cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAXIMUS V FORMULA, 3770k @4.4, low voltage overclock?

MrGizmo
Level 7
Hello community, my first post here 🙂

I'm trying to overclock @4.4 with as low voltage as possible, my system is:
i7 3770K
ASUS Maximus V Formula
1600Mhz 16GB Gskill Z series (9.9.9.24 @1.5)
Cooler Master Hyper 212X
775W Thermaltake Toughpower XT

I managed to get 1 hour prime95 small FFT stable with settings written bellow, I just don't want to go to overnight burn test with low chances of success, therefore maybe you check these settings and maybe give me some suggestions.

BIOS settings:

turbo multiplier: 44
vCore offset: -0.015
Cpu PLL: 1.5
spread spectrum: auto
LLC: high (50%)
Cpu fixed frequency: 350
Cpu power phase control: ASUS Optimized
CPU current capability: 130%
C3 report: auto
C6 report: auto
package c state support: auto

Real cpu voltages are:
Idle (jumping around 0.856-1.192)
Medium Load, web brosing, music, movies etc. (1.184-1.192)
High Load, WINRAR Benchmark for example (mostly @1.176)
Under Stress, Prime95 small FFTs (stable @1.160 - 1.168)

Temps never go over 80-83c

Now my question is, should I consider this behavior as normal and go straight to overnight Prime95 blend test? I'm especially curious about voltages under stress, compared to casual load.
Or maybe I should change something.....just in case.....just to be sure ))

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

Chino
Level 15
Well, your settings look pretty good although your LLC is a little high for my taste. For 24/7 overclocks, I prefer to use Regular or Medium at most. Play around with that setting. It might just help you drop your temperatures a little.

HiVizMan
Level 40
If you wish to run hours on end of Prime that is your call. I have my doubts about the benefit of cooking a CPU for any length of time. Mainly because that is not how normal CPU usage is, nor how CPU's have been designed to work. But each to their own.

Your temps for 4400MHz seem a bit high for me, but that might just be down to the cooler. I would certainly keep a good eye on temps when running Prime for any length of time.

The behaviour of your voltage is normal. What is happening at idle is the different back ground services kick in and cause load on your CPU, and load on your CPU (indexing or AVS scanning for example) will cause the voltage to ramp up.

When under load, depending on the type of load there will be elements of vDroop which as you know is a Intel feature built into the processors to prevent any damage due to voltage spikes. 50% is not too high but I personally like regular or medium at most for day to day use.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

MrGizmo
Level 7
Thanks for opinions 🙂
I'm changed the way I was feeding CPU, my logic was lower idles and higher loads, because if I compare, my CPU idles more than has a heavy load. For that reason I was using negative offset -0.015 and High (50%) LLC.
Now I changed offset to positive 0.005 and decreased LLC to Medium (25%)......so far so good
CPU voltage under Prime95 Blend mostly 1.175 (rarely drops to 1.168) temps under 70c and after 20min when blend mode starts to stress system just like small FFT's (it actually calculates small FFT 8K tests), package drawing 96W, temps don't go over 80c and voltage never goes under 1.152 after 40min stress
Not yet tested with small FFT's but temps and voltage will be the same, just instantly instead (am I right here?)

P.S. Monitoring with HWMonitor

HiVizMan
Level 40
That method is way more healthy for your CPU. Your temps are well within the norm for that frequency and voltage. So far so good.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

yep, thank you.