cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gentle Typhoon AP-15 fans not going at full speed - maximus vi hero/H100i

mik3arm0
Level 7
Hi all

Got a weird issue that I'm hoping someone could help with. I'm using a Corsair H100i and changed the (horrible) stock fans for 2 x Scythe GT AP-15s.

The problem is the fans should go up to 1850 RPM max but they seem to max out at just 1700 rpm. I'm currently using AI Suite III to control fans, with a profile I set up. I can see the fans going to 100% on there, but AI Suite and HWMonitor both show 1700rpm only at that point.

The fans aren't PWM as opposed to the ones that came with the H100i, but I thought all the Z87 motherboards could fully control non-PWM fans now. Indeed it can change the speed, just doesn't seem to go to the full max rpm.

I expected the temps to go up slightly with these fans as they're not rated as high as the corsair ones, but I was happy to sacrifice a bit of performance for the sake of my ears. But now my temps have gone up about 5 degrees on IBT which is more than I wanted really.

Could it be a voltage thing - i.e. the mobo isn't giving the fans enough power for some reason? Or could it just be the monitoring that's the issue? Given the temp increase it does look to me like they're not spinning at their full speed.

Cheers

Mike
CPU: i7-4770k @ 4.4GHz 1.22v
MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Hero
RAM: 16Gb Corsair Vengeance @ 2000MHz
COOLER: Corsair H100i
CASE: Coolermaster CM690 II Advanced
GRAPHICS: Gigabyte Windforce 3X GTX670 SLI
PSU: 850W XFX Pro Black Edition
5 REPLIES 5

Praz
Level 13
All my AR-15 fans report about the same speed and I have them connected to 4 pin Molex connectors at the power supply.

mik3arm0
Level 7
Maybe that's just the way it is then. Seem odd as I've seen benchmarks like the one below where they're tested at various speeds up to 1850, but to be honest I'm happy with how quiet they are so guess I'll just not stress about it.

Praz
Level 13
The difference may be due to how the RPM signal from the fan is being interpreted.

mik3arm0
Level 7
Maybe so, in which case the temp difference between the fans is bigger than expected. Oh well no worries. Thanks for your help dude!

Praz
Level 13
You're welcome. 🙂