Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    overlucked
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian@ASUS View Post
    halflife locks on default at 70FPS. have you typed in console fps_max 100?
    Yes, of course,I also typed "net_graph 1" to see the fps...
    And guess what's happening when I minimize the window while I'm playing half life: start the nvidia task manager... No half life task in Nvidia menu, so I guess it's loading from the intel vga... so optimus ****s ! The driver I've installed is the last one from the nvidia site, so is it optimus the global problem, or the driver of the optimus ?! In both cases it's nvidia fault...

overlucked
    Come on? isn't there any solution how to turn off intel video?

MrSzekely89
    Helo. I have the same laptop. I dont know why but my 310m card is hidden or something because i cant install nvidia driver, it says "cant find compatible grafic card". So i can install only the intel driver, but i need the nvidia for games... Someone knows why i have this problem?

New ROGer Array

Optimus technology is a really, really bad result to a genius idea. Locking the machine on a specific configuration is a tradidional Asus procedure, bad and stupid.
    There is no way to disable the Intel HD and the optimization between nVIdia and intel HD on this machine is not good.

Brian@ASUS the selection in the nVidia control panel is fictive, the result is that there is no way to manually select the graphic card. Run tests in both manual selection and auto and you will see the same results. But if you really work for ASUS then you know better than me. The only way you can activate the nVIdia (to work behind the Intel HD) is from Windows. Click right on the shortcut and select : Run with graphic proc.... .

@MrSzekely89 : Your problem is the Windows. Use Windows 64Bit, Ultimate. Not professional or home edition.
    I had Win 7 Prof. 32bit and I had the same problem, and when I spend more of MY money to upgrade the problem was solved.
    You should also check that in BIOS, the VGA option is set to Windows 7/Vista, not Reserved.

My advice (as a Hardware Engineer)...sell it fast and buy something else.
    Cheers.

New ROGer Array

How to enable Optimus? ;)

I have same problem on my pc whit Intel HD graphic and Nvidia 630M. So if i understood correctly, Optimus switches from Intel HD, to Nvidia onyl when laptop needs more Graphic power? SO where can i enable this Optimus? :P

Thanks

New ROGer Array

half solution found---

Hi all,
    I'm new here.
    i have the same problem with nvidia optimus, i also tried to disable intel graphics.

what i tried:
    go to control panel, system, device manager.
    then list devices, expand graphic cards. Then right click on intel graphics card and deactivate it.

The screen goes black. Force power off the pc.
    Then, when rebooted, the pc will be forced to use the high performance graphic card as default (for me a geforce gt540m).

now the problem is, that there is no driver for the high performance card alone.

I tried to install downloaded drivers, but the card is still not recognized as a stand alone card.
    When i looked for specs of the graphic cards, a lot of information fields resulted empty.

So the question is:
    Disable the integrated intel card is possible, but how to make the high performance card work properly??
    When the integrated card is disabled, screen resolution options, under the high resolution cards are almost disabled, so the card does not work.

Can onyone make a try?

Thanks.

NF.

You have Optimus, which is a very special type of graphics card. Optimus uses either the Intel chip alone or both the Intel chip and the nVidia chip simultaneously. When nothing is taxing the graphics card (no 3D operations), then the Intel chip handles everything. However, when 3D operations (such as games) are being done, the nVidia card takes those operations and uses them to render the scene into its video memory.

For hardware reasons, you cannot have two DACs (Digital to Analog Converters) hooked up to the same monitor at the same time and both be driving the same interface. Thus, the Intel is the only card connected to the monitor, and it is responsible for converting the memory image into a physical image on the screen. In order for it to do this, it must have the image that the nVidia card renders. It gets this by having the nVidia card push the final image out onto the PCIe bus into main memory, where the Intel card works. The Intel card takes this and uses it like a video to render to the display.

Because the 60 fps at system resolution is uncompressed video, it chews up a lot of bandwidth, which can cause a bottleneck when running graphics and memory intensive games. Alienware's m11x, for instance, actually has situations where the first revision (core 2 duo) outruns the second (first-gen i5) because the former had the nVidia card physically attached to the GPU (it used BIOS level switching, causing screen blanking), whereas the second used the Optimus technology.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

New ROGer Array

That mean if you have optimus laptop, you are screwed? you are tied up with Intel display...

But please tell me why my friend: Asus A43 laptop with i3 2330M and nVidia GT 520M

on windows 7 device manager show nVidia only as the only VGA without Intel HD 3000.

As far as I know i3 2330m is a sandy bridge with Intel HD 3000, and GT 520M is one of optimus enabled cards.

I am really confused, is there something to do with: "mux-ed" laptops before and "mux-less" laptops now??

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by AjGilee View Post
    That mean if you have optimus laptop, you are screwed? you are tied up with Intel display...

But please tell me why my friend: Asus A43 laptop with i3 2330M and nVidia GT 520M

on windows 7 device manager show nVidia only as the only VGA without Intel HD 3000.
    Only laptops marketed with Optimus have it. Your friend's A43 doesn't have Optimus so the HD3000 is not used and the 520M runs as a dedicated GPU.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

Quote Originally Posted by xeromist View Post
    Only laptops marketed with Optimus have it. Your friend's A43 doesn't have Optimus so the HD3000 is not used and the 520M runs as a dedicated GPU.
    My guess is that it does. What does the palm sticker say? It will tell you if Optimus is enabled.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast