cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G53SX display issues

legolas911
Level 7
I recently recieved the G53SX last week, and the monitor has started to display in colours similar to what you would see if you ran it in 16-bit.
The settings are at 1920x1080 resolution, 32-bit, and 60Hz.
If you look at the image below, the logon screen has a random blob of tinted green pixels at the bottom right of the screen. And when using windows, theres a yellow and green tinge to everything, etc. stuff that you will usually see in 16-bit mode.
I am curious as to why this is always doing this, I have the latest NVIDIA drivers installed (tried older releases too), used driver sweeper, etc.
The NVIDIA software doesn't seem to be causing this problem, and I'm starting to think that it's a hardware display defect.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Green blob at the bottom right of the screen.

Look at the rings around the galaxy, they do not look right.
31 REPLIES 31

Chastity
Level 10
I've seen that happen when the driver doesn't initialize properly, and the background images are generated to be 16bit. Changing the screen settings, and then reverting back to native settings usually fixes it.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

I've tried that many times already, and the problem still occurs..

irdmoose
Level 10
I've seen flaky internal connections do this as well. If a driver reinstall doesn't fix it, then the next step would be to back up your data and do an OS recovery (or boot to another os via CD or USB) to see if the problem persists. If it does, then it's likely a hardware issue and should be RMA'd or exchanged through the retailer where you purchased it (which is likely faster).

irdmoose wrote:
I've seen flaky internal connections do this as well. If a driver reinstall doesn't fix it, then the next step would be to back up your data and do an OS recovery (or boot to another os via CD or USB) to see if the problem persists. If it does, then it's likely a hardware issue and should be RMA'd or exchanged through the retailer where you purchased it (which is likely faster).

Yep, I can't be bothered to restore off the partition/DVDs and then try it again.
I've arranged a cross shipment RMA with my vendor.

If anyone else has a similar problem with the G53SX though, post here because I want to hear about it.

Retired
Not applicable
yehh i got the same problem white my g53sx, it worked fine like 2 days. then i was going to update my nvidia drivers and then, bang! i thinke it have somthing to do whit "Nvidia PhysX Utility" dont know how to thix the problem thoge"/ some helpe whulde be greate:D

Retired
Not applicable
i m having the same problem, i think it started being like this when i had to use a magnet to start my g53sx
the magnet probably magnetized something

kagawa
Level 7
i also hv the same problem,,i already bought it about 3 weeks,,before this i hv this problem when playing games,,it become to normal when i press alt+tab,,but today this problem does not solve,,do anyone of u hve this problem solve?,,or should i sent this laptop to service centre?,,

I have it too. I noticed it when I was watching some anime and the screen had TERRIBLE color banding issues. Something is way wrong. I also have the latest Nvidia drivers. When windows starts up...even the Windows symbol itself, the one that pulses before the log-in screen, has the color banding problem. I'm afraid this is a hardware issue. I will be contacting Tiger (bought it from them) and Asus to figure out what is going on. I have an Ubuntu disc I can boot from. I will check for color banding (16-bit color appearance) and report back here.5020

Check out this pic. It's a perfect example of the problem. I tried all kinds of configuration with Media Player Classic. Also, I've seen the color get REALLY bad as well. Like it was 8-bit color or something. But I restarted the PC and that went away. Bizzaro. Paying 1K for a laptop with a screen that doesn't look perfect is NOT cool!

Second image about 1 second later during a fade away. I think it's even more apparent here.

dstrakele
Level 14
What version NVIDIA driver are you running? Are you sure it is the laptop version? When you upgraded the NVIDIA drivers, did you choose the "clean install" option?

Have you tried a Windows System Restore to an earlier time before this problem manifested?

Have you examined the resolution setting in the NVIDIA Control Panel? Does it match what is reported by Windows?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT