Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    New ROGer Array

NGFF M.2 SSD in the Mpcie combo2 slot

Regarding the NGFF combo connector on the Gene, Formula, and Extreme boards. Given the size of the NGFF drives that are being marketed toward fast storage speed are we going to see clearance issues with the motherboard heatsinks.

"http://rog.asus.com/238712013/country/rog-hq/this-is-why-ngff-is-the-best-choice-for-maximus-vi-motherboards/"

Even in that link it shows the ADATA 22x80mm drive but in the manuals for the mpcie combo ii connector it specifically mentions 22x42mm as the drive spec. Is this an oversight as all the performance m.2 ssd's will likely be 80mm long and will there be a driver provided/required for running a native pcie m.2 drive in the connector as I am looking at either dropping one of these ADATA drives or the samsung XP941 (both of which are native NVME/pcie) into my Maximus Vi gene.

Quote Originally Posted by cacnoff View Post
    Is this an oversight as all the performance m.2 ssd's will likely be 80mm long and will there be a driver provided/required for running a native pcie m.2 drive in the connector as I am looking at either dropping one of these ADATA drives or the samsung XP941 (both of which are native NVME/pcie) into my Maximus Vi gene.
    When taking performance you are thinking SATA 6 Gb/s? If so the the Combo slot is connected by a single PCIe 2.0 lane. The performance will be similar as what is seen when using a SATA 6 Gb/s SSD on the onboard Marvell or ASMedia SATA 6 Gb/s controllers. Also when installing one of these drives one of the Intel onboard SATA 6 Gb/s ports will be disabled.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array Abula's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Praz View Post
    The performance will be similar as what is seen when using a SATA 6 Gb/s SSD on the onboard Marvell or ASMedia SATA 6 Gb/s controllers.
    This new standard can pass the limitations of SATA III, i thought the idea was to have a faster ssd, but what you are implying is that it will be like running an ssd on a subpar port like Asmedia/Marvel. If this is true, then why even create it, i though it was innovation from ASUS given their ROG users first dibs on new faster tech than anyone else, but if its design to be a subpar interface that wont deliver what others M.2 ssd platforms will ofer.... then i think was a waste of resources. Personally i was keeping my eyes for the new intel 530s and samsung 941, and others that will release this new format to add it to my gene VI, but now idk if I should.
    DESKTOP >> MSI Z87-GD65 | Intel Core i7-4770K | Thermalright HR-22 | Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR3 1600 | nVidia GTX780 + ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme III | Samsung SA850 | Samsung 840pro 512GB | Hitachi 7K1000 1TB | Fractal Design Define R4 | SeaSonic X-660

FAN STATION >> ASUS Maximus VI Gene | Intel Pentium G3220 | Thermalright HR-02 | Kingston Value RAM 4GB DDR3 1333 | Intel X25-M 100GB | Asus VE278Q | Silverstone TJ08B-E | picoPSU 150XT + 150W EDAC Brick

Quote Originally Posted by Abula View Post
    This new standard can pass the limitations of SATA III
    Yes if used with PCIe 3.0. The board specs state the expansion slot is PCIe 2.0 x1 which will limit bandwidth to less than 6Gb/s.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array Abula's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Praz View Post
    Yes if used with PCIe 3.0. The board specs state the expansion slot is PCIe 2.0 x1 which will limit bandwidth to less than 6Gb/s.
    Thank you for the info, really appriciate the confirmation. Personally dissapointed on this, as i was looking foward to having a faster ssd without committing to raid. I guess ill have to wait for Skylake GENE VIII and sata express =)
    DESKTOP >> MSI Z87-GD65 | Intel Core i7-4770K | Thermalright HR-22 | Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR3 1600 | nVidia GTX780 + ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme III | Samsung SA850 | Samsung 840pro 512GB | Hitachi 7K1000 1TB | Fractal Design Define R4 | SeaSonic X-660

FAN STATION >> ASUS Maximus VI Gene | Intel Pentium G3220 | Thermalright HR-02 | Kingston Value RAM 4GB DDR3 1333 | Intel X25-M 100GB | Asus VE278Q | Silverstone TJ08B-E | picoPSU 150XT + 150W EDAC Brick

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array JimmyH PC Specs
    JimmyH PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus VIII Foruma
    Processor6700K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance (CMU32GX4M4C3000C15R)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX-970 Strix
    Graphics Card #2ASUS GTX-970 Strix
    MonitorBenq 27" x 2
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Primo
    Power SupplyCorsair RM 1000W
    Keyboard Strix
    Mouse Strix
    Headset Logitech933
    OS Windows 10 Pro

I don't think it's an oversight at all. The card specs have to be 22mmX42mm. I don't think it was made for a performance SSD, the ADATA drives for those specs only go to 64 GB, besides, ASUS just released their http://www.asus.com/Storage/RAIDR_Express_PCIe_SSD/

CPU i7 6700K: MB Maximus VIII Formula: Corsair Vengeance 3000 (4x8GB) : 2 x Asus GTX970 Direct CU 2 OC SLI: Samsung SM951 M2 SSD, 2 x Kingston Hyper X
    500GB Velocerapter, PSU Corsair RM 1000W
    Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo: Custom Cooling EK, 360 mm Loop

Quote Originally Posted by Abula View Post
    Thank you for the info, really appriciate the confirmation.
    You're welcome.

imMortal Kombatant Array Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Rampage IV Formula
    ProcessorIntel i7 3930K
    Memory (part number)8GB Corsair XMS3 1600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Radeon 7970 3GD5
    Sound CardROG Xonar Phoebus
    MonitorSamsung SyncMaster SA300
    Storage #1Corsair Neutron 128GB
    Storage #2Seagate 2TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair A50 Pro Air Cooler
    CaseBitFenix Merc Alpha
    Power SupplyThermaltake Litepower 700W
    Keyboard Alienware TactX Keyboard
    Mouse Tesoro Gandiva H1L
    OS Win7 Ultimate x64

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    I don't think it's an oversight at all. The card specs have to be 22mmX42mm. I don't think it was made for a performance SSD, the ADATA drives for those specs only go to 64 GB, besides, ASUS just released their http://www.asus.com/Storage/RAIDR_Express_PCIe_SSD/
    Yeah they have, and it's disappointing. You can get 2 120GB's here in Aus for half the price and get better read/writes in RAID0...hell with the right brand, you can get FOUR 120GB SSD's for less than the price of the RAIDR and have insane numbers.

New ROGer Array

Don't forget, the RAIDR Express is only PCIe 2.0 x2 also

Quote Originally Posted by Kibidongo View Post
    Don't forget, the RAIDR Express is only PCIe 2.0 x2 also
    2 PCIe 2.0 lanes provides plenty of bandwidth for the advertized performance numbers of the RAIDR Express.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast