went into the update of my security system. I could not stop it. So I just had to sit back and wait for it to finish. 140 MB is alot of update I think. That is when I started having my problems. All of us canot be having the same hardware trouble at the same time can we? I ran scans with content cleaner, glary utilities, advance system5, combo fix, and norton with no joy. Seperately of course. I want to know what is going on.
    It could be the same hardware issue if it's a loose connection to the screen that is caused by something in the manufacturing process. I'm fairly certain my own issue with it is hardware related considering smacking the laptop fixes it.

ROG Member Array

Oh wow, I'm glad to see all the new replies since I've created this thread.

Here's a little update:
    I sent the unit back to my vendor for a replacement over two months ago (the one seen in the photos).
    The new unit was better, and didn't have any problems until about a month ago.
    I transported my unit almost daily to and from school, and I realised that this is the cause of the problem (well for at least me, personally).
    16-bit and pink pixels would display if I turned the laptop on, right after I took it out of it's sleeve when I was done transporting it.
    So this validates the issue that someone else suggested.
    It is due to either a loose cable, or a physically faulty GPU.
    It's also true that the problem can be temporarily resolved by tapping on the palm rest to the right of the trackpad.
    Another way is to lift the entire unit (or right half at least) off of it's surface and into the air.
    Place it back down, and lift it up again a few times.
    This can fix the problem for at least that boot cycle until you transport it again.

I'm debating whether I should send it into ASUS though.
    The problem hasn't occured for me in two weeks now, and I have developed my own solutions to fix it anyways.
    However someone else mentioned that ASUS was replacing the GPU/motherboard for them...which seems promising to permanently fixing this problem.
    I just got an ASUS RMA issued today, however does anyone know if they will pay for my end of the shipping too (if I argue for it)? They just told me to send it to their address, which I'm not a very big fan of paying for.

ROG Member Array

Well I can confirm now that a full clean install does not effect this problem at all. I have replaced the hard drives on my G53sx due to another issue, and started with a new fresh install of Win 7 and this problem still persists and has actually worstened lately.

I desperately need anyone who can help me find a way to fix this without RMA-ing it in any fashion. I need this computer for work and can not let it stay out of use for more than a weekend at most.

ROG Member Array

Update.
    I RMA'ed it back to Asus (Canada), and only had to pay for shipping there.
    They covered express shipping back though.

It took about a month in time for the full turn around (1 week shipping there on my cost), then 3 weeks with them, and only 2 days of express shipping back.
    They had to replace the VGA board, which is the one and only source of this problem. Strictly hardware related.
    However they had to wait for the part to be shipped in, which is why it took 3 weeks.

So I strongly suggest that anyone gets their laptop RMA'ed before their warranty runs out, otherwise you'll still have this problem down the road. Just bare in mind that they may have to wait for parts.

New ROGer Array

Angry Same Problem as MrDigou - again

Quote Originally Posted by MrDigou View Post
    I think i may have the same problem, recently my display went from black to red, and anything black is discolored to red,
    Im thinking it may be my video card that is loose, or a driver problem,
    I had a Boot error msg stating their was a problem with the display driver but the problem was fixed, im going to reinstall drivers and if that doesnt work reboot the OS,
    if all fails ill open it up and see whats the problem.
    I still have till jan 31 for full return, thank you holiday season
    Bought mine from TigerDirect on Black Friday and had the blasted red problem on July 30 contacted Asus and they sent me an update which fixed the problem until yesterday. I run my laptop on high performance always so it had nothing to do with that aspect. Another curious bit of info is that when I record the display with Snap 4 Screen Recorder and circle the bad areas that are seemly bleeding through in vivid red they are normal which denotes to me that the problem has something to do with refresh rate. Any comments???

I will most likely RMA this piece of crap that I spent over a G on and buy another laptop and when I get this one back give it to one of my kids or sell it, as I use my laptop in business every day and I need a reliable laptop. I bought this originally because of the dual fans, fast processor and Geoforce GX 560M. So back to the drawing board as to what kind of laptop will replace this one. My 2 cents

oh and for anyone who wants to try the ASUS customer support NVIDIA download - it was good today 9/15/12 dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/VGA/nVidia/VGA_nVidia_Win7_64_Z817129616.zip Peace All. My next laptop will be local from Bestbuy or someone who has instant turn around - any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast