cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Hero sound problem

gcatalin
Level 7
Hi,

Two weeks ago i bought my Hero board and i like it very much, but i have an issue with it. Sometimes when i install software, and i only get this when installing something (games,apps), i get a weird buzz in my speakers for a few seconds. The computer isn't hanging from what i can tell, but the buzzing is there. Like a bad interference. What could it be ?
121 REPLIES 121

bbq4tw
Level 7
I have the same board and am having a similar problem. I used the on board sound when I first set up the board but I kept getting crackling and popping when any sound was played. I switched out to my soundblaster x-fi titanium (pci-e 1x) and still get the crackling and popping. The funny thing is if I reboot, everything is crystal clear for a while but the crackling and popping show up soon enough. i updated to the latest bios but that didn't help. Probably gonna format again and see if that helps otherwise I have no clue what to do.

bbq4tw wrote:
I have the same board and am having a similar problem. I used the on board sound when I first set up the board but I kept getting crackling and popping when any sound was played. I switched out to my soundblaster x-fi titanium (pci-e 1x) and still get the crackling and popping. The funny thing is if I reboot, everything is crystal clear for a while but the crackling and popping show up soon enough. i updated to the latest bios but that didn't help. Probably gonna format again and see if that helps otherwise I have no clue what to do.

Same issue here with the crackling and popping. I have a 5.1 channel system running out of the on-board ports with the Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1.6971 on Windows 8 x64. The sound will start out fine when I first boot up the computer but then not too long after that it starts to snap, crackle, and pop at the start of any sound. (windows system sounds, music, video)

Would love any help fixing this.

HiVizMan
Level 40
I wonder if there is any sign of damage to the wires that connect to your front panel. Run your fingers over the cables to feel for any tiny nicks or cuts. Also inspect the motherboard tray to see if there is any contact. I have had similar static once before and that was caused by a earthing issue due to a cut wire touching the case.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

The odd thing is that i get this only a few seconds while installing anything. While a setup is running. I will try to check all wires.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yeah I have no guarantee that this is what is causing your error, but you have nothing to loose by trying.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Raja
Level 13
I would start by manipulating bt rates and see if that helps or not. If not, might be worth listing how things are setup, connected and the audio devices used. Plus I'd mention if this is a fresh install of the OS or not and i'e you've installed any codec packs. One of the best ways to debug this is to use a spare HDD and perform a bareminimum OS install with just the necessary drivers. See if the issue still manifests.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
If not, might be worth listing how things are setup, connected and the audio devices used. Plus I'd mention if this is a fresh install of the OS or not and i'e you've installed any codec packs. One of the best ways to debug this is to use a spare HDD and perform a bareminimum OS install with just the necessary drivers. See if the issue still manifests.

I'm actually about to reinstall windows on this machine to set up UEFI mode since I just realized it wasn't set by default when I installed windows about a week ago. So, I'll test and troubleshoot when I have everything freshly set up with no codecs or anything and post back here with any results.

For reference, my current set up is Asus Maximus VI Hero using their SupremeFX on-board audio, Creative 5.1 speakers(green,black,orange cables coming out of the back I/O), Windows 8 x64, Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1.6971, AC3Filter ver. 2.5b.

Try disabling SLI or Crossfire. I know I had an issue a while back with Tri-SLI. See if that's the issue.

Ok So im having a weird and frustrating sound problem too. Relatively fresh install. New build. No cracking or popping. My sound starts to stutter randomly and then sometimes cuts out completely for several seconds, then returns to normal, then starts stuttering and cutting out all over again. It always happens when im gaming. Ive tried several games recently. Alien Isolation, Diablo 3, Farcry 4, Infnite crisis. No matter what game im playing, this problem keeps happening, and its getting worse. It doesnt do it when im playing music or watching videos as far as i know. Only specifically when im gaming, or running a program that plays music in the background. Its driving me mad. Ive looked on the asus site and made sure all my drivers are up to date. Im using an older Logitech 5.1 surround speaker set that plugs into the analog ports in the rear. Any idea what is causing this?!
ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | i9 14900ks | | G. Skill Trident Z5 8000 | 2x WD SN850x 4gb | Asus Strix RTX 4080 OC| Asus ROG Thor 1200w | Windows 11 Pro